Motion Detection too slow? - page 9 - Script Writing - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Motion Detection too slow?

• 253 Replies
Re: Motion Detection too slow?
« Reply #80 on: 04 / February / 2008, 18:59:55 »
Advertisements
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 10:25:26 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

« Reply #81 on: 05 / February / 2008, 00:17:15 »
Hey guys, the motion detection works with lightning in the day. We just had a huge thunderstorm. Unfortunately batteries were going flat but I just had to check if it would work just by hand-holding the camera. Missed every great flash due to getting sore arms and the lightning moving all round. But this fairly average strike succeeded.

« Reply #82 on: 05 / February / 2008, 09:06:20 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 10:25:47 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

« Reply #83 on: 05 / February / 2008, 14:06:50 »
Great shot jonnythe.

And thanks anonymous for the dump guide. Now I can activate it in the menu on my G7 but the display, and or +/- buttons don't seem to do the dump. I'll keep working on it.

« Reply #84 on: 05 / February / 2008, 15:08:25 »
Well I don't really agree that is a great shot. Yeah I just put the A610 on manual, f8 and for some reason dialed in a 1/100 shutter speed trying to get a proper exposure. So I think this was a bit of a fluke. Most of the "leader" flashes were just too dim in the daylight to set it off and I couldn't lower the threshold since I was hand holding the camera. But that shot was definitely triggered by the motion detection. As usual though every time I pointed the camera to a different part of the sky, there'd be a good strike where I was looking previously. Always the way isn't it.

I tell you though, just as I put my arms down for a rest the last time, there was a beautiful bright forked strike right where I had the camera pointed, not much more than 1km away going by the thunder delay. And with an easily discernible delay between the pre-flash, just like with the successful capture. If I had have got that, I think we all would have peed our pants.

Offline GrAnd

• [A610, S3IS]
    • CHDK
« Reply #85 on: 05 / February / 2008, 16:12:44 »
Just FYI...
I've just made an experiment. I measured time delay of 'shoot' command which is used for internal shooting in md command. It is about 650ms for all preparations (from calling to virtual pressing of "shoot_full"). Then I applied my suggestions regarding -10ms, etc. And this time is reduced to 230ms.
CHDK Developer.

« Reply #86 on: 05 / February / 2008, 16:48:23 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 10:26:11 by Barney Fife »

« Reply #87 on: 05 / February / 2008, 17:13:10 »
Does this mean then, that no matter how the internal shoot command might be "tweaked" that it might never get faster than using the script "click shoot_full" method? (I find that hard to believe, but it's possible I suppose.) Given that, then could the external script shoot method be sped-up by removing all code from CHDK for the internal method? (Just wondering out-loud here.)
This still doesn't make sense to me. Obviously internal code should be faster than a script????
What I attempted to do was work out exactly what happens when "shoot_full" is called from the script and hard code the process into the MD routine. Then compare the timing with the script method. I can get the source I downloaded to compile and it seems to run ok, but the internal shoot function will not run. I'm stuck.

Offline rjoe

• Canon S3-IS
    • Archaeology Jobs and Archaeology Field Schools
« Reply #88 on: 05 / February / 2008, 23:24:28 »
Hi all,

While searching for settings for the Motion Detection Scripts I found that there are good suggestions, but widely scattered.  In an attempt to streamline some of the excellent results people are getting I set up a single Wiki page at

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Motion_detection_settings#Motion_Detection_Settings

It is my hope that this page will serve as a repository for finalized help on settings.

Best,

R. Joe

My hat is off to the developers of CHDK and the community of script writers!  Thank you for making the tool I have wanted for my Canon from the start, but did not have the resources to create.

Offline GrAnd

• [A610, S3IS]
    • CHDK
« Reply #89 on: 06 / February / 2008, 01:54:30 »
Does this mean then, that no matter how the internal shoot command might be "tweaked" that it might never get faster than using the script "click shoot_full" method?

Right now - yes. Because  the internal shoot command uses "shoot" command, not "click 'shoot_full'". The "shoot" command does a lot of others actions before it clicks 'shoot_full'.
CHDK Developer.