Combined USB and AV cable wiring question on SD990 IS/IXUS980 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Combined USB and AV cable wiring question on SD990 IS/IXUS980

• 2 Replies
Advertisements
My SD1100 IS/IXUS 80 camera had two connectors - a circular stereo (?) jack for A/V output and the small USB jack for USB. I replaced it with a SD990 IS /IXUS980 and noticed that it has just one connector for both.  It looks like a slightly modified USB jack.

I would like to have both functions available but the A/V cable Canon supplies does not appear to have USB functionality and the USB cable does not seem to have A/V signals.  It looks like I will need to hack something here to get what I want.  What I don't know now is if all signals are present all the time or if the camera detects which cable is plugged in and electrically reconfigures the signals...

I want to look at the video coming out and when I see something of interest, I want to communicate to the camera via the USB power wire to do something such as shoot now or zoom in or zoom out, etc.

Has anyone here had any experience in this area???
Was: SD1100 IS, Autobuild, V1.01a, dunked in ocean
Next: SD990 IS, Autobuild, used to build sand castles with
Waiting to die: SX230

Offline reyalp

Re: Combined USB and AV cable wiring question on SD990 IS/IXUS980
« Reply #1 on: 02 / June / 2009, 00:03:32 »
The camera definitely detects the AV variant of the cable, because it switches off the display when it is plugged in, even if the other end isn't plugged into a video device. If you plug in a regular USB cable, it either does nothing (if the other end isn't plugged in) or switches to PTP mode.

The regular USB cable is the same as other canon USB cables.

I don't think you will be able to do what you want without software and/or hardware hacking.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Re: Combined USB and AV cable wiring question on SD990 IS/IXUS980
« Reply #2 on: 02 / June / 2009, 12:17:53 »
This morning I looked at the connectors under a microscope.  The USB side has 5 contacts; the A/V side has 6. The USB cable lacks contacts on the A/V side and the A/V cable lacks contacts on the USB side.  Plus the A/V connector is a modified USB connector such that it will not fit into a normal USB jack.  They didn't make it easy! 

Looking at an SX110 camera at work, I see the same thing.  Canon probably has switched to using this throughout their line of cameras.  It saves one connector freeing up valuable real estate on tiny cameras.

Was: SD1100 IS, Autobuild, V1.01a, dunked in ocean
Next: SD990 IS, Autobuild, used to build sand castles with
Waiting to die: SX230