Another USB shutter question... - page 2 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Another USB shutter question...

• 28 Replies
Re: Another USB shutter question...
« Reply #10 on: 28 / August / 2009, 04:37:43 »
Advertisements
I forgot to mention, I used four 1.2V batteries in a battery holder.

If you are interested in KAP, a certain manufacturer is considering producing a very interesting device that will be controlled by the camera using SDM's 'send_data' command.

David

Offline CMC68

« Reply #11 on: 28 / August / 2009, 06:52:11 »
Will four 1.5v be OK? I have a 4xAAA holder I thought I would use.

KAP wise I'm a complete novice. Just gathering kit at the moment, including a first kite which I plan to order once KAPshop is back open (I'm UK based). Any 'devices' linked to this would be interesting however. What's it do?

Chris

« Reply #12 on: 28 / August / 2009, 07:34:39 »
Will four 1.5v be OK?

Sure !
People get very concerned about the USB voltage, there is even a link to the USB standard on the WIKI.
It is irrelevant, the USB V+ input is a logic signal, not a source of power.
However, by suitable choice of resistor for left transistor collector we can make the voltage 5V or less.

> (I'm UK based)

So am I.
It may be worthwhile if you have a local Maplins to obtain some mini USB 1.1 plug assemblies to make-up your own plug.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=22681

Mini USB receptacle is useful because you can plug-in your lead and check with a meter the wires are the correct way around.

Ebay item # 220306480587

What's it do?

Moves the camera.

David

Offline zeno

« Reply #13 on: 28 / August / 2009, 08:01:33 »
Chris
the basic idea of the device David is referring to is to allow the camera to be an AutoKAP controller - so a script, as well as clicking the shutter every few seconds, can also send signals to pan and tilt servos - similar to (but maybe more flexible) external AutoKAP controllers such as the Aurico - http://steel.ced.berkeley.edu/cris/kap/discuss/comments.php?DiscussionID=1161&page=1 .

Where in the UK are you?
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

Offline CMC68

« Reply #14 on: 28 / August / 2009, 10:15:23 »

People get very concerned about the USB voltage, there is even a link to the USB standard on the WIKI.
It is irrelevant, the USB V+ input is a logic signal, not a source of power.
However, by suitable choice of resistor for left transistor collector we can make the voltage 5V or less.

It may be worthwhile if you have a local Maplins to obtain some mini USB 1.1 plug assemblies to make-up your own plug.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=22681

Mini USB receptacle is useful because you can plug-in your lead and check with a meter the wires are the correct way around.

Ebay item # 220306480587

Maplin is where I ordered the other components from this morning. Additional bits also purchased.

What size resistor would you suggest?
Maplin is where I ordered the other components from this morning. The additional bits you recommend have also been purchased.

Chris
the basic idea of the device David is referring to is to allow the camera to be an AutoKAP controller - so a script, as well as clicking the shutter every few seconds, can also send signals to pan and tilt servos - similar to (but maybe more flexible) external AutoKAP controllers such as the Aurico - http://steel.ced.berkeley.edu/cris/kap/discuss/comments.php?DiscussionID=1161&page=1 .

Where in the UK are you?

I'm a recent member of the berkeley forum and I've seen that controller. The camera controlled one David mentions sounds even more practical - weight etc. When/where is it likely to be available? I'm getting to grips with everything right now and starting to make decisions on which options to go for, kite/kit wise.

I'm in Kent.
Chris

« Reply #15 on: 28 / August / 2009, 10:27:57 »

What size resistor would you suggest?
Forget about it for now, you have to select on test.
With the batteries you are using you will be OK.

I'm in Kent.

Spent three years of my youth at UKC, a long time ago.

I lodged with 'Miss Herne Bay' and her parents   :)

David
« Last Edit: 28 / August / 2009, 10:30:04 by Microfunguy »

Offline CMC68

« Reply #16 on: 04 / September / 2009, 02:46:01 »
All the components have arrived. I will just need to interpret the circuit design and your instructions turning them into a stripboard layout. I don't suppose there is a piece of software that can convert schematics to stripboard layout is there? (spot the amateur)

I have had a quick go at high speed with the camera, using the high speed MD script. Image attached. Whilst it isn't a great image technically, but its a good proof of concept, I'll be tinkering with that approach again, trying to get more light (slave flahses) and concentrating on my camera settings. But for a first CHDK session I am reasonably pleased.

Chris

« Reply #17 on: 04 / September / 2009, 07:22:35 »
I don't suppose there is a piece of software that can convert schematics to stripboard layout is there?
I doubt it.

You are almost certain to make a mistake with the stripboard layout but the low voltage means no damage should occur.
Make sure you have the transistor connections correct.
Make sure that you cut the strips at the correct places.

You could make a power and ground rail from some single-core copper wire and stretch between nails on a board.
Then, just directly solder all the components together and between the rails..
When it is working you could even encapsulate in Araldite.

I have had a quick go at high speed with the camera, using the high speed MD script.

Very interesting, I have not had time to play with that yet.

David

Offline CMC68

« Reply #18 on: 08 / September / 2009, 13:52:47 »
Hi David,

I have made a start, but predictably confused myself and stalled  :-[

I'm following your instructions and the diagram you linked to. But its when I also look back to your description of how it operates I get confused.

If I have this right we have an output to the camera's USB. An input from my flash trigger. And a 5v (give or take) power supply.

The USB connection to the camera gives a permanent 5v supply, until the push button is hit which interrupts and starts the camera sequence (equivalent to half press). An LED illuminates to show this has happened and there is a window within which we can trigger the shutter. Presumably the USB output has gone back to 5v and then (within the window) the flash trigger goes off which results in the 5v being interrupted again and the camera shutter operates.

So, if I have that right here's the bits I don't understand:

The diagram has two switches - is one the flash trigger input?
It also has two LEDs what's the second one for?
It has only two transistors but your description lists three.

So not quite getting how your instructions relate to the diagram I started with your instructions which I did find easy to follow.

Connect normally-open switch from left transistor base to ground.
Connect right transistor base to collector of third transistor.
Connect third transistor base to ground via 1K8 resistor.
Connect third transistor emitter to ground.
Connect third transistor base to V+ via a normally-open switch and 2K7 resistor.

I got to the last point, but that has the third transistor base connected to + and -. Is that right?

And then you don't describe all the connections etc.

Any chance you can interpret it differently?

I have 3 transistors, each with a C, B and E connection. I get that.
One push button switch
One LED
One input (flash trigger)
One output (USB)
One power supply
And several resistors.

What I think I would understand is if you extended your instructions based on those components. I can then put it onto stripborad fairly easily I imagine (assuming it doesn't matter the order the components arrive at the + or - rails/strips).

I did warn you my electronics knowledge was limited, but I try to learn quickly. Hope your not regretting helping :D

Chris

« Reply #19 on: 08 / September / 2009, 15:12:36 »
The images below shows the components on a prototype module.

Any questions, just ask.

Once you have built it we can take it further.

David