A470 Porting

• 253 Replies
  • Publish
    Re: A470 Porting
    « Reply #10 on: 01 / April / 2009, 16:49:39 »
    Advertisements
    Did what you said...everything worked fine. Up came CHDK with most features. Tried RAW mode which seemed to work but we've tried 6 or more programs and nothing will convert or read it. None seem to support the A470, at least not yet.

Thanks for your help, we can't wait for the final version. I used to dabble in Z80 code many moons ago, I'm glad you've volunteered to port to the A470, the code's a bit beyond my aging brain.

MrSpoon

• Publish
    « Reply #11 on: 01 / April / 2009, 18:11:51 »
    Ah, I've attached a new version for you, the code's the same but I've compiled it with a bunch more options enabled. LUA should work so you can run the bad pixels script and then save your files as DNG 8)

The games are enabled but won't work, they seem to check modes before running, so they'll have to wait until I get around to the mode map.

I haven't touched the video recording stuff yet, so that won't work. Other than that there's a bunch of camera-related information I mostly fudged, Im no camera buff so left them until I got most other stuff working.

So yeah, this is the only build of CHDK I've ever seen, so other than the above, let me know what's wrong and missing! :D Also after I do the movie_rec.c file I'll generate a diff file so other people can look over my work and make corrections :-[

EDIT: Just for clarity, the attached file is for A470 v1.02c
    « Last Edit: 10 / April / 2009, 20:16:04 by MrSpoon »

• Publish
    « Reply #12 on: 01 / April / 2009, 19:12:01 »
    Thanks, we're testing it now but for some reason the locked SD card won't allow the A470 to switch on. We reloaded the previous BIN and it started OK.

The latest file is bigger, is this correct? Wish we could help with the code but I'm more Photographer than Coder.

MrSpoon

• Publish
    « Reply #13 on: 01 / April / 2009, 19:19:33 »
    Sorry about that, the file didn't upload properly :blink: it should work now!

Offline Husky

• Publish
    « Reply #14 on: 01 / April / 2009, 21:45:54 »
    Sorry about that, the file didn't upload properly :blink: it should work now!

Hello i'm new on this stuff. Let me asking something.
    Where i can find the CHDK for my PowerShot A470? My firmware is: GM1.01b
    This CHDK will change my firmware?
    Thank you all.
    « Last Edit: 01 / April / 2009, 22:24:04 by Husky »

• Publish
    « Reply #15 on: 02 / April / 2009, 04:12:47 »
    Thanks for the new upload. My chief tester is snoring at the moment, so we'll report back later.

Husky, I believe MrSpoon is working on vers. 1.02c  I'm not sure if it'll run on 1.01b He will tell you yes or no. Its getting there with 1.02c, new features being added all the time.

If you do what he's posted above (CHDK for Dummies etc) using CHDK for A720, substitute the latest DISKBOOT.BIN (above) and try it. It won't break your camera. Let us know what works and what doesn't.
    « Last Edit: 02 / April / 2009, 08:31:33 by alanfortune »

• Publish
    « Reply #16 on: 02 / April / 2009, 08:21:15 »
    OK, been testing the latest build which has many more functions. One oddity is that it takes a couple of shots every time you switch on the camera and use CHDK. I've now got the pdf manual to study all the functions. The menu (CHDK) jumps down four steps but up is one step.

Thank you MrSpoon, you're not far from an official version. I reckon all of us A470 users owe you a drink!

MrSpoon

• Publish
    « Reply #17 on: 02 / April / 2009, 09:17:40 »
    As it happens my sister has the 1.01b version, I dumped its firmware a long time ago but haven't had access to it since to port CHDK. I'll be visiting her over easter so hopefully I'll find time to port that version then. :)

I noticed the menu bug, you say the camera actually takes some photos when it boots? ??? I can't reproduce that behaviour. I've just started movie_rec.c, once I've done that I'll upload source/diffs so we can find bugs and fix fudged constants.

MrSpoon

• Publish
    « Reply #18 on: 02 / April / 2009, 12:58:36 »
    Meh, its been too much of a nice day to do porting. So here's the port so far, if anybody feels like working on it or adding support for another version:

First you'll need a development environment, follow this guide but install "patchutils" as well when installing cygwin.

I've attached a RAR containing the A470 files and a patch to update CHDK's core to support the new work. Simply extract the RAR into your chdk directory and then run 'patch -p0 -i A470.patch' to update your copy of CHDK.

You won't be able to compile until you put a dump of the original A470 firmware into /platform/a470/sub/102c named 'PRIMARY.BIN' and place copies of other models' firmwares in the tools folder, there's readmes in there explaining that. I'm pretty much just echoing information given elsewhere.

Finally to do the movie_rec.c file, one needs to have IDA and disassemble the A470 source, I have an IDA database I can send if anyone wants it. There's also a copy of the file partially done (before I got bored ::))

I'll carry on working on the port, probably a little more slowly since it does most of the stuff I want, I'd happily welcome help though :)

EDIT: Attachment removed, out of date.
    « Last Edit: 10 / April / 2009, 20:15:00 by MrSpoon »

Offline Husky

• Publish
    « Reply #19 on: 02 / April / 2009, 16:09:16 »
    Meh, its been too much of a nice day to do porting. So here's the port so far, if anybody feels like working on it or adding support for another version:

First you'll need a development environment, follow this guide but install "patchutils" as well when installing cygwin.

I've attached a RAR containing the A470 files and a patch to update CHDK's core to support the new work. Simply extract the RAR into your chdk directory and then run 'patch -p0 -i A470.patch' to update your copy of CHDK.

You won't be able to compile until you put a dump of the original A470 firmware into /platform/a470/sub/102c named 'PRIMARY.BIN' and place copies of other models' firmwares in the tools folder, there's readmes in there explaining that. I'm pretty much just echoing information given elsewhere.

Finally to do the movie_rec.c file, one needs to have IDA and disassemble the A470 source, I have an IDA database I can send if anyone wants it. There's also a copy of the file partially done (before I got bored ::))

I'll carry on working on the port, probably a little more slowly since it does most of the stuff I want, I'd happily welcome help though :)

Hello guys.
    Where did you get the firmware version 1.02c ? there's no firmware update in canon's website. My original firmware is GM1.01b, i tried CHDK using A720 then the bin file you posted here. Don't work for me.  :( Can you compile a version for 1.01b?
    A very nice thing to add in CHDK is the LONG exposition, powershot A470 only allows 15seg max. Something like 3 or 5 min will be very nice for shooting stars at night. It's possible to develope that?

thank you guys.    :)