supplierdeeply

Intervalometer on a SD1100

• 26 Replies

Offline bobg

• Publish
    Intervalometer on a SD1100
    « on: 10 / August / 2009, 00:01:04 »
    Advertisements
    I loaded 1.01A, and I can see the small font menu. But now I'm confused... I'm not sure what much of the menu means, and then I tried messing around to find the intervalometer, and couldn't find it. Now when I point and shoot, it gives me some scripting message. How do I take a photo now? And where's the intervalometer? Sorry for the silly questions, and thanks for your patience!

Offline fbonomi

• A570IS SD1100/Ixus80
      • Francesco Bonomi
  • Publish
    Re: Intervalometer on a SD1100
    « Reply #1 on: 10 / August / 2009, 04:40:42 »
    1) when you are in Alt mode, pressing the "shoot" button starts the current script.

To shoot normally, you have to exit the "Alt" mode.

On the sd1100, you toggle alt mode by pressing the button (I can't remember how it's labeled) with the blue led in it.

2) you can find here:
    http://drop.io/chdk_new_UserGuide_booklet_pdf
    a manual that is worth reading
    (get the A4 version)

3) an intervalometer is an add-on script that you have to load in the card, you won't find it in the CHDK menu

Offline bobg

• Publish
    « Reply #2 on: 10 / August / 2009, 22:12:25 »
    Thanks so much! I'm getting a better feel for this now, though I'm still a bit stuck. Before I search for and figure out how to load an intervalometer script, I thought I'd try something simple like bracketing. So I went into the menu, and under "Bracketing in continuous mode", I chose "1 Ev" for the TV bracketing value. Then I exited the menu and tried to shoot with bracketing, but I just get normal photos. I'd really appreciate another tip to get me off in the right direction... thanks!

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
      • fe50
  • Publish
    « Reply #3 on: 11 / August / 2009, 01:48:23 »
    So I went into the menu, and under "Bracketing in continuous mode", I chose "1 Ev" for the TV bracketing value. Then I exited the menu and tried to shoot with bracketing, but I just get normal photos.
    When set up the CHDK bracketing, use the cameras continuous mode or also the custom timer mode; the "Bracketing in continuous mode" is only available in one of the camera's continuous modes.

See
      Scriptless Tv bracketing
    and also
      SD990 bracketing guidance
    for more informations about scriptless bracketing.

Offline bobg

• Publish
    « Reply #4 on: 11 / August / 2009, 20:18:25 »
    Cool, it works for me! Thanks so much!

Can anyone recommend a script for an intervalometer? I'm all set for kite aerial photography, except for that script... and how to load it.

How about a long exposure? I'd love to try a minute-long (or longer) exposure of the night sky.

Offline bobg

• Publish
    long exposure
    « Reply #5 on: 12 / August / 2009, 00:04:04 »
    I feel silly... I'm trying to do a very long exposure, like 30-60 seconds, and I just can't figure it out. I keep changing the settings in Extra Photo Operations as I try to interpret what I'm reading in the UserGuide, but no combination of settings that I try is doing it for me. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Offline fe50

• fe50
  • Publish
    « Reply #6 on: 12 / August / 2009, 01:42:17 »
    I'm trying to do a very long exposure, like 30-60 seconds, and I just can't figure it out. I keep changing the settings in Extra Photo Operations as I try to interpret what I'm reading in the UserGuide, but no combination of settings that I try is doing it for me. Can anyone help?
    Sure...the following works also on all other cameras, but - the SD1100 is one of the cameras with extra long exposure possibility, so on this model you can use exposures also longer than 64 seconds...

The Manual mode give me the possibility to bring the exposure up to 15 second, but i'd like to have more.
    In chdk "Extra photo operation" i can set the Aperture up to 28.40 sec, but than my camera still uses the 15 second on the manual mode.
    No, with CHDK you can set up & use up to 64s on your SD750.

You can either choose one of the values in Override shutter speed - or you can use this setting in combination with the next menu item, the Value factor, for this set Shutterspeed enum type to [Factor]...

Sample:
    Override shutter speed  [23]
      Value factor          [1]
    Shutterspeed enum type  [Factor]

gives you 23 x 1 = 23 s exposure time.

The Canon OSD don't know anything about the CHDK overrides, it only shows values from the internal Canon list,
    so on exposure times beyond the Canon limit of 15s the Canon OSD will always show "15s"...

You can enable the additional CHDK OSD values from the OSD (Misc...) menu to see the "real" override values...

Offline fe50

• fe50
  • Publish
    « Reply #7 on: 12 / August / 2009, 01:44:37 »
    Can anyone recommend a script for an intervalometer? I'm all set for kite aerial photography, except for that script... and how to load it.
    There are lots of scripts, search for intervalometer, maybe also for kite or KAP here in the forum;
    see also CHDK wikia: Searching for intervalometer scripts....

Offline fbonomi

• A570IS SD1100/Ixus80
      • Francesco Bonomi
  • Publish
    « Reply #8 on: 12 / August / 2009, 02:06:59 »
    The SD1100 is a bit tricky for aerial photography, as it cannot be set into a "shutter priority" or "aperture priority" mode to ensure very short shutter times, and thus tends to give blurry photos in such a shaky environment

I developed some code to force the camera to shoot with very short shutter times for my balloon project, and bzfrank adapted it into a simple intervalometer here:
    http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=3509.0

you can find the script here:
    http://www.wizards.de/~frank/FTVIntrv.lua
    (save it as a .lua file in your card)

To use this script, you will have to force to camera to keep the ND filter out of the way. To do this, in the main CHDK menu go under "Extra photo operations" and leave all the settings to their defaults, apart:
    - ND filter state: Out (do not confuse it with "Off"!!)
    - Clear override values on sta: Unchecked (do not confuse the menu item with the "Clear on start" that you find under "Zoom Override". This is one of the last items in the menu

IMPORTANT NOTE: with this setting, if you use your camera normally you will have over-exposed photos. To use the camera normally you will have to set the ND filter back to "Off"

Offline bobg

• Publish
    « Reply #9 on: 12 / August / 2009, 20:42:00 »
    Thanks so much for the tips! I can't get it to work though... it just takes normal, short exposure photos. Here's a photo of my settings... am I doing something wrong?
    http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/3444/settingsh.jpg

I'm trying to do a very long exposure, like 30-60 seconds, and I just can't figure it out. I keep changing the settings in Extra Photo Operations as I try to interpret what I'm reading in the UserGuide, but no combination of settings that I try is doing it for me. Can anyone help?
    Sure...the following works also on all other cameras, but - the SD1100 is one of the cameras with extra long exposure possibility, so on this model you can use exposures also longer than 64 seconds...

The Manual mode give me the possibility to bring the exposure up to 15 second, but i'd like to have more.
    In chdk "Extra photo operation" i can set the Aperture up to 28.40 sec, but than my camera still uses the 15 second on the manual mode.
    No, with CHDK you can set up & use up to 64s on your SD750.

You can either choose one of the values in Override shutter speed - or you can use this setting in combination with the next menu item, the Value factor, for this set Shutterspeed enum type to [Factor]...

Sample:
    Override shutter speed  [23]
      Value factor          [1]
    Shutterspeed enum type  [Factor]

gives you 23 x 1 = 23 s exposure time.

The Canon OSD don't know anything about the CHDK overrides, it only shows values from the internal Canon list,
    so on exposure times beyond the Canon limit of 15s the Canon OSD will always show "15s"...

You can enable the additional CHDK OSD values from the OSD (Misc...) menu to see the "real" override values...