High speed photography - Creative Uses of CHDK - CHDK Forum

High speed photography

• 8 Replies
High speed photography
« on: 26 / August / 2009, 04:39:31 »
Advertisements
Fudgey's Motion Detection script used to capture this water-filled glass jar dropping and smashing on the ground. Two halogen lamps were standing to the right of the camera, illuminating the scene so that it was bright enough for a high ISO and fast shutter speed. Shot in CHDK .dng format, and then edited in Adobe Camera Raw, followed by Noise Ninja noise reduction.

ISO 1600
f/2.6
1/1250

For larger size: smash2

and other CHDK-related images, see my flickr, http://www.flickr.com/photos/gremmy

Offline RaduP

Re: High speed photography
« Reply #1 on: 26 / August / 2009, 14:10:02 »
Nice, but that's not high speed. This is high speed: Lightbulb filament (I think 1/40K of a second or something).
That was a 60W lightbulb.

« Reply #2 on: 27 / August / 2009, 03:07:25 »
Haha, well, I suppose it isn't high speed, but it's a pretty fast capture - the best an a590 would be capable of producing in this situation. If the lighting source was brighter, and an even higher ISO available, a true high speed capture would have been possible.

Offline RaduP

« Reply #3 on: 27 / August / 2009, 03:39:52 »
Why not just use the flash? You can also try a slave flash as well, if the light is not enough. Then you can use a reasonable ISO, such as 80 :D

« Reply #4 on: 27 / August / 2009, 03:46:20 »
I didn't think the flash would sync fast enough to be used in conjunction with the MD, but I'll take your word for it and give it a try next time. I don't have the funds to get a slave flash, as I'm only a 17 year old student ;) Thanks for the advice RaduP

Offline RaduP

« Reply #5 on: 27 / August / 2009, 04:19:51 »
Well, take a look at this: Waterfall
It's done using the flash, at something like 1/20K, f/11, ISO 80. I forgot the exact details, the EXIF does not store those out of range values for some reason.

The water was pretty close, maybe 10 CM away, so you will not be able to use such short exposure, but you might be able to do something at 50 cm at ISO 400, 1/10K of a second with a full flash.

« Reply #6 on: 27 / August / 2009, 04:43:05 »
Wow, that's a real good example, thanks. The settings you suggested, "50 cm at ISO 400, 1/10K of a second with a full flash.", would be ideal for taking shots such as the one I originally attempted. Thanks for the informative guidance RaduP, it's appreciated.

Offline RaduP

« Reply #7 on: 27 / August / 2009, 05:18:30 »
No problem.
Just experiment until you get it right (of course, without actually breaking another glass while you experiment :D )

« Reply #8 on: 27 / August / 2009, 08:16:12 »
Haha, I don't plan on cleaning up anymore glass shards anytime soon.