ZERO POST member PRUNING - page 3 - Forum related topics (including issues) - CHDK Forum  

Poll

Should zero post members (registered until Dec 2008) be pruned out of the board?

Yes
38 (71.7%)
No
15 (28.3%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Voting closed: 30 / May / 2009, 06:42:35

ZERO POST member PRUNING

• 42 Replies

Offline yvesson

• A540 SX10IS
    • poll about some pics (not much serious) ^^
Re: ZERO POST member PRUNING
« Reply #20 on: 27 / May / 2009, 13:28:51 »
Advertisements
Hej,
Well you don't need an account to read, so what ?

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #21 on: 27 / May / 2009, 13:48:33 »
Well you don't need an account to read, so what ?

Do you need an account to get unread/new post markers & links (and the "Show unread posts since last visit" link, which is what I've been using all this time, even if it means 7 pages of new posts to go through after a few days of inactivity)? I'd imagine it's nearly impossible to actively follow the board without those.

Offline yvesson

• A540 SX10IS
    • poll about some pics (not much serious) ^^
« Reply #22 on: 27 / May / 2009, 15:49:20 »
Hej,
Well I read this forum at my work where I'm not logged in, and I figure most of the time which new posts interest me... Well surely it's a bigger issue after one week or so. without visiting...

But once logged here at home, as there are some posts I never read (those for cams I don't own for exemple), it stills shows the full sub-forum unread, even though I did read the very last post of it. So I have to check the date of the posts each time anyway. Or have I missed an option about it or something ? Okej a bit off topic, but maybe I can get that answer here anyway. :p I guess I should just "mark everything read" each time I live.

Anyway, I'm sure there is a way around these problems.

« Reply #23 on: 27 / May / 2009, 20:26:03 »
Pruning zero post users may be counterproductive since some of these users may start posting material of questionable value just to remain users. It may make more sense to prune users who haven't accessed the forum (for reading OR posting) in a reasonable period of time (perhaps 3 or 6 months).

I don't know if my case is typical. I have 30+ years professional experience in software, firmware and control system development - mostly scientific equipment and telecommunications systems. I have been a 10D user for a few years and got my first 40D about a month ago. In  researching 40D enhancement possibilities, I found the CHDK forum.  I became a member because I needed to download several files which I couldn't access as a guest.  Although I feel I will be able to contribute significantly to the forum in the future, I have a learning curve to climb - both with the camera and with the firmware/software development environment. I don't think it does anyone any good for me to post trivial, questionable or not-fully-tested material and I don't think anyone should do so just to remain a member.

I expect that I should be reading, downloading, developing, testing and understanding for several months before posting anything. The forum should encourage new members who will eventually become significant contributors; but, everyone who is new to the cameras or development techniques which are a subject of the forum will have a steep learning curve to climb. They should not be discouraged from doing so.

« Reply #24 on: 29 / May / 2009, 03:31:49 »
Pruning zero post users may be counterproductive since some of these users may start posting material of questionable value just to remain users. It may make more sense to prune users who haven't accessed the forum (for reading OR posting) in a reasonable period of time (perhaps 3 or 6 months).

I don't know if my case is typical. I have 30+ years professional experience in software, firmware and control system development - mostly scientific equipment and telecommunications systems. I have been a 10D user for a few years and got my first 40D about a month ago. In  researching 40D enhancement possibilities, I found the CHDK forum.  I became a member because I needed to download several files which I couldn't access as a guest.  Although I feel I will be able to contribute significantly to the forum in the future, I have a learning curve to climb - both with the camera and with the firmware/software development environment. I don't think it does anyone any good for me to post trivial, questionable or not-fully-tested material and I don't think anyone should do so just to remain a member.

I expect that I should be reading, downloading, developing, testing and understanding for several months before posting anything. The forum should encourage new members who will eventually become significant contributors; but, everyone who is new to the cameras or development techniques which are a subject of the forum will have a steep learning curve to climb. They should not be discouraged from doing so.

You present a good case there, but the fact is that we now have +9000 users, only ~3000 have at least a one post, and only -3500 have logged in in the last 90 days.

This makes the database queries go up the roof...

There is always the option to re-register. From my p.o.v. that's more than adequate for a case such as yours. But that's just me saying.

Offline Hacki

• EOS 80D
« Reply #25 on: 29 / May / 2009, 05:10:20 »
You present a good case there, but the fact is that we now have +9000 users [..]

Am i the only one who doesnt believe that 9000 entrys is too much for a database? I highly doubt it will make any difference at all..

Offline mx3

« Reply #26 on: 29 / May / 2009, 05:54:25 »
Am i the only one who doesnt believe that 9000 entrys is too much for a database? I highly doubt it will make any difference at all..
I think well designed software can maintain good speed with millions of records.
skype: max_dtc. ICQ: 125985663, email: win.drivers(at)gmail, eVB decompiler

« Reply #27 on: 29 / May / 2009, 06:58:19 »
it is a non dedicated server, we dont know how much the database process has to share cpu and i/o with other processes and especially other vhosts. assuming is not knowing.

« Reply #28 on: 29 / May / 2009, 11:10:37 »
Hmmm... around 9000 members and the vote tally after a week or so is 47 votes total.  People are probably just taking extra time to consider all the issues before casting their vote ;>

In my case, I voted to prune the database for two reasons.  First, it just makes sense to me as many on the list will never come back anyway.  Others who are serious lurkers can rejoin if need be.

Second and perhaps far more important is that I am grateful that someone has taken the time to run this thing covering out of pocket costs for the benefit of the rest of us.  If that person feels the need to clean it up, I feel compelled to agree.
Was: SD1100 IS, Autobuild, V1.01a, dunked in ocean
Next: SD990 IS, Autobuild, used to build sand castles with
Waiting to die: SX230

Offline Hacki

• EOS 80D
« Reply #29 on: 29 / May / 2009, 11:52:07 »
In my case, I voted to prune the database for two reasons.  First, it just makes sense to me as many on the list will never come back anyway.  Others who are serious lurkers can rejoin if need be.

Second and perhaps far more important is that I am grateful that someone has taken the time to run this thing covering out of pocket costs for the benefit of the rest of us.  If that person feels the need to clean it up, I feel compelled to agree.

Agreed.

And besides that, it'll free up nicknames. Still. Probably wont do any harm, but i also believe that it wont help with that CPU load problem.

Regards