Run arbitrary non-CHDK ASM code - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Run arbitrary non-CHDK ASM code

• 3 Replies
Run arbitrary non-CHDK ASM code
« on: 21 / July / 2009, 17:40:21 »
Advertisements
Basically, what I want to do is compile a simple C program into a PS.FI2 file for my SX110IS, and run it on my camera. I'm not talking about CHDK. I just want to be able to go to Firm Update and then have it run whatever program is in PS.FI2. How do I do that? BTW, I am running Mac OS X.

Offline reyalp

Re: Run arbitrary non-CHDK ASM code
« Reply #1 on: 21 / July / 2009, 18:12:24 »
I'd start with the CHDK version for your camera, and just put the code you want in the loader. You can remove the other stuff, or just leave it and never execute it. The FI2 does need to be some minimum size to actually get loaded.

Doing it this way will ensure that you are using a tried and tested build process.

Note that after your PS.FI2 loads, the canon OS will be trashed so you'll need to reboot or something.
edit: note that this also means that you can't use most canon firmware functions, like the libc etc.

There should be some stuff on the wiki regarding setting up a build environment under Mac OS. You'll also need to get the FI2 keys for your camera, which is described in http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,2995.msg28117.html#msg28117
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 21 / July / 2009, 21:25:23 »
I don't see any keys in that link. Can you just post the keys?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 21 / July / 2009, 21:51:41 »
I don't see any keys in that link. Can you just post the keys?
The thread explains how to find them and why they are not posted directly.
Don't forget what the H stands for.