Not getting "Firmware Update" option on SX10 IS - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Not getting "Firmware Update" option on SX10 IS

• 11 Replies
Not getting "Firmware Update" option on SX10 IS
« on: 30 / June / 2009, 01:55:12 »
Advertisements
Hi Guys,

I downloaded the CHDK version for my SX10 IS, version 1.01, and copied all folders onto the SD card. i got the firmware update option once, but before i could do that, my batteries ran out. So, i recharged my batteries, but now i'm NOT getting the firmware update option only. I've even recopied all folders onto my SD card.  :'(
Please help..

Harsh

Re: Not getting "Firmware Update" option on SX10 IS
« Reply #1 on: 30 / June / 2009, 03:13:50 »
You need to start your camera in playback mode to get the firmware update option. If you start in shooting mode, and switch to playback you won't get this option.

You should also check that the diskboot.bin and ps.fi2 files are in the root of your sd card.

« Reply #2 on: 30 / June / 2009, 03:51:18 »
Hi,

I started my camera in playback mode as documented.

also i made sure that the diskboot and ps files are in the root folder only.

i think i'll try the "card tricks" method now. does using that method format the card from scratch? I already had some pics on my card. should i remove/back them up first before using "card tricks"?

« Reply #3 on: 30 / June / 2009, 14:42:42 »
On my SX10 I press the playback button, and once a photo is displayed, I press menu, and on the first menu, I go all the way to the bottom and I see the firmware update there.

Cardtricks may format your card to make it bootable.

I would always backup my card before making any changes or experimenting with software such as CHDK.

« Reply #4 on: 30 / June / 2009, 16:38:28 »
Hi,
thanks for your help cprmac..

i could see the firm update option and did that.. also enable RAW for testing. However, how do i now go to record/normal mode to be able to take pics? if i swithc off/on cam, i come ut of CHDK and have ot again do firm update. if i directly press shutter button, while in playback, it starts running a script..

can u help pls? thanks in advance

Offline reyalp

« Reply #5 on: 30 / June / 2009, 16:52:00 »
Leave alt mode. CHDK is still running, alt mode just lets you access CHDK controls.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #6 on: 30 / June / 2009, 18:22:42 »
I've found that I've had to make a bootable SD card to use record mode.

Bootable CHDK on my camera changes the power button function slightly. A short press starts playback, and a long (1 or 2 second) press on the power button starts CHDK in shooting mode.

The SX10 is different from some other Canon cameras because playback and shooting really require a power off to change modes.

The firmware update does not really update firmware, it just runs a program which will be cleared on a power off, so using the firmware update on a SX10 really only runs CHDK for playback and this is reset when switching back into record mode.

I would suggest using a bootable SD card when using CHDK. Remember to write lock your SD card to make sure that the camera boots the card.
« Last Edit: 30 / June / 2009, 20:29:34 by cormac »

« Reply #7 on: 01 / July / 2009, 01:12:37 »
Thanks for your help cormac. will try that tonight.

« Reply #8 on: 02 / July / 2009, 14:29:36 »
Hi cormac,

Thanks for your help so far. i was able to click in RAW, but lightroom 2.2 is not able to read .crw files. what program do you use to convert the .crw to dng format so that i can edit it in lightroom n ps cs3...

thanks in advance..

Harsh

« Reply #9 on: 02 / July / 2009, 15:26:39 »
You need to use the DNG format. The CRW format isn't supported in lightroom.

First you should run the BADPIXEL.LUA script in the TEST folder.

Once you have run this you can select  DNG format and 'DNG' file extension in the RAW parameters. The raw photos will them be saved as DNG files which should be read as a raw photo.