how to firmly connect external power on SD700IS - Hotwire! Hardware Mods, Accessories and Insights - CHDK Forum

how to firmly connect external power on SD700IS

• 7 Replies
how to firmly connect external power on SD700IS
« on: 18 / March / 2009, 18:21:25 »
Advertisements
Hi, I was wondering how could I firmly connect an external power source to a SD700IS. The camera will be installed on a rocket so this connection (as well as all the moving parts...) should resist vibrations as the rocket reaches mach 7 and 100km height.

Using a dummy battery (from ACK-DC30), the battery contact doesn't seem to resist great vibrations. Also, soldering directly on those camera contacts seems pretty impossible from the outside although it might be the best solution. Anyway, I haven't tried opening the camera yet.

Also, the camera should start filming on a predetermined moment. I thought about fiscally letting the power button pressed and just controlling the battery power, as I read somewhere on this forum.. This way from this point CHDK should handle the camera operations like a charm.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions

Offline RaduP

Re: how to firmly connect external power on SD700IS
« Reply #1 on: 22 / March / 2009, 18:51:38 »
Mach 7??
I am not sure the camera lens will survive, some people reported lens error after the camera was dropped from like 30 cm. Either way, if you have access to such a rocket, I guess the cost of the camera is not a problem, so just open the camera and solder the new battery directly on the external power connector. Then to make sure it will stay there, you can glue the battery to the camera with some epoxy or something.

Is there any reason you want to use a Canon camera though? if I were you, i'd use a camera without movable lenses, connected to a PIC/AVR microcontroller.

« Reply #2 on: 26 / March / 2009, 22:10:37 »

« Reply #3 on: 16 / April / 2009, 09:58:58 »
I think the camera will work well through a very wide temperature range.

if the barrel style power connector isn't flight worthy then you should be able to pop the case off the camera and soldier leads where the power connector meets the circuit board. i've done this without too much trouble and can verify that the camera will likely survive a momentary polarity reverse.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #4 on: 16 / April / 2009, 19:30:54 »
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #5 on: 05 / August / 2009, 06:51:59 »
It is very nice to see.Thanks for sharing this.Thank you.
pass4sure is famous for help candicates pass IT exams for sure.

« Reply #6 on: 12 / March / 2010, 00:26:57 »
Hi, I was wondering how could I firmly connect an external power source to a SD700IS. The camera will be installed on a rocket so this connection (as well as all the moving parts...) should resist vibrations as the rocket reaches mach 7 and 100km height.

Using a dummy battery (from ACK-DC30), the battery contact doesn't seem to resist great vibrations.
You can make your own dummy battery coupler out of plexiglass or wood and then glue/solder all the wires in place...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/timescience/sets/72157623581979614/

« Reply #7 on: 10 / June / 2010, 08:35:28 »
Mach 7??
I am not sure the camera lens will survive, some people reported lens error after the camera was dropped from like 30 cm.

Dropping a camera on a hard surface will shock it to several hundred G. You're decelerating from a few m/s to zero in a few milliseconds. 7G should be trivial, even people can survive that!