Load CHDK *only* when certain button is pressed during boot - Feature Requests - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Load CHDK *only* when certain button is pressed during boot

• 4 Replies
Advertisements
I would like to see an option to have CHDK only start if a certain button is held during bootup. Implementation of the feature as I envision it could be quite a challenge and would require creative thinking:

I use a large SD card in my S5 IS, so I use the 2 partition method: 1st partition is small FAT16 with DISKBOOT.BIN, 2nd partition is large FAT32 with all my photos and CHDK settings. When CHDK boots, it switches the camera over to the 2nd partition.

The effect of this is to create a hidden space with all my photos, since Windows cannot see the 2nd partition. Also, if the card is booted unlocked, only photos that I put in the 1st partition will be visible.

This strikes me as potentially very valuable in situations where authorities overstep their power and demand to see the photographs, or even take the camera from me. This may occur when documenting police brutality or other ill behavior, when going through customs and border security, or when legally photographing sensitive subjects.

If there could be a way to prevent CHDK from loading if a certain button is not pressed during load, I would be able to protect any sensitive photographs.

The problem: This is not desirable for most users, and the settings would reside on the *second* partition. Could the settings be read *before* switching? Can CHDK be made to not inject itself, or maybe go into an "invisible" state?

MrSpoon

Re: Load CHDK *only* when certain button is pressed during boot
« Reply #1 on: 23 / June / 2009, 14:22:59 »
I think it'd be much simpler to do the opposite, load chdk only when required and then have access to the 'hidden' partition. Or am I missing something?

Online reyalp

« Reply #2 on: 23 / June / 2009, 21:34:43 »
FWIW, there's a feature request in the tracker related to this: http://chdk.kernreaktor.org/mantis/view.php?id=79

Using a hidden partition is an interesting approach. It should be possible to control the partition swapping based on a button being held down.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #3 on: 19 / August / 2009, 13:20:12 »
Yes,it will be VERY useful! Or something like this...
While using small card you can lock/unlock it, but with two partitions this cheat doesn't work =(

Offline Atnas

« Reply #4 on: 05 / September / 2009, 15:16:52 »
You could shoot raw, and delete the jpg files. This way they are hidden from a non CHDK user.
A710 - SD1000(IXUS70)