The SX1 IS Porting Thread - page 36 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum  

The SX1 IS Porting Thread

• 381 Replies
Re: The SX1 IS Porting Thread
« Reply #350 on: 17 / January / 2010, 16:22:15 »
Advertisements
Thanks, that did really solve the problem!!

« Reply #351 on: 17 / February / 2010, 16:56:43 »
I just downloaded a CHDK (sx1_200h.7z) for a new canon powershot SX1(purchased1/10).
it already has canon's RAW firmware update installed).

i've not installed CHDK yet, but it seems you have unleashed some very very cool features.
i was wondering if you have plans to offer 24p and shutter speed w/ lock-down and adjustable ISO
to the hi-def video mode of the SX1?, as it uses the exact same sensor as the HV30/ HV40 Canon Hi-Def Camcorder. Actually, just 24p would be greatly appreciated for starters to achieve the "cinema film look" and make footage shot, easier to edit as it would already be 24p. (wouldn't need pulldown?)
I can't afford to buy a dedicated hi-def camcorder as I just bought the SX1. You guys are amazing.
thank you

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
« Reply #352 on: 17 / February / 2010, 17:53:47 »
@ExtraStuff

Note that SX1 port is in Beta and available from the official download site: http://mighty-hoernsche.de/

Versions available there should be newer than the archive you downloaded

HTH,

wim

« Reply #353 on: 17 / February / 2010, 18:32:17 »
Thanks!, I will CHDK it out. While i am on the subject of the SX1, i was also wondering if future "Builds" will offer even more access to the camera, both for the Hi-Def movie mode and as a photo camera: i.e.:
gamma, saturation, gamut, sharpen/soften, hi speed video, slow mo video (recording), etc.
any news, eme or post here.

« Reply #354 on: 17 / February / 2010, 18:45:34 »
oh, and I agree w/ "bartb" that full manual control over movie mode makes a huge difference in film like quality as opposed to just great video. manual is a must, along w/different frame rates.
Canon's new rebel t2i (I think that's the name) due out March/10 will have much all of this.
it's heading in that direction anyway for all the camera vendors:. a multi-use camera/cam w total control over pretty much everything that a photographer/filmmaker/videographer would need.
but why buy a new camera,  when 90% of these features are most likely hidden inside the Canon SX1., I hope. I have Olympus, Sony, Nikon all DSLR's, but I'm really into the SX1 because of the picture quality, video quality, and of course, the very cool zoom lens.

« Reply #355 on: 22 / February / 2010, 20:42:43 »
I have an SX1 newly purchased and re-firmwared @ canon facility firmware ver: GM2.0.1.0
i still don't know what chdk to download, i have tried both betas under sx1 in autobuild download page.
i've tried using card trick, followed instructions and still nothing. i copy everything over after fat16 and make bootable. i lock card tab, put in sx1, turn on (tried both ways-using play button to poer on as well as standard on), seems to make no difference?, doesn't work. i even tried making additional folders that say DCIM and MISC. that didn't work either/ i then tried formatting card on osx  using info from your making card bootable, got hex editor, opened it up, even after erasing thru disk utility and then usin correct device# and terminal commands, drive still came up fat 32/ i am using a PNY 4 gig class 6 card.
i'm getting nowhere fast here, please advise. i would be willing to send a card to someone if they knew how to do this. i searched google for a win disk utikity that would allow me to dual partition the card as like 10 megs as root partition 12-16 fat and the other partition 32 fat, no luck unless you have win 98 or ntm which i don't. i really like card tricks app but it makes the whole card 16 fat and  bootable, but i believe the sx1 wants it to be 32fat for the photos/video. someone needs to make a utilty that pre=partitions the cards 4g and up so all you have to do is find the right ver chdk and off you go. meantime it would be a big plus that under the autobuild dpwnload page, it also included the firmware#s so one could find the correct ver 2 download right away. i would also included ports that are still in development and their flaws and usability.

« Reply #356 on: 22 / February / 2010, 21:49:59 »
I have an SX1 newly purchased and re-firmwared @ canon facility firmware ver: GM2.0.1.0
i still don't know what chdk to download, i have tried both betas under sx1 in autobuild download page.
i've tried using card trick, followed instructions and still nothing. i copy everything over after fat16 and make bootable. i lock card tab, put in sx1, turn on (tried both ways-using play button to poer on as well as standard on), seems to make no difference?, doesn't work. i even tried making additional folders that say DCIM and MISC. that didn't work either/ i then tried formatting card on osx  using info from your making card bootable, got hex editor, opened it up, even after erasing thru disk utility and then usin correct device# and terminal commands, drive still came up fat 32/ i am using a PNY 4 gig class 6 card.
i'm getting nowhere fast here, please advise. i would be willing to send a card to someone if they knew how to do this. i searched google for a win disk utikity that would allow me to dual partition the card as like 10 megs as root partition 12-16 fat and the other partition 32 fat, no luck unless you have win 98 or ntm which i don't. i really like card tricks app but it makes the whole card 16 fat and  bootable, but i believe the sx1 wants it to be 32fat for the photos/video. someone needs to make a utilty that pre=partitions the cards 4g and up so all you have to do is find the right ver chdk and off you go. meantime it would be a big plus that under the autobuild dpwnload page, it also included the firmware#s so one could find the correct ver 2 download right away. i would also included ports that are still in development and their flaws and usability.
Hi. I assume you tried on a Mac, by the OSX, there is a script on the link for installing under Mac OSX (http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ/Mac) it worked for me. The beta files on the autobuild server have the version numbers in their name, so as long as you have one of the two versions listed as your firmware it should work, mine was the one labelled sx1-201a-0.9.9-874-full_BETA.zip, the 201a is the version number for my camera, the other version at present is 200h. I don't think you have to have separate partitions for a 4 gB card, though, everything can go on one partition. I'm not sure about the fat 32 for videos and pictures, I started with a 4 gB card and had no problems with one partition. Hope this helps.
Dan
SD780, SX200, SX1, SD890 and SD980 - O.K. Way too many cameras, not enough photos!

« Reply #357 on: 23 / February / 2010, 01:59:31 »
canon powershot SX1 my firmware is: GM2.01A E18   April 15 2009
so i guess i would use 2.01A autobuild from download page
my question is, did you format the 4gb sd card as fat 32 or use card trick to make it fat16 and make bootable, or should i try to use something like partition magic to make a small (4-10meg) 16 fat partition and make the rest 32fat (dual partition)

« Reply #358 on: 23 / February / 2010, 04:54:44 »
Thank You very much i did and it works great!!! reformatted 8 gig card in camera (unchecked low level), put card in reader,went to mac page:Scripted Installation of CHDK, that guy is brilliant, ran his script, choose "partition and format", a few minutes later done!, removed card, locked it, turned on SX1, hit print button after menu, <alt> appeared and started going thru CHDK menus, AMEN!!!

has anyone put up a page for best uses of all these new features in a practical way?
user trials, comments, techniques, insights to fully explore best usage?,
because it sure has a ton of cool features now.

« Reply #359 on: 23 / February / 2010, 10:34:07 »
Thank You very much i did and it works great!!! reformatted 8 gig card in camera (unchecked low level), put card in reader,went to mac page:Scripted Installation of CHDK, that guy is brilliant, ran his script, choose "partition and format", a few minutes later done!, removed card, locked it, turned on SX1, hit print button after menu, <alt> appeared and started going thru CHDK menus, AMEN!!!

has anyone put up a page for best uses of all these new features in a practical way?
user trials, comments, techniques, insights to fully explore best usage?,
because it sure has a ton of cool features now.
Hey, glad it worked... as far as using it, check out the forums on usage and scripts, some interesting stuff there. I've also been using google, a lot. I had toruble with the terminology at first, not being much more than a point and shoot on automatic type of person at first. I'm sure having fun with Chdk now though, check out averaging several shots to cut noise, and HDR seems kind of interesting as well, there are some awesome tutorials on-line. There is also some very interesting stuff on using motion detection on the scripting forum. The SX1 seems to be a great camera for CHDK, the reviews I've read are good, the camera has some very cool features, including the incredible zoom, and the batteries last a fairly long time, longer than I thought they would, for all of the playing around that I have done. The only thing is that the remote that I got with the camera doesn't seem to work with CHDK, can't fire the camera with it, or access menu items. I wonder if a person could use  something in a script to make the microphone accept sound as a trigger? The Clapper for your camera? Clap and snap! Hmmm...
SD780, SX200, SX1, SD890 and SD980 - O.K. Way too many cameras, not enough photos!