Shutter Noise Question - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum  

Shutter Noise Question

• 7 Replies
Shutter Noise Question
« on: 27 / March / 2009, 14:48:34 »
Advertisements
Hello,

I'd like to know if there is any shutter noise when the camera takes a picture during motion detection or time lapse.

Thanks

Offline wontolla

• S3 & G9 & A720
Re: Shutter Noise Question
« Reply #1 on: 27 / March / 2009, 14:57:53 »
The same noise than when taking a normal picture, or am I missing something?

« Reply #2 on: 27 / March / 2009, 15:04:20 »
I read that Canon cameras have electronic and mechanical shutters.  Is there some way to turn the mechanical shutter off?  For instance, I want to use CHDK motion detection for a security camera, and I'd prefer that it not make any noise.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 27 / March / 2009, 17:34:55 »
If you are worried about the very small noises the camera mechanicals make, I'd suggest buying a real security system.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #4 on: 27 / March / 2009, 17:48:11 »
Is there some way to turn the mechanical shutter off?

No.
A mechanical shutter is needed to block light AFTER the electronic exposure.

« Reply #5 on: 27 / March / 2009, 20:43:24 »
If you are worried about the very small noises the camera mechanicals make, I'd suggest buying a real security system.

I've tried real security systems.  The image quality isn't nearly as good, unless one wants to spend thousands. 

« Reply #6 on: 27 / March / 2009, 20:45:51 »

No.
A mechanical shutter is needed to block light AFTER the electronic exposure.

Thanks for the answer.

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #7 on: 28 / March / 2009, 08:27:59 »
I've tried real security systems.  The image quality isn't nearly as good, unless one wants to spend thousands. 

The mechanical shutter may very well be an important factor in enabling these cameras to be that much better in image quality...

Anyway, if you don't zoom or do autofocus, shooting only emits a pair of small clicks of the shutter. If that's too much, you need to look elsewhere or attempt to diminish the sound by insulation.