Ultra Intervalometer -- can I turn off the screen? - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

Ultra Intervalometer -- can I turn off the screen?

• 29 Replies
Ultra Intervalometer -- can I turn off the screen?
« on: 03 / May / 2009, 16:00:36 »
Advertisements
I tried this script: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/UBASIC/Scripts:_Ultra_Intervalometer 

It worked very well, but I was wondering if there's a way to use this (or a similar script) without having the display on the whole time. It seems like having it off would make the battery last a lot longer.
My Flickr Page
I use the chdk on my SX230 and SD1100 cameras, and I installed them using a Macbook, currently running 10.6.8.

Re: Ultra Intervalometer -- can I turn off the screen?
« Reply #1 on: 04 / May / 2009, 05:15:22 »
Hi CanonBlue!
you can:
-->set-up the script
-->press alt(so you return to the normal canon menu)
-->switch off the display(with the disp button)
-->press alt(you come bach to the chdk menu)
--->than you press the shot button and the script will start with black display!

hope to been usefull

Offline barret

• S3 & a550
« Reply #2 on: 04 / May / 2009, 08:08:54 »
yeah, i'm using this method posted by SilboPoweR all the time! it's great and simple :)

« Reply #3 on: 06 / May / 2009, 04:44:19 »
Thanks! I guess I should have thought of that. Somehow it didn't occur to me that I could still use the Alt menu with the screen off. It does still turn on the screen when it takes a picture, but being dark in between seems like it could save a lot of battery power. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know a way to make it stay off completely, that is, not even turn on when you take the picture? If you leave it going overnight there's no one to watch it anyway so you don't need it to show those shots.
My Flickr Page
I use the chdk on my SX230 and SD1100 cameras, and I installed them using a Macbook, currently running 10.6.8.

Offline fbonomi

• A570IS SD1100/Ixus80
    • Francesco Bonomi
« Reply #4 on: 06 / May / 2009, 06:42:19 »
A possible problem you might meet is that manual focus is disabled when the LCD is off.

So, you are forced to use autofocus, not always reliable during the night, if the scne is dark enough to confuse the focusng mechanism...

Offline barret

• S3 & a550
« Reply #5 on: 07 / May / 2009, 10:34:56 »
i'm using manual focus and screen off and everything is fine. screen is not lit, even between shots. never.

Offline fbonomi

• A570IS SD1100/Ixus80
    • Francesco Bonomi
« Reply #6 on: 07 / May / 2009, 16:59:43 »
This is odd.
I don't have my a570 to test now, but I am sure you have this annoying behaviour:
1) set focus to manual
2) turn display off
3) turn display on
4) focus goes to auto mode

i.e. as soon as you trn the display off the camera reverts to autofocus

« Reply #7 on: 07 / May / 2009, 17:11:22 »
I'm not sure how to tell if my camera is in manual or auto focus. I know Auto and Manual modes, but I always thought it had more to do with setting the flash and stuff. How would you use manual focus without touching the camera for each shot anyway?
My Flickr Page

« Reply #8 on: 07 / May / 2009, 17:24:33 »
i'm using manual focus and screen off and everything is fine. screen is not lit, even between shots. never.

Well, Barret, you may be the only one.  I tested this at some length  on my A590, and the display has to be ON for the camera to be in manual focus.  Now, you can put a plug in the A/V port, but that's not quite the same thing as turning off the display.

I would be curious how you managed to stay in manual focus witht hte display off.

« Reply #9 on: 07 / May / 2009, 17:26:24 »
This is odd.
I don't have my a570 to test now, but I am sure you have this annoying behaviour:
1) set focus to manual
2) turn display off
3) turn display on
4) focus goes to auto mode

i.e. as soon as you trn the display off the camera reverts to autofocus

I don't remember how I determined this, but I believe the camera switches into autofocus the instant you turn off the display.  At least on my A590.