Started dissecting Panasonic HVX200 - Non-CANON cameras development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Started dissecting Panasonic HVX200

• 3 Replies
Started dissecting Panasonic HVX200
« on: 27 / July / 2009, 14:30:17 »
Advertisements
the gory details are here:
http://deadhacker.com/2009/07/26/targeting-the-panasonic-hvx200-hd-camera/
This is a SH4 CPU with a MontaVista Linux system on top.  I've decompressed, dissected the firmware and started going through targets.  I'm at the stage now where the following questions come up and I would appreciate input from the community:

• Likely route for loading software?  Crosscompile HelloWorld.c and modify the firmware image before updating OR should o go the route of /chdk/trunk/loader/ like method?
  • About /chdk/trunk/loader, I am trying to understand how CHDK is loaded and I gather that the firmware updates on CHDK cameras such as a450 load the firmware update by restarting the system and startup up off the SD card as though it were a boot disk?  Does anyone have reference to other loading methods used by other CHDK cameras OR a CHDK target that might have more verbose documentation in the loader code?
  • There are no current CHDK targets whose host systems run linux, correct?

I ask because, I assume i would need to better understand the HVX200 factory method for firmware updating in order to replicate the CHDK style.  This would either be done by disassembly or some monitoring via an internal debug port and if that is the route with most fruit it helps to start prioritizing in the target list now.

Thanks

Offline whoever

• IXUS950
Re: Started dissecting Panasonic HVX200
« Reply #1 on: 29 / July / 2009, 13:30:40 »
I'm not really qualified to answer any of the questions, but since no one else does, and in a hopeless attempt to prevent this place from total brain death, here goes so far as it concerns Canon P&S and CHDK:
(1) You dissected it, so you should know better than anyone else
(2) CHDK exploits the firmware update mechanism of Canon P&S cameras, which, in one of its two alternatives, indeed uses SD as a sort of bootdisk. In which case (and I read that a similar mechanism can be activated in some EOS models), it works roughly as follows: If the card contains DISKBOOT.BIN in the root and conforms to some other requirements, then, at startup, DISKBOOT.BIN is loaded and run -- so, we're up and running. Then, some magic is performed (yes, by CHDK and foremost in the "loader") to restart the operating system of the camera while maintaining a copy of our code in the memory and hooking into the operating system as it starts. Note that NO PERMANENT CHANGES are made to the memory. For more detail (rather comprehensible), see, e.g., http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,1454.0.html and http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,234.msg1521.html#msg1521
(3) Correct

Offline mx3

« Reply #2 on: 30 / July / 2009, 05:12:15 »
Likely route for loading software?  Crosscompile HelloWorld.c and modify the firmware image before updating OR should o go the route of /chdk/trunk/loader/ like method?[/li][/list]

I would suggest to add simple bash script into firmware image which would check external media for existence of another bash/bin script to execute it on start.
in such way you can make failsafe firmware which you would apply to your camera.
then you can do anything with your system  without risk of damaging it - you can kill main application and run your own ...
skype: max_dtc. ICQ: 125985663, email: win.drivers(at)gmail, eVB decompiler

« Reply #3 on: 26 / August / 2009, 19:49:40 »
After both responses... yeah, basically that is the plan at first... a shell script from an SD card as is done with CHDK (almost). 
Since writing ive found tools exposed for accessing devices.  The P2 card specific code is there in the form of kernel modules.  So reversing should be fun, once I get time.  Hopefully in a week.

thanks btw, for the suggestions and info, to the both of you.