SX 110IS alt mode - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum  

SX 110IS alt mode

• 4 Replies

Offline Bob

SX 110IS alt mode
« on: 25 / June / 2009, 14:04:29 »
Advertisements
Hello, I'm a new user.  Reading about the incredible possibilities of a CHDS enhanced camera, yesterday I bought the SX110IS (I needed a replacement for my stolen compact cam anyway...).  It took some time to go through the instructions, but finally I was able to install the recommended beta version, and after some trying, got into the <alt> mode, just to look at all the options.  But now, when I press the blue button, nothing happens. When I check <Func/set-Display>, the camera confirms the firmware upgrade. Is my blue button broken??? What to do???

Offline reyalp

Re: SX 110IS alt mode
« Reply #1 on: 25 / June / 2009, 20:33:59 »
CHD does not actually change your firmware. You either need to set it up to boot automatically, or go though the "firm update" process each time you use it.

See http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Bootable_SD_card for auto booting instructions.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline Bob

« Reply #2 on: 26 / June / 2009, 01:38:20 »
Thanks!  :) this morning, after sleeping a good night over it, I erased and reloaded CHDK on my flash card. No result. I was under the impression I had changed it to boot automatically.  ???

Why?

Because when pressing <Func/set> +<Disp>, the firmware is represented as the NEW CHDK VERSION, only when putting another SD card in without CHDK, the firmware is given as the original one.

I consider this a bug, as it puts a beginner completely on the wrong foot. :o

Only when I did the firmware update, way down the menu, was CHDK loaded, the splash screen showed, and the alt mode could be accessed! :D   Today some experiments with shutter speeds and time lapse....

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 26 / June / 2009, 01:43:43 »
Because when pressing <Func/set> +<Disp>, the firmware is represented as the NEW CHDK VERSION, only when putting another SD card in without CHDK, the firmware is given as the original one.
Huh ? CHDK does not, and cannot change this display.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #4 on: 27 / June / 2009, 08:47:23 »
Because when pressing <Func/set> +<Disp>, the firmware is represented as the NEW CHDK VERSION,
The CHDK 'complete' packages include the vers.req file, so the extended Canon info page with 1.xxX is shown...FAQ

only when putting another SD card in without CHDK, the firmware is given as the original one.
With a "clean" SD card without a vers.req file the usual fw info page with 1.x.x.x is shown.