long cloud lapse - Creative Uses of CHDK - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

long cloud lapse

• 11 Replies

Offline don

long cloud lapse
« on: 06 / August / 2009, 20:30:34 »
Advertisements
clouds1.avi
 This was captured with a a610,sunset14lua script, thanks to fbonomi,,,, movie created with virtualdub,converted with super
 http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html
Don

« Last Edit: 06 / August / 2009, 20:38:47 by don »

Offline barret

• S3 & a550
Re: long cloud lapse
« Reply #1 on: 07 / August / 2009, 03:04:41 »
great constant exposure :) good work!

« Reply #2 on: 19 / August / 2009, 07:32:22 »
Nice Images, the video is a little bit choppy though. You can get much more fluent results from clouds. Can't say if it's your shooting fps, playback fps, Flickr conversion or a combination of those. Experiment a bit for yourself.

Offline barret

• S3 & a550
« Reply #3 on: 20 / August / 2009, 03:00:49 »
the video is a little bit choppy though.
yes, i've been experiencing the same with my videos on vimeo. i don't know if it's my computer being too slow, or vimeo conversion, or what. because fps is ok, and every frame is perfectly timed, so there are no 'jumps'.
so, if any of you know a method of obtaining smoooooth cloud movement - let me know.

Offline Anaglyphic

• Anaglyphic lives!
« Reply #4 on: 20 / August / 2009, 19:54:05 »
Clouds move fast. I wouldn't shoot slower than a 10 second interval. During storms or high wind just go nuts, put it on continuous and let it go as fast as possible... because when you bump it up to output frame rates, a minute becomes a second and so on... every 10 second intervals makes 30 fps output video = 1 second = 5 minutes.

Here's a 10 sec interval sample @ 1920x1080x30fps output: HD-cloud-example.avi - 16.94MB
Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything,
 we ought to know a little about everything.
-- Blaise Pascal

Offline barret

• S3 & a550
« Reply #5 on: 21 / August / 2009, 04:43:04 »
Here's a 10 sec interval sample @ 1920x1080x30fps output: HD-cloud-example.avi - 16.94MB
playback is very choppy :/

Offline Anaglyphic

• Anaglyphic lives!
« Reply #6 on: 21 / August / 2009, 06:26:01 »
Is it just me, or is there no way to grab the original .avi off Flickr, like you can grab original size images? That tiny little embedded flash video is offensive to my eyes! Where's the real video? :b Don, we're CHDKers, by that fact alone we're tweakers and perfectionists... and you went to such lengths to capture, compose and construct it. It deserves high quality viewing.

@ barret: Really?? You're kidding. It's not even x264. It's encoded plain 'ol XVID @ 9.8M/sec...

OK I just played it on my file server laptop a few times,; a 1.66GHz (Merom T5500) with an incredibly slow shared-memory Intel 945GM on-board... playback is smooth, zero dropped frames, and 25% CPU utilization scaled to 1280x800, using VLC... so either you have a relic for a computer, or it's in need of T.L.C.

Time for some driver updates and house cleaning. But hey, now you know, it's not a flaw in your movie creation - it's glitchy video playback.
-- Blaise Pascal

Offline don

« Reply #7 on: 21 / August / 2009, 23:33:27 »
 I had the script set for a 3 second delay, but  1 second would have been much better to capture the churning action in the clouds that day.

I did a quick look through The over 2400 pictures and the script seemed to be very consistent in pictures per minute,,, so the choppiness Is either my doing or flickr's 
I thought That I had figured out the maximum size "in pixels" that Flickr would accept,,, but they shrunk it anyway,,lol

The next  ,, I'm going to try
 http://www.vimeo.com/

Offline Anaglyphic

• Anaglyphic lives!
« Reply #8 on: 22 / August / 2009, 19:56:32 »
Definitely Vimeo is good, both allowing 1280x720 content and since it's targeted at artists and videographers there's plenty of tips out there to encode your video so the degradation when they convert it to flash won't trash it. Another host that allows 1280x720 content and has bandwidth is blip.tv... like Vimeo they still transcode your video into embedded flash of their quality choosing; and like Vimeo their revenue is advertiser-based. (which definitely correlates to using a .tv domain name.)

My point was I'd willingly d/l a ~500M movie of it, just to play it once or twice. As cloud lapses go, it's that good. If I was putting together a demo reel of "CHDK Makes It Possible!" this would be on it. :D
-- Blaise Pascal

Offline don

« Reply #9 on: 23 / August / 2009, 22:22:20 »

Just for learning purposes I redid the video, cropping all around the middle to leave the 1280 by 720 pixels  that vimeo needs for a hd video.
I tried several different filter setting in an attempt to get more contrast. very tricky
I would think that I had it looking better only to see that it looked much different as I converted from avi to mp4 264.
 On my monitor this version seems to look ok at the small size but Vimeo apparently compressed it to much to do a full size,,,, what do you guys think?

« Last Edit: 24 / August / 2009, 19:49:59 by don »