Manually loading stopped working - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum  

Manually loading stopped working

• 4 Replies
Manually loading stopped working
« on: 04 / May / 2009, 14:30:33 »
Advertisements
Hi,

I have an SD1100 is and have been using CHDK on it to do timelapse photography and to shoot RAW images. I use a 16gb card so I can store enough images and have always manually loaded CHDK instead of partitioning the card and setting up auto loading. It's been working great for a year or so, but the last time I turned on my camera and tried to load the CHDK there was no "firm update" option in the menu. I tried switching it on and off, deleting the images, and even reinstalling the CHDK. Nothing works. There is no longer any option to manually load. I don't want instructions on how to make it auto load - I've gone through all that and I prefer to manually load it. Does anyone have any idea why my camera would stop giving me the option to "firm update"? It doesn't make any sense to me why it would just stop working all of a sudden. If anyone has any ideas to make that option reappear, I'd really appreciate it!

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
Re: Manually loading stopped working
« Reply #1 on: 04 / May / 2009, 14:45:41 »
Hi yellowbex,

The fw update menu item should always be there when a PS.FI2 file is placed on the card's root & the cam is powered on in playback mode...maybe the card's file system is corrupt; backup your images & format the card in the camera, then try it again...

« Reply #2 on: 04 / May / 2009, 14:58:22 »
Thanks! I have reformatted the card in the camera and reinstalled the CHDK. I'll try again. Maybe the 3rd time's the charm...?

« Reply #3 on: 04 / May / 2009, 15:18:50 »
I just tried reformatting it again in every way I can think of...with the camera, with disk utility, with the camera using low level format. Each time I reformatted it, I reinstalled the PS.FI2 file on the root along with vers.req and DISKBOOT.BIN and the CHDK folder. None of the reformatting options solved the problem. The firmware update option just refuses to show up at all no matter what I do. Any other suggestions???

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #4 on: 04 / May / 2009, 15:45:55 »
Does it work with an other SD card, e.g. with the small one shipped with the camera (just for testing) ?
Does the fw info page (with the ver.req method) show any error numbers (e.g. Exx) ?

What you can also try:
- check the record mode / video mode / playback mode "slider", move it some times to "clean" the contacts...
- put only the PS.FI2 and the ver.req on the card, no diskboot.bin; test with both positions of the write protection slider
- resetting the camera (from the Canon menu)
- removing the battery for a while