Can't get CHDK to boot - General Chat - CHDK Forum

Can't get CHDK to boot

• 3 Replies
Can't get CHDK to boot
« on: 27 / June / 2009, 19:43:55 »
Advertisements
I have an IXY 900IS  (a.k.a. SD800 IS, Firmware GM1.00E) with a 2GB card. I'm running an iMac with OS 10.4.11. I

I've tried both methods, manual and autoboot. Neither gives me access to CHDK. With the manual method, I noticed the comment in the FAQ, "make sure your card is properly formatted in FAT32 first-- easy way is to format it in the camera". Don't know how that's possible since the camera only formats in FAT16. I assume that in the manual mode the "Firm Update" option should be at the bottom of the Tools menu. I used BlueHarvest to clean the files even though I used Stuffit to unstuff the archive.

I also tried the scripted installation and that hung up without completing.

The only problem I had when I tried to set up the card to autoboot was in the editing of BootSector.bin. I followed the directions very carefully (I'm a VERY old time computer user, so i understand the command line quite well). I could not find "FAT16" or "FAT32" in file that file. Here is the console log

RonsImac:~ ronald$ dd if=/dev/disk3 of=BootSector.bin bs=512 count=1
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
512 bytes transferred in 0.529741 secs (967 bytes/sec)

I'm a bit lost.

thanks!

Offline reyalp

Re: Can't get CHDK to boot
« Reply #1 on: 27 / June / 2009, 20:15:27 »
I have an IXY 900IS  (a.k.a. SD800 IS, Firmware GM1.00E) with a 2GB card. I'm running an iMac with OS 10.4.11. I

I've tried both methods, manual and autoboot. Neither gives me access to CHDK. With the manual method, I noticed the comment in the FAQ, "make sure your card is properly formatted in FAT32 first-- easy way is to format it in the camera". Don't know how that's possible since the camera only formats in FAT16.
That was an error in the FAQ, now fixed.  FAT32 isn't required, although would obviously be recommended for cards > 4 gb
I assume that in the manual mode the "Firm Update" option should be at the bottom of the Tools menu. I used BlueHarvest to clean the files even though I used Stuffit to unstuff the archive.
Firm update should appear at the bottom of the first menu you get when starting in play mode. It will not show up if you start in record mode.

If you want to use the "firm update" method, the procedure is very simple:
Format the card in camera
Insert the card in your card reader
Unzip the full install onto the root of your SD card. Be sure to read and understand http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ/Mac#You_may_have_issues_with_permissions.
Put the card in your camera
Start in play mode, open the menu and scroll down till you see "firm update" It is usually not visible until you scroll down.

Since your card is 2gb, you can make it bootable from within CHDK, after you start for the first time with firm update.

edit:
BTW, this thread probably belongs in http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/board,34.0.html but don't bother starting a new one there. One of the mods will probably move it.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 27 / June / 2009, 20:39:49 »
thanx - that did the trick. The only remaining issue is making the card bootable. I went to the CHDK menu, Miscellaneous Stuff and chose "Make card Bootable". When i press the "FUNC/SET" button, the screen flashes very briefly but gives not further indication that the function was performed. When I restart the camera it still is in manual mode. I've done this both in Play mode and Record mode.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 27 / June / 2009, 21:50:12 »
Is the card locked and diskboot.bin in the root of the card ?

If the card is locked, does the camera show "card locked" ?
Don't forget what the H stands for.