Memory resident: Can I remove CHDK containing card while shooting? - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum

Memory resident: Can I remove CHDK containing card while shooting?

• 4 Replies
Advertisements
Hi all,

I tried searching before posting this question, and I've found no answer to it yet.
I've yet to embark on the whole CHDK procedure, so I can't just test this myself, therefore I'm asking it here.

So: if CHDK resides in the camera's memory, does it mean that, once it's loaded, I can safely replace the card in the camera with any random memory card, and expect CHDK to remain functional, as long as the camera stays switched on?

In other words, when CHDK loads, is it all loaded at the same time from the card, making any further reading unnecessary?

I understand that switching the camera off (or replacing batteries) will remove CHDK from memory, and thus it will need to be loaded again at startup the next time when I turn on the camera.

But can I format a smaller (maybe 16-megabyte) card as CHDK-bootable, put it in the cam whenever starting it up, and then remove it and put in a bigger card, and maybe even keep switching cards until the next reboot? This way, I could avoid setting up all my cards with CHDK, and just installing it on one... Though having to insert this bootable card all the time might also be a hassle. Just thought I'd ask.

Thanks for any pointers!

Online reyalp

Re: Memory resident: Can I remove CHDK containing card while shooting?
« Reply #1 on: 29 / May / 2009, 21:37:34 »
CHDK itself shouldn't mind. If you intend to use scripts they'd have to be on each card, and CHDK settings would get saved on whatever card was currently in the camera.

IMO loading manually with the "firm update" option would be a lot simpler than swapping cards.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 30 / May / 2009, 03:58:03 »
I didn't think you could take out the card while the camera was on... My camera won't turn on if the hatch that covers the battery and memory card is open (and I don't really want to test opening it while its on).

Why don't you just copy the CHDK onto all of your cards and use the firm update option? That's a lot easier to do than making them autoboot, and it only takes a second to manually start it up.
My Flickr Page
I use the chdk on my SX230 and SD1100 cameras, and I installed them using a Macbook, currently running 10.6.8.

Online reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 30 / May / 2009, 20:12:15 »
I didn't think you could take out the card while the camera was on... My camera won't turn on if the hatch that covers the battery and memory card is open (and I don't really want to test opening it while its on).
Some cameras don't have the card in the same compartment as the battery. You might also be able to do this with an external power supply.

That said, unless puiz is using a camera that doesn't support firm update (only the SX1 currently AFAIK) then that certainly makes more sense.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #4 on: 31 / May / 2009, 04:26:10 »
Umm... what about CHDK configuration file and the directory structure (script settings) in general? Does CHDK check for their existance every time those files and directories are accessed or does it rely on a boot time check?