long exposure not working on SD1100 IS - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum

long exposure not working on SD1100 IS

• 6 Replies

Offline bobg

long exposure not working on SD1100 IS
« on: 14 / August / 2009, 08:07:40 »
Advertisements
I've been trying long exposures using CHDK and I'm having some trouble... it's worked a few times (yay!), but then not again. So I tried starting from scratch again to see if that would help. It didn't help, but now this will allow me to type everything I did, and hopefully someone will spot a mistake I made, or something I neglected to do:

1. I put the card in a card reader on my Mac laptop and deleted all the old files, i.e. my previous installation of 1.01A.
2. I put a blank ver.req file on the card, loaded it into the camera, and pressed set/disp. Version is 1.01A.
3. I downloaded the 1.01A CHDK firmware (for SD1100... I guess this is for SD1100 IS too?) and dragged and dropped them onto the card (after deleting my own ver.req).
4. I turned the camera on in Play mode, did the firm update (it said 1.0.1.0 to 1.1.0.0), pressed the button for ALT, opened the CHDK firmware menu, and set shutter speed just as shown here:
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/3444/settingsh.jpg
5. I exited the menu, turned off ALT, and then the LCD said TV:30.00000
6. I snapped a photo, but got a short exposure, less than a second. I then changed the Canon settings to try manual, auto, night settings, all with the flash set to off. No luck. By the way, on the few times it did work for me, in most cases the flash was left on by mistake, although it also worked a couple of times when the flash was set to off.

Any tips? I'd appreciate if anyone could set me straight... I feel like I must be quite close, as it did work a few times.

Thanks!

Offline Anaglyphic

• Anaglyphic lives!
Re: long exposure not working on SD1100 IS
« Reply #1 on: 14 / August / 2009, 12:46:37 »
Hi.

chr did a sweet job on the SD1100 port, and your overrides should work every time. Something is up. Overriding via factor 23x1, you should see 23.0000. The fact that the 30.0000 shows up is weird, but the fact that it doesn't actually override Tv is worse.

First guess: Kill your config file. Mount the SD card, go into the chdk/ folder, and move/rename/delete your cchdk.cfg file. Restart the camera and let CHDK generate a fresh one. See if your overrides work correctly after that.
Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything,
 we ought to know a little about everything.
-- Blaise Pascal

Offline bobg

« Reply #2 on: 14 / August / 2009, 17:11:24 »
Oh, sorry, it said 23.00000 when I set it to 23, 30.00000 when I set it to 30. But yes, it doesn't override Tv. I'll try this!

Hi.

chr did a sweet job on the SD1100 port, and your overrides should work every time. Something is up. Overriding via factor 23x1, you should see 23.0000. The fact that the 30.0000 shows up is weird, but the fact that it doesn't actually override Tv is worse.

First guess: Kill your config file. Mount the SD card, go into the chdk/ folder, and move/rename/delete your cchdk.cfg file. Restart the camera and let CHDK generate a fresh one. See if your overrides work correctly after that.

Offline bobg

« Reply #3 on: 14 / August / 2009, 17:55:36 »
Well, I tried that, took a shot in Auto mode, and it didn't do a long exposure. Then I tried Manual mode, with the flash (by mistake) and it worked! But not again. I tried switching modes again, but no luck. Any more tips?

Oh, sorry, it said 23.00000 when I set it to 23, 30.00000 when I set it to 30. But yes, it doesn't override Tv. I'll try this!

Hi.

I've been trying long exposures using CHDK and I'm having some trouble... it's worked a few times (yay!), but then not again. So I tried starting from scratch again to see if that would help. It didn't help, but now this will allow me to type everything I did, and hopefully someone will spot a mistake I made, or something I neglected to do:

1. I put the card in a card reader on my Mac laptop and deleted all the old files, i.e. my previous installation of 1.01A.
2. I put a blank ver.req file on the card, loaded it into the camera, and pressed set/disp. Version is 1.01A.
3. I downloaded the 1.01A CHDK firmware (for SD1100... I guess this is for SD1100 IS too?) and dragged and dropped them onto the card (after deleting my own ver.req).
4. I turned the camera on in Play mode, did the firm update (it said 1.0.1.0 to 1.1.0.0), pressed the button for ALT, opened the CHDK firmware menu, and set shutter speed just as shown here:
5. I exited the menu, turned off ALT, and then the LCD said TV:30.00000
6. I snapped a photo, but got a short exposure, less than a second. I then changed the Canon settings to try manual, auto, night settings, all with the flash set to off. No luck. By the way, on the few times it did work for me, in most cases the flash was left on by mistake, although it also worked a couple of times when the flash was set to off.

Any tips? I'd appreciate if anyone could set me straight... I feel like I must be quite close, as it did work a few times.

Thanks!

Offline Anaglyphic

• Anaglyphic lives!
« Reply #4 on: 15 / August / 2009, 00:32:44 »
That's bizarre. I wish I knew what to tell you. The camera's flash settings shouldn't have anything to do with it. I have four SD1100s, and all are 1.01As, and two of them are in my hands right now doing 180 second exposures. But - we do have one difference, I use 4G FAT16 partitions and autoboot CHDK, not the manual method with the PS.FI2...

To be honest, I can't go much further, you have a supported camera/firmware and can get CHDK to load, and what you describe sounds like test build behaviour - which it is not - and here's the thing, even if it was a quick test hack, things usually work or they don't. Intermittent behaviour + troubleshooting = aggravation. So my 2nd guess, and this is a wild guess, try an autobood CHDK.

Come to think of it you are not the first person to show up saying their SD1100 used to work, but stopped working, when doing it via the manual load. Do you have another SD card you can blank, even the tiny 16M one that came with the camera? Or can you copy everything off your currently used card and reformat it? (Yes even if it's a 32G SDHC, make a < 4G partition format it FAT16, don't worry about the "wasted" 28G right now, we're just trying to make it behave at this point.)

Since you didn't say what version you're running, see if this one is newer, if it is, get it: ixus80_sd1100-101a-0.9.8-788-full.zip If you haven't done the procedure before, there's instructions for making an autoboot SD cards on Macs here: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Bootable_SD_card#Mac. Extract CHDK onto the bootable card, lock it, and see if the Tv override works with an autoboot setup?

Runnin' out of ideas, dude. :b
--------

PS: I noticed your other thread in the scripts, locking up your camera. Are you SURE you have the right firmware version installed? CHDK is "close enough" that it latches and runs on the camera, but nothing works - like the address locations aren't correct - sounds like a revision issue.

If the firmware revision is matched and the autoboot doesn't fix the intermittent overrides and scripts crashing the camera, you'd probably better post it in the SD1100/ixus 80 porting .... thread.

Good luck!
Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything,
 we ought to know a little about everything.
-- Blaise Pascal

Offline bobg

« Reply #5 on: 15 / August / 2009, 21:52:39 »
Thanks so much for the suggestions.

I got myself a brand new 4GB card now. I did the scripted installation for autoboot as per the instructions here, without partitioning:
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ/Mac

Everything loaded fine, then I tried a 23 second exposure again. I set the settings just as before:

I snapped a photo with the flash off and got a short exposure. What a bummer! I tried again with the flash, and that gave me a long exposure! Very strange. It appears to work only with the flash set on, not when the flash is set to stay off. I tried the flash 3 times, then without the flash 3 more times, and this held true... it only does long exposures when the flash is left on, in auto mode.

I'm turning the flash on or off just by pressing the lightning-shaped arrow to the right of func/set to switch between auto and off.

This is the version I'm using:
ixus80_sd1100-101a-0.9.8-788-full

Any suggestions? I'll keep checking back, and I'll try anything that anyone suggests. Thanks!

That's bizarre. I wish I knew what to tell you. The camera's flash settings shouldn't have anything to do with it. I have four SD1100s, and all are 1.01As, and two of them are in my hands right now doing 180 second exposures. But - we do have one difference, I use 4G FAT16 partitions and autoboot CHDK, not the manual method with the PS.FI2...

To be honest, I can't go much further, you have a supported camera/firmware and can get CHDK to load, and what you describe sounds like test build behaviour - which it is not - and here's the thing, even if it was a quick test hack, things usually work or they don't. Intermittent behaviour + troubleshooting = aggravation. So my 2nd guess, and this is a wild guess, try an autobood CHDK.

Come to think of it you are not the first person to show up saying their SD1100 used to work, but stopped working, when doing it via the manual load. Do you have another SD card you can blank, even the tiny 16M one that came with the camera? Or can you copy everything off your currently used card and reformat it? (Yes even if it's a 32G SDHC, make a < 4G partition format it FAT16, don't worry about the "wasted" 28G right now, we're just trying to make it behave at this point.)

Since you didn't say what version you're running, see if this one is newer, if it is, get it: ixus80_sd1100-101a-0.9.8-788-full.zip If you haven't done the procedure before, there's instructions for making an autoboot SD cards on Macs here: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Bootable_SD_card#Mac. Extract CHDK onto the bootable card, lock it, and see if the Tv override works with an autoboot setup?

Runnin' out of ideas, dude. :b
--------

PS: I noticed your other thread in the scripts, locking up your camera. Are you SURE you have the right firmware version installed? CHDK is "close enough" that it latches and runs on the camera, but nothing works - like the address locations aren't correct - sounds like a revision issue.

If the firmware revision is matched and the autoboot doesn't fix the intermittent overrides and scripts crashing the camera, you'd probably better post it in the SD1100/ixus 80 porting .... thread.

Good luck!

Offline bobg

« Reply #6 on: 15 / August / 2009, 22:24:39 »
Wait - it works! The weird thing: it only works when I press the shutter button slowly... or maybe half push it for a while...

I think I was doing that inadvertently when I was shooting with a flash.