Is CHDK for SX1 possible in the future - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

Is CHDK for SX1 possible in the future

• 9 Replies
Is CHDK for SX1 possible in the future
« on: 20 / March / 2009, 18:18:03 »
Advertisements
Hi all

As owner of an S2 IS (since 2005), my new SX1 IS is finally the awaited worthy upgrade. BUT: I really miss CHDK on the SX1 (basically the scripts like motion detection)....on the SX10 side there is already a first version available. I'm really envy you guys (owner of a SX10).

I've managed to dump the 2.00h firmware (after official upgrade) to the forum/section here, but despite of having some programming skills (even assembler in older times) I'm a little bit lost. I will assumably need about a full months time to get deep enough into "porting CHDK"....or let's say: I deeply admire the work of the "porters".

What I know since tonight - the current SX10 CHDK version - will not start on the SX1 (update error - after starting "firmware upgrade" - so entry/Load Adresses are definately different one's on the SX1).

Now: Are there any other SX1 owners around with porting skills?

I assume that by April (when the SX1 starts in the US) there will be a boost/increase of SX1 owners worldwide. The more owners, the more "power" to port CHDK. However: The earlier a version is available - the better it is  :D
So I hope this will be - similar to the SX10 thread - the topic, which will host the SX1 porting process.

Every SX1 owner is invited to post his vote here too.

Cheers - Fredi, Switzerland

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
Re: Is CHDK for SX1 possible in the future
« Reply #1 on: 20 / March / 2009, 18:50:33 »
The SX1 2.00H dump is also available from the drop.io - chdkdumps backup archive now [1].

« Reply #2 on: 01 / April / 2009, 00:50:36 »
Hello!

I'm a SX1 owner. Regardless I've updated my firmware, I really miss exposures longer than 1 second in manual mode. I'm generally RT developer, but this field is completely new for me. If I can to do something to push the porting process, I'll willingly do it. May be I'll also join the porting team as developer.

« Reply #3 on: 03 / April / 2009, 08:23:56 »

« Reply #4 on: 07 / April / 2009, 08:09:34 »

« Reply #5 on: 03 / July / 2009, 11:31:39 »
I just bought an SX1..and would also very much like to be able to add longer exposures in manual mode and to save to DNG rather than the Canon  raw format . My   firmware version is GM2.01A (April 15th). I  downloaded and tried to update the CHDK (beta) firmware (today 3rd July). As others have probably reported it will not update but 'freezes'. I'm guessing that this 'beta' version may work wth earlier Canon firmware versions ?
Can anyone help ? Do I just wait and watch to see if a new or non-beta CHDK  becomes available . I have little of no technical software knowlege...  :( ;)

Offline reyalp

« Reply #6 on: 03 / July / 2009, 23:11:28 »
No, there needs to be a new port that matches the new canon firmware. The existing CHDK port is for version 2.00h. The beta part is irrelevant.

Making a port for a new firmware variant is fairly straightforward, but someone will have to take the time to do it.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #7 on: 06 / July / 2009, 06:17:20 »
Thanks for your reply. Outside of what the actual language implies,the notion of ports etc is unfortunately outside of my knowledge and experience. So whether/when/if this new port gets made I imagine is  dependant on the enthousiasm of those with the necessary knowledge. You mentioned that it is a straighforward process: even for those with the experience,perhaps the time involved may still be enought to  put  some people off doing it ?
It's quite frustrating to me as  I bought the SX1 without realising its  long exposure limitation and also the  lack of battery 'status' unitil it's very low. Both things which would be greatly improved with a working CHDK..which unfortunately at the moment is tantalisingly  just out of reach!
You added 'don't forget what the 'H' is for....As a 'newbie' I have no idea unless it stads for  "help!"  ??
Regards,
clivek 

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #8 on: 06 / July / 2009, 06:34:59 »

« Reply #9 on: 21 / July / 2009, 15:37:05 »
Thanks! :-[ 8)