new design for OSD icons

• 15 Replies

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
new design for OSD icons
« on: 07 / April / 2009, 16:06:41 »
Advertisements
Here is a patch with a revised version of battery and sd card icon. Also I make a usb icon for a better overview. The menu structure of remote controle has also changed somewhat.

Here is a overview:

*change menu "remote control" to "synch control" and make it optional for compiling.

*move menu entry "enable remote" to "Miscellaneous stuff".

*move menu entry "DNG visible via USB" higher for better overview.

*delete menu entry " remote control" in "script menu" (not necessary).

*new OSD icon "USB". Icon is shown when "enable remote" is on and in "OSD parameter" "show USB icon" is on.

*sd card icon new multicolor style in 3d look

*battery icon new multicolor style in 3d look with 3 states, green, yellow (50%) and red (15%).

*change from 10 to 15 % for alert color of the battery text value

*delete menu entry for battery color

*change the selection in "hide OSD" (was to long)

You can try a compiled older version here: http://drop.io/chdk_de

Patch file against rev.727 -> attachment
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links

Offline wontolla

• S3 & G9 & A720
Re: new design for OSD icons
« Reply #1 on: 08 / April / 2009, 08:34:43 »
Wow! They are gorgeous!
I can't wait to get home and try your build.

Although, from the patch, it looks like the colours are hard coded. I used to have a semi-transparent battery icon. Would it be possible for the colours to be user selectable?

It looks like in the future we will have "skins" for CHDK, just like the ones in Winamp.  :lol

Offline msl

• CHDK-DE links
« Reply #2 on: 08 / April / 2009, 09:09:32 »
Although, from the patch, it looks like the colours are hard coded. I used to have a semi-transparent battery icon. Would it be possible for the colours to be user selectable?

Yes, the colors are hard coded. I think it would be confusing for many users to make the the colors selectable. E.g. the battery icon has 9 various colors. I've tried to make a standard color in all icons - light grey. That would be a possibility to make a selectable color.

Another reason was to save chdk resources.

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #3 on: 11 / April / 2009, 15:08:26 »
there was much more public interest in this topic in the german forum than here. strange!

anyways, i do plan to merge this patch into the trunk.

it gives chdk a much more "professional" look & feel, plus the usb icon is a long time favourite todo feature of mine :)

thing is, can i interpret the low interest as a kind of "no one objects"? or is it vice versa?
opinions, anyone?

Offline yvesson

• A540 SX10IS
    • poll about some pics (not much serious) ^^
« Reply #4 on: 11 / April / 2009, 19:34:59 »
Hej,
Well I'm more interested in features which help you take pics, it's nice but it's just design/look.

I guess people on these forums are more into technical stuff and don't pay much attention if it looks good or not, or at least give very low priority.

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #5 on: 12 / April / 2009, 04:48:29 »
A few comments:

buildconf.inc -- Is there a reason OPT_REMOTE_SYNCH is defined as 0 instead of 1? I think CHDK mostly uses #if instead of #ifdef for these, but this patch uses #ifdefs, causing 0 to enable the code just like an 1 would, which is sort of confusing.

It should be noted that this define does not effect code size (with any significance, that is), it just hides the menu items. In that sense it's different from other entries currently in buildconf.inc.

The patch renames config 257 from "Enable Remote" to "Enable scriptless Remote". Is that correct? The way I remember it, you need to have config 257 enabled for remote to work in scripts (note: we shouldn't force remote enable in scripts, because PTP can be made work in REC mode but remote enable screws that up).

I don't use any icons, I prefer text for everything. That's why I don't really have much of an opinion on how they look as long as they take as little RAM in the binary as possible when disabled. Especially the space icon drawing code seems quite complex (both before and after this patch). Has anyone tried or estimated whether storing and drawing these icons as bitmaps would speed CHDK up or save RAM, or the opposite? Loading icons from the SD card whenever enabled (like menu icon font) would have the good effect that then disabling them saves RAM without rebuilding with the code removed. It may not be much now that there aren't many icons, but if RAM usage of a new vanity/usability feature is optional, it's definitely easier to accept.

Line 313 of patch has tabs, surrounding code doesn't?

USB indicator is a good addition. I'd rather have a text "USB" instead of an icon, though. But I don't use remotes a lot so it doesn't matter to me much.

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #6 on: 21 / April / 2009, 18:51:06 »
attached is my first version of a patch.

it includes the new battery & usb symbol & sd card symbol.

i left out the whole remote stuff as this seems to be a whole other "construction site" as we say in germany. i am yet unclear about what to do with that.
the remote control entry in script menu IS neccessary, as when you have a script that needs remote, you should be able to set it in a fast way

i didnt analyze your changes in the "spacebar" yet, you didnt write anything about it - after your changes one could not set the color anymore, right?

overall this is a good mod, as it adds both "professionalism" (through 3d effect in gfx) and a long desired feature - indication if usb remote is set or not.
however i guess after i check this in, people will complain about things like bigger binary, no color picker @ battery symbol etc. if they really start to complain, i guess we can add a buildconf like "OPT_GFX" which will allow people to disable all gfx "overhead" altogether, symbols (in menu & osd) and so on.

ps.: it is weird that i create a patch with the svn props included, but when i apply the patch, svn props are NOT set. anyone else experiencing this?

Offline wontolla

• S3 & G9 & A720
« Reply #7 on: 22 / April / 2009, 05:42:05 »
opinions, anyone?

Although the 3D icons look really nice, in the practice, I would preffer not having distractive colours on the screen.
I use semi-transparent icons whenever I can, so I agree with fudgey (who goes further, using text only).

Perhaps the option on the menu can be enabled: Select between 2D and 3D icons.

Offline msl

• CHDK-DE links
« Reply #8 on: 22 / April / 2009, 07:18:10 »
Thanks for the replies.

PhyrePhoX, thanks for the first step to find a solution.

I make also an new patch without changing the remote menu stuff. But i have make a display option for the usb icon in OSD menu. You can select between icon, text or off. I call it now usb info.

In the patch of PhyrePhoX I can't find the sd card icon routines.

Please check my patch. The spacebar remains unchanged. You can change the color together with space text. This was so even before the patch.

And another problem is the usb stuff. I'm not stupid, but for the a720 you need not to activate "remote enable" for scripts. You must activate this for scriptless remote function (see also discussion in german forum). That was the reason why I had changed the menu. It's seems, the usb remote stuff is not equal for all cams. But we need a uniform standard. I prefer this "A720 standard". Here are the remote functions logical.

msl

edit: added new attachment - new files with svn eol style
« Last Edit: 24 / April / 2009, 10:50:45 by msl »

Offline an0n

« Reply #9 on: 24 / April / 2009, 21:56:06 »
I also like the 3D icons, thanks for your development, but if I could make a small criticism about battery icon, when battery level falls it is not as easy to see the level.
A720IS.