Need help with CHDK bracketing with powershot a710IS - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Need help with CHDK bracketing with powershot a710IS

• 5 Replies
Need help with CHDK bracketing with powershot a710IS
« on: 26 / March / 2009, 03:09:03 »
Advertisements
Hi,

I have a powershot a710IS. Recently I've been experimenting with HDR. I downloaded the latest autobuild for my camera. (a710-100a-0.9.7-725-full.zip) I noticed there's already a bracketing feature.

Testing it in my camera. Set my cam to Av.
In CHDK > Bracketing in continuous mode.
AV bracketing = 2EV
Bracketing type = +/-

In continuous mode. It just takes a shot of the 0. After that its -2 and the succeeding shuts look exactly the same as the 2nd shot.

I tried with custom counter.
1 second delay, 5 shots
Same results. I get one "0" shot. Then followed by a -2 shot, then the remaining shots look exactly the same as the 2nd shot. It's like stuck at -2 and not going back up to +2.

I then proceeded to test it with bracketing at 1EV, bracketing type +/-
In continuous mode. I get the -1, 0, +1 shots (3 images), pressing more and the succeeding images look exactly the same as the 3rd image.
In custom timer. 1sec delay, 3 shots. I get the same results as in continuous mode and going beyond 3 shots will result in the same image as the 3rd shot.

Does this mean I can't use 2EV or higher? I can set them up to 4EV. But I get the same problem results as 2EV.
How do I increase the number of shots? Say I can only do 1EV with this camera, how do I tell it to take 5 shots in bracketing? My 1EV test limits me to 3 shots. Beyond that the 4th image and up looks exactly the same as the 3rd shot.

Thanks for CHDK. I already made some crazy shots with this camera. :)
-----
Powershot A710IS
Shots taken with CHDK @ My Photoblog
My Flickr
-----

Offline an0n

Re: Need help with CHDK bracketing with powershot a710IS
« Reply #1 on: 26 / March / 2009, 05:46:48 »
Hi dbgg1979, and welcome to the forum.

You seem to have the correct settings for bracketing, I have an A720IS and it always returns correct bracketing results and I'm fairly sure the A710IS uses the same settings (menu is the same).
I have used Av or Tv with bracketing type +/- or +, 1EV or lower,  then custom timer in Canon menu - set a delay or not, I often set 3 or 5 shots, flash off, make sure it's not in <ALT> mode, and start shooting.

This may not totally answer your question but it may give you a clue, I hope it helps
in some way.
Cheers, an0n.
A720IS.

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #2 on: 26 / March / 2009, 07:18:20 »
Hi dbgg1979,

Av bracketing is a bit difficult, especially with big steps (2Ev), it depends on the record mode (P, Av, Tv, M), often it is also limitted, e.g. to 1 or 2 seconds exposure time (maybe mode dependant)...

Use Tv bracketing instead, with your setup (+/- 2Ev) it should work fine, even with the custom timer (e.g. 1s dealy, 3 shots) or in continuous mode...

« Reply #3 on: 26 / March / 2009, 10:33:59 »
@fe50

Wow! Thank you. I can now take 5 samples with Tv bracketing. I never tried that because most of the guides I read always tell you to set the cam to Av for AEB.

What's the difference between Tv bracketing and Av bracketing in CHDK > bracketing in continuous?
-----
Powershot A710IS
My Flickr
-----

Offline whoever

• IXUS950
« Reply #4 on: 26 / March / 2009, 13:09:51 »
Lens aperture reflects the size of its opening, and thus is limited by min/max iris diaphragm. It cannot be changed at will without limit. Shutter speed is surely limited too, but the range is much wider.

« Reply #5 on: 26 / March / 2009, 20:25:06 »
@whoever

Thank you for your reply. Now I get a better idea on how AEB works. Specially the difference between Tv and Av bracketing.

My settings now will be.
Camera at Av mode
CHDK at Tv bracketing 1 or 2 Ev.
3 shots continuous mode should be enough for me. 5 if it's a more challenging scene and not moving.

One last thing. Is there a way to rearrange the sequence of the shots? Like -, 0, + ? Right now I think its 0, +, - . Not really important, but it's possible, help would be greatly appreciated.

I can't wait to test this today. Thanks again to everyone who replied. And to the people who created all these, thank you.
-----
Powershot A710IS
My Flickr
-----