"Only first raw in series" - RAW Shooting and Processing - CHDK Forum  

"Only first raw in series"

• 3 Replies
"Only first raw in series"
« on: 25 / June / 2009, 16:01:11 »
Advertisements
When checking "only first raw in series" in Raw Parameters (Allbest Build), and then proceed to perform a script (say, "EV bracket"), no raw image results, only jpg's in such number as scripted.  If I enable "RAW", only raw pics result, no jpg's.

Am I misunderstanding the word "series" here; is there another method by which only the first exposure will be raw; or is there a defect in my CHDK program?

Much obliged for your help.

Offline reyalp

Re: "Only first raw in series"
« Reply #1 on: 25 / June / 2009, 20:48:18 »
Which camera and canon firmware version ?

Which exact CHDK version ? If you are really using allbest, I'd suggest using trying the current trunk instead http://mighty-hoernsche.de/

How are you reading the images of the camera ? CHDK always produces jpegs, regardless of whether raw is enabled or not (in fact, we cannot control jpeg saving at the moment), but there are situations where they might not be visible over usb.

If you are using a script, you can enable/disable raw saving from the script. The 'first raw in series' should apply to the canon continuous shooting, which is normally used with CHDK bracketing.

Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 26 / June / 2009, 12:00:58 »
Thanks for your reply.
Canon A640 w/firmware v.100b; chdk build a640-100b-0.9.8-779 (this is not the latest posted, but quite current).

I appreciate your explanation that raw images are not discernible, but the image viewer I use (faststone) clearly shows which images are jpg's and which are crw, so I know that the script that I've been using does not produce a first raw image in a series.  Following receipt of your reply, however, I determined that if I merely check the "bracketing in continuous mode" in the chdk menu, and navigate to drive mode in Canon menu and customize the number of shots, etc., then (lo and behold!) the first image is, indeed a raw one.

Your comment in your final paragraph seems to answer my question, that is "series" doesn't relate to multiple shots provided in a script, but to those shots provided for by the chdk bracketing, and that I can enable or disable raw saving from the script in question.  That, indeed, was a revelation for me, for which I thank you.  Now all I need to do is figure out how to provide for that properly in a script.  (Can you give me a hint?)

Many thanks.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 26 / June / 2009, 18:48:47 »
It should be set_raw 0 or set_raw 1, to disable or enable respectively.
Don't forget what the H stands for.