DIFFERENT SIZE AND FRAMERATE VIDEO - Feature Requests - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

DIFFERENT SIZE AND FRAMERATE VIDEO

• 19 Replies

albertdup

« on: 29 / November / 2007, 07:56:11 »
Advertisements
Hi

This would really be cool for us PAL users, if we could have an option to change video size to 768x576 25 fps considering a 1.33 or square aspect ratio. Currently I am up scaling the video using Apples Compressor on the MAC, video quality is better than my Panasonic NV-DS38 DV camera. It should be even better with no up scaling. I use the Canon PowerShot S3 IS.

Thanks in advance

Albert mmicro@mailbox.co.za
« Last Edit: 29 / November / 2007, 08:02:37 by albertdup »

Winno

Re: DIFFERENT SIZE AND FRAMERATE VIDEO
« Reply #1 on: 03 / December / 2007, 02:32:58 »
Yes, 25fps video would definitely be a very good option I'd love to have.  I've been wondering about it when I thought about buying the S5.  A quick Google search actually found someone suggesting it before. 

See:
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:Suggestions#What_about_adding_12.5_.2C_25_or_50_fps_video_modes_for_the_european_folks.3F
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:Suggestions#640_x_480_at_60_fps.3F

As well, there's also a suggestion to add 24fps to mimic a film movie camera:
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:Suggestions#24_fps_or_24P_.2F_Film-like_frame_rate_movie_mode

The last suggestion looks very neat to me.   Imagine being able to record either 24, 25 or 30fps in one camera!  If you follow that last suggestion, it talks about changing some "property cases".  Unfortunately, the person only tried 10fps and 60fps, neither worked, but neither were between the 15 and 30fps the camera were already capable of.  So really, I'm not convinced that 24/25fps is impossible.  Now only if I had a CHDK supported camera to try it out on.
« Last Edit: 03 / December / 2007, 02:36:10 by Winno »

« Reply #2 on: 06 / December / 2007, 16:43:31 »
For the "Deshaker" video-stabilizer have a look here.

Offline stranger

• [a530]
« Reply #3 on: 11 / January / 2008, 03:48:08 »
I'm interested in a higher framerate video feature.  I know the A550 can record 60fps video with the standard firmware (no chdk) using some sort of sports mode option I think.  It is at a low resolution, but is still a nice feature.  (I could check when my friend visits again in a few months.)  Here is an example of 60p video from the A550: I imagine it depends on the camera's sensor so it probably wouldn't work on my A530, but I would expect it to work cameras using the same sensor, or better.

Does anyone know of any other powershot cameras that can record 60p video other than the A550?

I've tried looking for webcams and camcorders that can do 60fps or better, but what I've found is too expensive compared to the A550.  Software that generates between frames works pretty well on relatively slow moving objects but can't handle objects that move too far between frames, such as in my example video.

Offline DDMan

• A720 IS
« Reply #4 on: 11 / January / 2008, 07:08:07 »
Nice video, stranger! ;-)

Hope it is possible. Definately sounds interesting! :-)

Thx for the deshaker filter for VirtualDub. That is a really cool one!  :xmas
A720 IS Firmware 1.00c

Offline GrAnd

• [A610, S3IS]
    • CHDK
« Reply #5 on: 11 / January / 2008, 12:42:45 »
Go to the dpreview. Click on any camera model you interested. Search for "Movie Clips". You will see the modes it supports.
CHDK Developer.

Offline GrAnd

• [A610, S3IS]
    • CHDK
« Reply #6 on: 11 / January / 2008, 12:48:34 »
I think many of the newer ones do. I know that the S3 IS has 60 fps at 320x240 resolution.

Quite the contrary. The newer cameras may not have such mode. The S5 does not have.
But it seems that the whole A-series has.
CHDK Developer.

« Reply #7 on: 12 / January / 2008, 06:32:35 »
Hi

This would really be cool for us PAL users, if we could have an option to change video size to 768x576 25 fps considering a 1.33 or square aspect ratio. Currently I am up scaling the video using Apples Compressor on the MAC, video quality is better than my Panasonic NV-DS38 DV camera. It should be even better with no up scaling. I use the Canon PowerShot S3 IS.

Thanks in advance

Albert mmicro@mailbox.co.za

isnt more frame rate the better it is ? sorry ??? unless it is for PAL purposes which could be converted isnt it ?

also i wonder if the s3 30 fps is actually 29.97 ?

cheers

thanks in advance ... :D

« Reply #8 on: 12 / January / 2008, 15:05:44 »
As someone mentioned before, is it possible to increase A530's choppy frame rate in VGA mode from 10fps to 20 or 30fps? A540 has 30.

Offline stranger

• [a530]
« Reply #9 on: 12 / January / 2008, 21:49:50 »
But it seems that the whole A-series has.
I looked at dpreview like you said.  The A510 - A540 don't have a 60fps mode, but the rest of the A series does.  The A570 IS can shoot 640x480 at 60fps, but it may be the only one.

Do you think this feature depends on the firmware (so CHDK maybe could enable the feature on similar cameras), or would it rely entirely on hardware even on similar cameras?  It may be something as simple as whether or not a resistor is on the circuit inside the camera.  I don't know nearly enough to discover such a thing myself, but it is an interesting possibility.

As someone mentioned before, is it possible to increase A530's choppy frame rate in VGA mode from 10fps to 20 or 30fps? A540 has 30.
They have different image sensors I think.  The A530 has a 5mp sensor and the A540 has a 6mp sensor.  I think the video capability depends a lot on the sensor, so I doubt it would work.  I'm not sure though.  I think it may be possible on cameras that have the same sensor.