350d boot from cf card

• 503 Replies
  • Publish
    Re: 350d boot from cf card
    « Reply #220 on: 14 / August / 2010, 14:20:56 »
    Advertisements
    too expensive  :P

yes, the 550D has many great improvements over the 350D, but it won't lose any of its abilities when we have the 600D or whatever the successor will be called so I still can get it then for less money and have fun coding for the 350D longer

I'm right now doing some stuff, will upload new version later

MilanC:
    you had a few errors in the german version, a typo in the code you obviously wouldn't notice if you don't try to compile it with the german setting, and in the main.c the option was called "DEUTSCH" while in user_settings.txt it was called "GERMAN"

• Publish
    « Reply #221 on: 14 / August / 2010, 15:19:32 »
    « Last Edit: 14 / August / 2010, 15:32:35 by crazyklaus »

• Publish
    « Reply #222 on: 14 / August / 2010, 15:45:06 »
    this file contains the complete stuff

http://www.mediafire.com/?wrsb07go8rqmkc9

If you don't wan't to compile your own version, simply take the autoexec.bin file and copy it to your CF card (after you have EXACTLY followed the instructions on this page if you do it for the first time: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/350D )
    DON'T TRY TO HACK YOUR CAMERA IF IT IS NOT FIRMWARE VERSION 1.0.3

the autoexec.bin is english, with the old menu order and a beep as shortcut confirmation

• Publish
    « Reply #223 on: 15 / August / 2010, 12:03:56 »
    I noticed that RAW+M JPEG and RAW+S JPEG doesn't really save the pictures as M/S JPEG, it only shows that in the info screen, but on the card the pictures are still L JPEG.

• Publish
    « Reply #224 on: 17 / August / 2010, 15:40:14 »
    just finished beta version of some stuff that lets you select ANY AF points combination you like over the info menu, will work on and upload something in the next days

• Publish
    « Reply #225 on: 20 / August / 2010, 11:10:58 »
    the timelapse concept is great, too, but it doesn't work reliably for me. no problem with the buttons in the menu, but the timelapse sequence itself, sometimes stops, sometimes doesn't stop when it should (all images taken), behaves differently with AF/MF
    I suppose you already know this ;)
    Yep. I believe I posted a workaround for this, actually :D. Just set 'review time' to 'hold', which will prevent the camera from switching to power-saving mode, and the shot will be taken.
    (TODO: find a better method, or at least automatically set screen brightness to minimum and review time to hold when using time-lapse, then restore previous settings.)
    I noticed that RAW+M JPEG and RAW+S JPEG doesn't really save the pictures as M/S JPEG, it only shows that in the info screen, but on the card the pictures are still L JPEG.
    Yep... noticed and mentioned that too, but I was too lazy to remove the code.

Keep up the great work! I'll be back as soon as my exams are over, in more or less two weeks... Here are a few ideas I'll work on then ('xcept if some 'magically' find their way into the code earlier...)
    * Better white balance presets (incandescent, hint, hint...). Presets for Baader-refiltered 350D's would be EXTRA awesome.
    * Faster custom white balance (shortcut shoots, sets wb to custom, selects image to get wb from, deletes image)
    * Read list of Tv/Av values from a text file and acquire images automatically
    * Translate the menu to French and perhaps Czech
    * I think we should find a better way to host and update the code. A CVS or SVN repository would be nice.

A note to linux users: you can compile the code using the toolchain provided earlier in this thread, by running build.bat in wineconsole.
    Milan

• Publish
    « Reply #226 on: 20 / August / 2010, 15:28:58 »
    Yep. I believe I posted a workaround for this, actually :D. Just set 'review time' to 'hold', which will prevent the camera from switching to power-saving mode, and the shot will be taken.

Do we need to be in a certain mode? P, Green, M, etc?

Set doesn't do anything for me

• Publish
    « Reply #227 on: 21 / August / 2010, 14:43:02 »
    I already tried to post this on thursday, but somehow my post got lost and I didn't have the time to type it again.

I have built (up to, depending on your settings of course) three new menu points in the INFO menu that let you select any set of AF points you like (so there are three sets available), and for each set there is a shortcut that actually loads it into the camera.
    the AF helping light of my external flash doesn't work when you're using a set that is not standard.
    Use left/right in the info menu to move the cursor and set to activate/deactivate the selected points. Set needs to be pressed two times.
    If all points are selected in a set the menu will show
    TLLCRRB
    this stands for top, left, left-center, center, center-right, right, bottom.
    the point where the cursor is set to will be in lowercase. non-selected points will show a blank, with cursor set on them a @

the values are stored in a file, settings.txt and loaded from there. otherwise they would be lost everytime the camera goes to standby or is switched off.

Shortcuts are as follows (changed some, will do the user configurable next week):

Quality menu (can be configured to be available via the SET button in the custom functions)
    zoom-out: af points set 1
    zoom-in: af points set 2
    direct-print: af points set 3

measuring method menu:
    zoom-out: go to beep menu
    zoom-in: spot measurement
    direct-print: go to parameter menu

beep menu:
    zoom-out: toggle flash on/off (red led flashes to show flash is enabled, blue led to show disabled)
    zoom-in: toggle safety shift on/off (red enabled, blue disabled)
    direct-print: toggle mirror lock-up (red enabled, blue disabled)

http://www.mediafire.com/?rdbun8tqc8i57db

the autoexec.bin in the zip is with my personal menu order and in german. please build your own.
    « Last Edit: 21 / August / 2010, 14:54:28 by crazyklaus »

• Publish
    « Reply #228 on: 22 / August / 2010, 08:53:42 »
    Great work, MilanC and crazyklaus!!

Crazyklaus, i get german "Info" menu. how do i change it to English?

Cheers,

• Publish
    « Reply #229 on: 22 / August / 2010, 12:07:51 »
    like I said, I didn't build an extra autoexec.bin, so the one in the .zip contains my personal settings

you need to download the gcc346.zip I linked to AT THE BOTTOM of this post: http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,4202.msg51343.html#msg51343

then unzip it anywhere you like.
    copy the 350D-20100821 directory from the zip file IN MY LAST POST to gcc346\myproject\350D-20100821

then open the file user_settings.txt in any text editor you like eg windows notepad etc

at the top of the file where it says language, remove the // in front of #ENGLISH and put it in front of #DEUTSCH.

the file must say
    Code: [Select]
    /* Language */
    #define ENGLISH
    //#define DEUTSCH
    after that.

you can also make your own menu this way IF YOU WANT TO.

USE THE BLOCK THAT IS NOT INCLUDED IN /*    */

change the numbers after the entries to get the menu order you like

put // in front of entries you don't need/want. replace the number after #POSITION_LAST with the highest number you used (except lines with // at the beginning, those don't matter)
    make sure you start with 1 and leave no gaps up to the number after #POSITION_LAST
    (again lines with // at the beginning don't matter).

after you made your settings, SAVE the user_settings.txt file

then run the build.bat file

the autoexec.bin file is going to be replaced with a new one, built using your settings.