I know it is been a long time since the latest developments but I really wanted to load these tweaks in my camera - yes I still use a 350D
I have fully read the thread but I have some doubts mainly related to the great variety of versions in terms of (i) activating the boot from CF card (ii) which AUTOXEC.BIN and config folders to use.
In order to ease the procedure for newcomers such as myself I tried to detailed the algorithm to be followed, in order to use CHDK with a Canon EOS 350D, below.
I would like to kindly ask if someone could validate such procedure.
1. download bootflg2.zip by Peaboy in post #342 (https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=4202.msg57328#msg57328
). This seems a more reliable file as it does more checks before performing the change that allows boot from CF card than the scanled.fir proposed initially
2. unzip bootflg2.zip
3. put a CF card into some card reader connected to the PC
4. format such card
5. put bootflg2.fir (found in the unzipped folder of bootflg2.zip) into the root of the CF card
6. insert CF card into Canon EOS 350D
7. Go to settings and click OK when the Update Firmware prompt shows up
8. Wait ~10 minutes (according to some posts I have seen, people report the need to wait sometime in an attempt to avoid bricking? the camera)
9. Meantime, a blue led should flash twice (continue to wait until the 10minute mark is reached)
10. If not, remove battery and abandon
11. If it does, remove battery and proceed
12. Remove CF Card from Canon EOS 350D, put it on the card reader and connect it to the PC.
13. Format CF Card using CardTricks as proposed by CyberKat in post #21
) "using option "CF boot sector checked and make the card bootable is an absolute requirement" - thanks to mbuono for the input (for cards <= 4Gb) or using HxD proposed by crazyklaus
in post #418 https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=4202.msg91030#msg91030
(for cards > 4Gb)
14. Unzip/Unrar 350D-20120916.zip or 350D-20101011.zip or 350D-20100814.zip or 350D-14012014_GZS.rar (can be found somewhere across this thread)
15. After selecting one of those .zips, put all its contents into the CF card
14. Put the CF Card into the Canon EOS 350D
15. Insert the battery into the camera
16. Power ON
17. A blue light and red light should flash indicating that the contents were successfully loaded
Two more questions:
1. Which of .zip files should be chosen to be used in terms of (a) reliability and (b) a wider range of functions?
2. In case of failure (Step 9) what should be done?
Thank you and Best Regards,