Video OUT during shotting or recorder - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

Video OUT during shotting or recorder

• 8 Replies
Video OUT during shotting or recorder
« on: 25 / July / 2009, 08:27:12 »
Advertisements
I would want to use CHDK to command from remote a photographic camera to make photo through a model of helicopter. To do this it's necessary to command to distance the shot and the zoom of the camera and I thought about using the CHDK combined to gentLED + usb cable.
I have need however to be able to see through the exit video-out what I am about to photograph transmitting to distance imagines him with a device radio from 2,4ghz.
Do they exist some camera, compatible with CHDK, that has the possibility to not only have the exit video out in reproduction but also in shot and recording? Or is it possible to do in way to activate this function with chdk in some camera?

Thanks

Re: Video OUT during shotting or recorder
« Reply #1 on: 25 / July / 2009, 08:37:18 »
Kite aerial photographers (KAP's) often do this.

Member Zeno can probably give you more information.

Are the USB and AV separate sockets or are they a single socket ?

2.4GHz transmitters may be limited to low poweer transmission, it depends where you live.

« Reply #2 on: 25 / July / 2009, 08:49:57 »
I have not bought yet the camera, therefore I can still choose the correct model for this application
I thought of bought a Canon SD990 (IXUS 980) or similar.
What I don't understand is if this camera has the possibility to have, also through the functions of CHDK, the video active out always also in shot and recording.

« Reply #3 on: 25 / July / 2009, 14:26:42 »
You do not need CHDK to do that.

I sometimes connect the camera to a TV.

The camera screen blanks but the live view is on the TV.
You operate the camera as normal, you are just viewing on the TV rather than the cameras own screen.

« Reply #4 on: 25 / July / 2009, 14:37:36 »
On newer cameras, Canon has combined the USB port and the audio/video output connector.  The result is something that looks like a modified USB jack and requires a proprietary plug/cable for access.  Canon supplies two cables: one for USB and one for A/V.  Only one of these functions can be accessed at a time with these cables.

If you want/need both USB access for camera control and simultaneously need video output, you will need to make/acquire/hack/etc. a combination cable.  And this assumes that Canon does not detect which cable is plugged in and turn off the other function. 

On older cameras, they provided two connectors.  My first camera was an SD1100/IXUS80 which had both; my current camera is the SD990/IXUS980 which has only the combined jack.
Was: SD1100 IS, Autobuild, V1.01a, dunked in ocean
Next: SD990 IS, Autobuild, used to build sand castles with
Waiting to die: SX230

« Reply #5 on: 25 / July / 2009, 16:16:23 »
If you want/need both USB access for camera control and simultaneously need video output, you will need to make/acquire/hack/etc. a combination cable. 

Someone has done this, the link may be in a KAP forum, I will try to find it.

Offline zeno

« Reply #6 on: 25 / July / 2009, 18:29:57 »
David - I think this is the KAP reference you were looking for:
http://steel.ced.berkeley.edu/cris/kap/discuss/comments.php?DiscussionID=2164
As you can see the SD880/Ixus870 also has a combined video/usb socket.
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

« Reply #7 on: 25 / July / 2009, 18:40:51 »
David - I think this is the KAP reference you were looking for:

That is the one !

I will archive it.

David

« Reply #8 on: 26 / July / 2009, 13:16:18 »
Thanks for the link! 
Was: SD1100 IS, Autobuild, V1.01a, dunked in ocean
Next: SD990 IS, Autobuild, used to build sand castles with
Waiting to die: SX230