ixus870_sd880 port started - page 13 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

ixus870_sd880 port started

• 245 Replies
Re: ixus870_sd880 port started
« Reply #120 on: 03 / May / 2009, 13:49:27 »
Advertisements
Hi all!

I'm about to buy the sd880 and I have a few questions before I buy it.
1) should i upgrade to the latest canon original firmware in order to use chdk? or if i'll upgrade i wont be able to use it?
2) are there any problems with using chdk on a large sd card? (8gb) if so, i'll just ask for a 4gb instead.
3) generally, are you happy with this camera? Do you consider it a good buy?

Thank you all for you help!!

Uri.

« Reply #121 on: 03 / May / 2009, 14:12:01 »
1) should i upgrade to the latest canon original firmware in order to use chdk? or if i'll upgrade i wont be able to use it?

As of today any (known) firmware version should be fine, it seems.

2) are there any problems with using chdk on a large sd card? (8gb) if so, i'll just ask for a 4gb instead.

If you want CHDK to boot as soon as you turn the camera on, you will have to do something special (i.e. make two partitions; one very small for CHDK and one big for the rest) for big cards. Depending on how you plan to access the contents of your card, this might mean that you also have to do another special thing to see the right partition  (only for Windows, I believe). You might want to check the wiki and the forums for details to see if it will be a problem for you. Personally, I've had no problems with it.

3) generally, are you happy with this camera? Do you consider it a good buy?

This one is for someone else. I seem to have spent more time porting than actually using the camera. ;)

« Reply #122 on: 03 / May / 2009, 15:08:33 »
Thank you for your quick answer!

2 more question:
1) Do you recommend upgrading to the latest firmware as soon as i get the camera?
2) Using chdk NOT during boot shouldn't be a problem on big card, right?
3)Will I have to use partitions on a 4gb card as well? or just on cards bigger then 4 gb?

Sorry for the trouble,
Thanks for the answers and the port!!! (-:

Uri.

« Reply #123 on: 03 / May / 2009, 15:21:41 »
1) Do you recommend upgrading to the latest firmware as soon as i get the camera?

I'd guess you'd get recent firmware on new cameras. However, if there is an upgrade, I'd look at what exactly it fixes. As far as I can tell upgrading isn't something that is really important at the moment.

2) Using chdk NOT during boot shouldn't be a problem on big card, right?

Right. It only means you'll have to manual activate CHDK every time you want to use it.

3)Will I have to use partitions on a 4gb card as well? or just on cards bigger then 4 gb?

4GB is the limit, so only if it is more than 4GB you'll need two partitions for autoboot.

« Reply #124 on: 04 / May / 2009, 18:02:13 »
It happens in live preview mode. I think it is because I have "AF Frame" set to "Face Detect" in the Canon Options Menu. I just noticed the little square face detect box flashes whenever it happens. I tried both "AiAF" and "Center" and the problem went away. As soon as I changed it back to "Face Detect" it came back.
autostart and firmware-updated-based-startup both work fine with the latest build here, but the menu problem isn't limited to the face detection. It happens regardless of Canon-OSD icons showing up, i can't figure out a trigger for that behaviour...

« Reply #125 on: 04 / May / 2009, 18:26:48 »
autostart and firmware-updated-based-startup both work fine with the latest build here, but the menu problem isn't limited to the face detection. It happens regardless of Canon-OSD icons showing up, i can't figure out a trigger for that behaviour...

It happens any time the Canon firmware displays something (new) on the screen (except for the live feed itself). Sometimes it doesn't seem to be displaying anything new, but that is probably because the CHDK already removed it again. I wouldn't spend any more time figuring out specific cases as they all should have the same cause. To avoid the problem you'll just have to use on of the settings that doesn't cause this problem (or at least not too often) for now.

« Reply #126 on: 05 / May / 2009, 02:12:34 »
To avoid the problem you'll just have to use on of the settings that doesn't cause this problem (or at least not too often) for now.
Yeah, currently i configure CHDK in replay mode - that works perfectly fine :)

« Reply #127 on: 05 / May / 2009, 15:07:17 »
Hi,

Just bought the SD880-> great camera!

I formatted the card to fat16 and have 1.02b firm version.
I'm trying to load CHDK on the 32MB card.
I copied the CHDK folder from the post #54, and the .bin+.FI2 file from post #82 . Is this currect?

After i turn on the camera and do the firm update, the camera stucks with black screen and i have to remove the battery.

What am i doing wrong??

Please help me, i bought this camera because of CHDK was available for it (-:

Thanks all!!!
« Last Edit: 05 / May / 2009, 15:08:58 by uri998 »

« Reply #128 on: 05 / May / 2009, 15:55:07 »
I copied the CHDK folder from the post #54, and the .bin+.FI2 file from post #82 . Is this currect?

Try the ones in post #117: http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,3309.msg33458.html#msg33458

« Reply #129 on: 05 / May / 2009, 16:35:35 »
It works! thanks!

Just one more question:
I tried to set the shutter speed, and still it takes the shoot in the same speed.
How do i make it work?

Thanks for the help guys!