Battery life - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Battery life

• 21 Replies
Battery life
« on: 25 / January / 2008, 11:28:02 »
Advertisements
I've got one question. Have you noticed any differences in battery life between CHDK and original firmware?? In my situation battery indicator goes down quickly. Maybe it's because of old age of battery (16 months). Thank's for replie's.

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
Re: Battery life
« Reply #1 on: 25 / January / 2008, 12:38:59 »
yes, the battery drains alot faster than before. i can tell you why: because i'm shooting pictures much more often than before, always trying this and that, optimizing this and that, display always on because of running scripts etc.
i don't really think the battery is really draining faster now with CHDK, or at least theres not a BIG difference. on the other hand, without a battery icon/percentage (which chdk introduced) it is difficult to calculate the real drainage.
for a real test you should just leave the camera on (with chdk enabled) and stop the time until it shuts down, then do the same without chdk. but thats not a real test, because normally you shoot pictures.
my verdict: CHDK means DEATH - to batteries, just because you use your camera more often (plus, for example, saving a RAW file consumes more power).

« Reply #2 on: 25 / January / 2008, 14:34:19 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 10:04:17 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

Offline jetzt

• [A710IS,(SD200)]
« Reply #3 on: 27 / January / 2008, 11:39:49 »

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #4 on: 28 / January / 2008, 14:23:04 »
...and the most important thing (during discharge) is to note that the voltage is heavily dependent on load current. Just turn on the voltage display on CHDK, take your time to snap a few photos and switch to play mode and watch the voltage increase. Should be quite obvious, especially if the batteries are nearly empty.

Offline GrAnd

• [A610, S3IS]
    • CHDK
« Reply #5 on: 28 / January / 2008, 15:02:45 »
There were a few unsuccessful tries to prove a significant increase in power consumption with CHDK.

See also:
FAQ: Does the CHDK program consume additional battery power?
Camera Power Consumption
Live test (video): video1, video2.
CHDK Developer.

« Reply #6 on: 28 / January / 2008, 15:28:00 »
Thank's for polite. I also thought that CHDK shouldn't consume more power in standard operation including ex. live histogram, because of doing it always to save it in exif data.  Anyway you make me complete sure. Just don't believe at all in battery indicator  ;)

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #7 on: 01 / February / 2008, 04:57:55 »

Offline jetzt

• [A710IS,(SD200)]
« Reply #8 on: 01 / February / 2008, 10:02:16 »
Knew that, but for that session they're lost... Because if they're back in camera they are at once frozen again...will almost never through them away, for microcontroller testing allright

« Reply #9 on: 25 / April / 2008, 16:22:18 »
I have noticed that starting about the same time I started using CHDK on my A720is that the batteries drain in the camera when it is turned off.  I suppose it is possible that it happened sometime before or after and is unrelated to CHDK as well.  It takes a few days for the batteries to die (various NiMH).  Should I just send the camera back to Canon?