Adjusting image proportion - Script Writing - CHDK Forum

Adjusting image proportion

• 4 Replies
Adjusting image proportion
« on: 20 / March / 2009, 23:16:54 »
Advertisements
Newbie questions here.  I have a particular camera hack in mind.  I am trying to figure out if CHDK is capable of being scripted to do it:

-Is it possible to alter the proportion of an image before saving it to disk?  More specifically, I would want to use only part of the sensor image.  For instance use the full pixel height, but limit the width of the image to a few pixels.  Hopefully this would then limit the size and processing time when writing to an SD card.
-Would it be possible to do the same thing in video mode?
-Is it possible to save multiple (timed) exposures to a single image file on the SD card?  If yes, could they be placed side by side (rather than over-layed)?

I may be asking for more than the cameras can do, as well as stretching my scripting ability, but you guys (and girls?) are doing a pretty awesome job of pushing boundaries here  :)

Thanks!

Offline reyalp

Re: Adjusting image proportion
« Reply #1 on: 20 / March / 2009, 23:47:39 »
None of these things could be done with scripting.

It wouldn't be hard to modify CHDK to save only a part of the RAW for still images. The other stuff would be much more difficult.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 20 / March / 2009, 23:59:39 »
Thanks.
Saving a partial raw image is the key part.  The rest could be done in post-processing.
Are you suggesting that CHDK can currently not do this, but may be able to be updated to do this in a future version?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 21 / March / 2009, 17:43:30 »
Thanks.
Saving a partial raw image is the key part.  The rest could be done in post-processing.
Are you suggesting that CHDK can currently not do this, but may be able to be updated to do this in a future version?
A person who knows a modest amount of C could do it without too much trouble. Note that most tools which understand CHDK raw would not be able to process this either, since they have specific code and settings for each camera and expect a full resolution image. This means you'd also probably have to either modify one of these tools or write your own to deal with the partial images. Depending what you want to do, this could be trivial or not.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #4 on: 22 / March / 2009, 05:34:19 »
But if you are not currently shooting RAW and your aim is to make your camera shoot faster, there's just no sense in using RAW... the JPEG will still be saved and the partial RAW (or DNG) file is probably going to be larger than the JPEG.