350d boot from cf card - page 5 - DSLR Hack development - CHDK Forum  

350d boot from cf card

• 510 Replies
Re: 350d boot from cf card
« Reply #40 on: 25 / October / 2009, 10:58:12 »
Advertisements
Hi,

Not sure where to post this, but for Mac users it may be useful to know about the following hex editor, called iBored:

http://apps.tempel.org/iBored/

Attached is a screenshot of using it on a 2 GB card.  Just remember to scroll forward to block 63.

And thanks for the enabled features!  It's a fabulous firmware hack!  Makes one wonder why these features were not enabled to begin with.

« Reply #41 on: 25 / October / 2009, 11:00:23 »

Not sure where to post this, but for Mac users it may be useful to know about the following hex editor, called iBored:

http://apps.tempel.org/iBored/

PS: It's freeware.

Perhaps this info would better go on the Wiki?  Where specifically?

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #42 on: 25 / October / 2009, 15:07:53 »
Hello & welcome, xandx !

Perhaps this info would better go on the Wiki?  Where specifically?
I suggest here: Software - Helpful Tools, and maybe somewhere in the Mac FAQ...

« Reply #43 on: 26 / October / 2009, 10:20:29 »
dear sirs,
i've tried to download all attachment and try to update the firmware step by step. but i have not succeeded :(
(i already updated to 1.0.3, there is only one version of firmware 1.0.3 right?)
if you guys don't mind, can you give me tutorial? here or with yahoo messenger (my id is indrasworo)

when i try to update it with scanled.fir, the screen shows:
"CF card containing firmware is reqired to update"

(if there's no .fir file, the sentence added with: "cannot update" and stop button)
then it's hang. i wait for 15 minutes, take off the battery. put it again.
then i use cardtricks (tick CF boot sector, format it, make bootable), copy autoexec.bin (try it twice, with or without scanled.fir)
put CF in the camera, turn it on.. and......... DP light didn't turn on/blink

i tried again with bootflag.bin and bootflag.dir, same result.

first, i thought my camera protected so i can't update the firmware, then i try to update it again with firmware 1.0.3, and no problem.

can anybody help me,please?

thanks

« Reply #44 on: 26 / October / 2009, 11:20:54 »
wisnu198,

The screen showing the cryptic message after firmware update seems normal. At least, I had the same message, and the update worked nonetheless.

I had had trouble making the CF boot record in the correct format.  Once I figured that out, it worked properly.

« Reply #45 on: 26 / October / 2009, 13:09:17 »
xandx,

i've tried with iBored too, but still unsuccessful.. :(
i assume if i use 1GB, formatted from 350d, it would be fat16 right?

what do you mean by "the CF boot record in the correct format"?

« Reply #46 on: 26 / October / 2009, 13:28:11 »

what do you mean by "the CF boot record in the correct format"?

By that I mean placing of the elusive  "EOS_DEVELOP" and "BOOTDISK" strings in the correct places.

1 GB is probably FAT16.  If you had the camera format the card, then you should see the string "EOS_DIGITAL" (if I recall correctly) at the position where the string "EOS_DEVELOP" should be.  In that way, you'll know if you are in the right place.

Note that the http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ/Mac, recently pointed out to me by fe50, has alternative ways of getting the right master boot record (MBR).  There's a lot of info there.

Once the CF card was bootable in the sense described above, I copied autoboot.bin and bootflag.*  onto the CF card.  I then ran the bootflag firmware update and loaded autoboot.bin after that.

« Reply #47 on: 06 / November / 2009, 03:29:18 »
ok still doesn't work :((.
just want to make sure:
when you update firmware with scanled.fir, the screen will show showing:"CF card containing firmware is required to update" then go blank OR only showing:"CF card containing firmware is required to update"?

« Reply #48 on: 06 / November / 2009, 08:51:22 »
FWIW I used bootflag-20090921, not scanled.fir.

Maybe someone knowledgeable can tell us the difference?  and what it's meant to show when done?

(PS: when I ran bootflag, it showed the text and then sat there. I had to remove the battery to reboot.)

« Reply #49 on: 06 / November / 2009, 10:47:36 »
try that one too.. following step by step from http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/350D
still doesnt work :( *whats wrong with my camera? :(*