SX200is Porting - page 110 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum

SX200is Porting

• 1105 Replies
Re: SX200is Porting
« Reply #1090 on: 30 / July / 2011, 10:31:36 »
Advertisements
Hi, I'm considering buying an SX200. I notice that it says the CHDK is available for SX200s with certain firmware versions but not others. If I'm buying a camera, e.g. from Amazon or even from a physical store, is there a way to tell the firmware version before I buy it? I would hate to buy one and find out the CHDK doesn't work because of bad luck with getting firmware version a instead of d. (I'm sorry if this has already been answered, but I did search for it in the forums and didn't find anything.)

That adapter thing looks awesome, btw. If you figure out if it works for this camera, let us know.

I was actually considering getting the SX230 because it has a better zoom, but it doesn't seem to have the chdk (yet?) and that is more important to me.

The bad news is that there is no easy way to do this.  But there are a couple of options. If you can get a physical jpeg taken with the camera then you can use the ACID software package on your PC to determine the firmware version.  If you seach the forum you'll find things like http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=5180.0.

If you can get physical access to the camera,  you can take a formatted card with the ver.req file in the root and discover the firmware version  http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ#Q._How_can_I_get_the_original_firmware_version_number_of_my_camera.3F

Finally,  the people on the yahoo forum for SDM have been known to track some camera serial numbers against firmware version - most recently with the S95.   You might sign up over there and ask around.

If all else fails,  software tools for porting between firmware versions of the same camera have gotten a lot better and a lot easier to use http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=6367 & http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=6560.0
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #1091 on: 30 / July / 2011, 10:37:55 »
I think the problem with taking a photo in-store is that the floor model is not the same as the one they sell you. And usually once you open the box you can't return it, at least not without paying some expensive re-stocking fee. So it doesn't say the firmware version on the box, I take it?

Serial number tracking sounds potentially promising - if I decide to actually get one I'll look into that. Also good to hear that porting could work. Do you think its something I could count on? Thanks!
My Flickr Page
I use the chdk on my SX230 and SD1100 cameras, and I installed them using a Macbook, currently running 10.6.8.

« Reply #1092 on: 30 / July / 2011, 10:48:05 »
I think the problem with taking a photo in-store is that the floor model is not the same as the one they sell you. And usually once you open the box you can't return it, at least not without paying some expensive re-stocking fee. So it doesn't say the firmware version on the box, I take it?

Serial number tracking sounds potentially promising - if I decide to actually get one I'll look into that. Also good to hear that porting could work. Do you think its something I could count on? Thanks!

Not sure where you live but in the USA & Canada,  I believe that Best Buy (and thus their competitors I would expect) have a pretty good 14 day no-charge return policy.  That doesn't leave you with a camera though.  Should the demo model (yuck) be the right version,  you might be able to swing a deal with the manager ?

If the camera has already been ported,  then being able to  switch firmware versions is 100% likely.  But you need a little software experience to do it - or patience and the time to ask for help along the way, for example the CHDK channel on IRC.

« Reply #1093 on: 30 / July / 2011, 10:56:13 »
I'm in the USA, yes. I thought most places had a restocking fee for electronics - like you pay them $15 if you return an opened camera, and so if you wanted to do it a bunch of times to get the right firmware it wouldn't be worth it. Maybe if I explain the exact issue, they'd be willing to open one for me in the store to check right there - but I'm guessing that's not their policy. If they let me do that, I could bring a card with ver.req on it. I don't love the idea of buying the floor model unless I get a steep discount - who knows what's been done to it.

"If the camera has already been ported,  then being able to  switch firmware versions is 100% likely."

Sorry, but what exactly does that mean? On the list of supported cameras it says SD200 firmware 1.00d but not 1.00a, for example. Does that mean the 1.00a has not been ported? Or does the fact that the SD200 is there at all mean it has been ported and thus switching firmware versions should be fine?

I did successfully install the chdk on my SD1100 a few years ago, and I remember it took some trouble to get it right (partly because I was doing it on a mac and most of the instructions were for PCs) but I did get it to work. However in that case my firmware version was listed, and I'm not sure how much more complicated it would be if its not.

(I may actually hold out awhile longer to see what new cameras get supported - I covet that 14x zoom, but not without the CHDK - I'm having a lot of fun with the MD script to catch lightning on my current camera, but its zoom, megapixels, and angle of view are all pretty low compared to the new cameras.)
My Flickr Page
I use the chdk on my SX230 and SD1100 cameras, and I installed them using a Macbook, currently running 10.6.8.

« Reply #1094 on: 30 / July / 2011, 11:21:10 »
I'm in the USA, yes. I thought most places had a restocking fee for electronics - like you pay them $15 if you return an opened camera, and so if you wanted to do it a bunch of times to get the right firmware it wouldn't be worth it.
My wife bought a Nikon P&S  ??? at Best Buy recently ( 9100 mega zoom ) and they offered the 14 day return period. No mention of a restocking charge but that might have been a surprise awaiting.  You could always call the store ?  In any case,  it seems likely that all fw versions will be the same at a given store unless you get really luckly.

Sorry, but what exactly does that mean? On the list of supported cameras it says SD200 firmware 1.00d but not 1.00a, for example. Does that mean the 1.00a has not been ported? Or does the fact that the SD200 is there at all mean it has been ported and thus switching firmware versions should be fine?
If the camera is available with CHDK for any firmware version at all,  then getting a release for a different firmware version of that camera is 100% do-able if you know what you are doing or willing to learn.

(I may actually hold out awhile longer to see what new cameras get supported - I covet that 14x zoom, but not without the CHDK - I'm having a lot of fun with the MD script to catch lightning on my current camera, but its zoom, megapixels, and angle of view are all pretty low compared to the new cameras.)
Might be a good plan but CHDK ports for cameras often lag by years, if they happen at all.  There is no way to tell.

« Reply #1095 on: 30 / July / 2011, 12:34:09 »
If the camera is available with CHDK for any firmware version at all,  then getting a release for a different firmware version of that camera is 100% do-able if you know what you are doing or willing to learn.

Good to know. I think I could handle learning that stuff as a project if the need arose.

Might be a good plan but CHDK ports for cameras often lag by years, if they happen at all.  There is no way to tell.

My current camera works, so I don't actually NEED to upgrade now -- I'm just lusting after a better zoom. I might even hold out a couple more years until I have some interesting travel planned. I'm just trying to get the lay of the land - if there is one that seems like a really good upgrade now for an ok price, I might go for it this year, and if not I'll wait longer.

I really have a big decision to make: upgrade to a better pocket digital (like the SX230ish) or jump to a whole new category of cameras, like the "lite DSLRs". But that's off-topic here. All I'm saying is I haven't made a decision yet but I"m trying to collect info about the different options to help me decide.  

Thanks!
« Last Edit: 04 / August / 2011, 08:28:20 by CanonBlue »
My Flickr Page

« Reply #1096 on: 15 / August / 2011, 16:35:08 »
Hello,

I am looking for a way to fit a polarising filter to the sx200 and came across the following item on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Diameter-PowerShot-SX-210IS-auxiliary-Microfiber/dp/B0049CU1ZO

I ended up buying this anyway and out of the box it does not fit the sx200, but by taking a dremel to it I have managed to remove about 1.5 mm from the inside of the tube and it now fits my camera

Tkgafs

« Reply #1097 on: 09 / November / 2011, 04:10:36 »
I have accidently made some raw file in crw format. Dng2ps2 does not recognise it, is there an other easy way to convert them to dng format? thanks
(A 410), SX 200, (SX 280), SX 700

« Reply #1098 on: 13 / December / 2011, 06:22:34 »
I tried to make some waterdrop pictures and found that the fastest High-speed Flash Sync is 1/3200 as of the EXIF info. I set it to 1/10 000.
Is it possible to make it faster?
(A 410), SX 200, (SX 280), SX 700

Offline Nando

« Reply #1099 on: 13 / December / 2011, 06:38:05 »
Hi,
I have accidently made some raw file in crw format. Dng2ps2 does not recognise it, is there an other easy way to convert them to dng format? thanks
you have to create a profile. Try  dng2ps2_sx200.zip

bye,
Nando
Canon Powershot SX200 IS