8 camera array for 360 degree panorama possible? - page 3 - Creative Uses of CHDK - CHDK Forum  

8 camera array for 360 degree panorama possible?

• 24 Replies

Offline mgg

Re: 8 camera array for 360 degree panorama possible?
« Reply #20 on: 03 / January / 2011, 16:51:04 »
Advertisements
I have a description page here:  http://web.me.com/mgg/Site_5/Pan-O-Cam.html

I don't have the code posted anywhere yet (I was hoping to clean it up first.... )

mgg

« Reply #21 on: 13 / April / 2011, 20:00:58 »
incredibly nifty project...
regarding power supply: i don't understand why you bought eight of the canon power adapters... it's trivial to build one yourself (especially for somebody who has the metal-working resources to craft those disks for mounting!): http://chdk.setepontos.com/?topic=6089.msg64166#msg64166
and secondly, chdk now has some support for remote-control via ptp (usb picture transfer protocol), while it was not ported to your camera yet, that would give you a neato solution for both remote-configuring/firing the cameras AND retrieving the pictures without the tedious sd-card removing...
(and if you are soldering stufff to the camera anyway, for the power switches, you could just hook up the camera's uarts (serial ports) for remote control aswell.)

Offline mgg

« Reply #22 on: 13 / April / 2011, 21:48:57 »
incredibly nifty project...
regarding power supply: i don't understand why you bought eight of the canon power adapters... it's trivial to build one yourself (especially for somebody who has the metal-working resources to craft those disks for mounting!): http://chdk.setepontos.com/?topic=6089.msg64166#msg64166
and secondly, chdk now has some support for remote-control via ptp (usb picture transfer protocol), while it was not ported to your camera yet, that would give you a neato solution for both remote-configuring/firing the cameras AND retrieving the pictures without the tedious sd-card removing...
(and if you are soldering stufff to the camera anyway, for the power switches, you could just hook up the camera's uarts (serial ports) for remote control aswell.)

Actually I took a pass at building them - but with eight cameras and the hassles of getting in there I chose the expensive but reliable route and bought them. I'm sure its possible to make them, but by then I was out of patience... 8^} The cool part is that they will work fine in the SD940 version of the unit I'm developing.  I don't plan (at this time) to go a full 360 - more like 6 cameras, portait mode,  for 200 or so degrees of view.  I'd really like to use the 980, but that port doesn't seem to be progressing. 

As for PTP, I'd love to use it but I don't expect anyone will be porting it to the 400.  On the 940 version, the SD cards will be easy to get to.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #23 on: 14 / April / 2011, 17:46:36 »
As for PTP, I'd love to use it but I don't expect anyone will be porting it to the 400.  On the 940 version, the SD cards will be easy to get to.
PTP should probably work out of the box with the SD400 in recent CHDK builds. It is enabled for all cameras, but hasn't necessarily been tested.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline mgg

« Reply #24 on: 14 / April / 2011, 18:39:34 »
PTP should probably work out of the box with the SD400 in recent CHDK builds. It is enabled for all cameras, but hasn't necessarily been tested.

Cool - maybe I'll work in some testing.  The down side is that in order to make the cables small I only ran two wires to the USB port on each camera - so if I can get it to work, I'll have to redo the cabling.
tnx
mgg