G10 Porting Process - page 16 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

G10 Porting Process

• 177 Replies
Re: G10 Porting Process
« Reply #150 on: 03 / July / 2011, 16:56:17 »
Advertisements
My G10 has a 1.00H... So... I volunteer to test that firmware...
Good - we have a minimum quorum of volunteers but others are welcome.  I've setup a mailing list of people who sent me real email addresses - I'll post the beta releases to them first and once the worst of the "features" are fixed, I'll post for everyone else.

Got the tasks written on an airplane last night - now I just need the camera !

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #151 on: 12 / July / 2011, 08:18:55 »
Camera arrived while I was away.  Perfect condition and outfitted with firmware 1.00H.  I don't know whether that is good or bad.  Neutral I guess, although I had hoped for a more recent version like 1.03B or 1.04A.

I'd also hoped that the supplied battery charger would match the battery in the camera.  So far, that's not how it worked out.  Not sure how far I can get with the current battery charge until I work something else out so things will likely be still slow on the development front this week.

Two steps forward, one step back seems to be the order of the day.

« Reply #152 on: 12 / July / 2011, 12:49:54 »
Hi Waterwingz,

I've read through and tried to wrap my head around Canon Basic, reading the defcon presentation and related forum to build confidence and try to confirm the LED addresses. Unfortunately, my programming comprehension ended back with the Apple IIgs, so I'm reluctant to fiddle with my firmware given the warning on the top of the Wiki page. I will continue to read and try to better understand, because I would like to be an active contributer here.

I plan on shooting with my g10 for years to come and based on the love for the camera, will look to this group for guidance when I plan to take a step forward and upgrade.

Regards...

« Reply #153 on: 16 / July / 2011, 01:59:22 »
I've read through and tried to wrap my head around Canon Basic, reading the defcon presentation and related forum to build confidence and try to confirm the LED addresses.
Don't worry about it.  I have CHDK code now loading successfully on my G10 with the "SD Card Lock" method.  Don't anybody get too excited yet though.  All I can do so far is make the LED's  blink while the regular Canon code runs. No menus or shooting functions yet. But trust me on this - that's a big step. At this point it looks like the spytask() crashes so I have some debugging to do.

On a related note,  it seems that the 1.00F and 1.00H versions can be upgrade to 1.02A with upgrade software from Canon. There is a link for this on the CHDK wiki page for the G10 to the Canon software that does this. [-- link --]     So I'm thinking it might not be worth the effort to produce a port for those versions ?

EDIT : more progress - I got the logo and startup text banner to display, but then immediately crash.
« Last Edit: 16 / July / 2011, 19:36:49 by waterwingz »

« Reply #154 on: 17 / July / 2011, 11:42:26 »
Nice! I realize the process is often two steps forward, one back, though it's really exciting to know the port is in progress. Not sure how many of the original members that contributed to this thread that are still following this, but the possibility for this is huge to me and really appreciate your efforts.

And in the end, I hope you become a big fan of the newly adopted g10 to boot!

« Reply #155 on: 17 / July / 2011, 13:05:13 »

... and I'm starting to remember why the only other port I've done to a completely new camera took so long.

« Reply #156 on: 17 / July / 2011, 17:44:25 »
Water Wingz, this is excellent! Very excited about doing some beta testing. Thank you so much for your efforts!

« Reply #157 on: 18 / July / 2011, 12:43:15 »
Thanks so much! I am currently in Canada (while my G10 is somewhere in the US) once I am back in Europe (reunited with my G10) I will be doing some serious testing.

Kudos!

Offline Lebeau

« Reply #158 on: 18 / July / 2011, 18:59:02 »
Hard to believe ! Is it photoshop trickery or the real thing ? Hit me ! I am dreaming !

My brother has a G10 and expect to graduate to CHDK raw school since he saw my A650is.

Let me give you five ! He ask me for CHDK each time he come home.

Thanks and cong.

« Reply #159 on: 18 / July / 2011, 19:07:02 »
My brother has a G10 and expect to graduate to CHDK raw school since he saw my A650is.

The G10 supports RAW natively - no need for CHDK for that.  Unless you know some reason why CHDK RAW is different / better than Canon RAW ?

Porting Update :  Got the buttons decoded - menus & OSD stuff now working.  Feels somehow weird to have a real Print button to enter <ALT> mode after nine months of using the DISP button for that function on my SD940. 
« Last Edit: 18 / July / 2011, 20:18:31 by waterwingz »