350d boot from cf card - page 41 - DSLR Hack development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

350d boot from cf card

• 510 Replies
Re: 350d boot from cf card
« Reply #400 on: 08 / September / 2012, 14:27:49 »
Advertisements
i just had a look at that script and the problem is that it reads the light level from the camera, not sure how to do that on the 350d. don't think even 400plus can do that yet.

i was planning on doing something more like little bramper where u specify the change over time of the exposure, and it would automatically double the iso and halve the tv when it got too long. but not really any point without bulb mode as we then only have the standard tv values (full, 1/3 and 1/2 stops) to adjust the exposure by.

i've also got a canon point and shoot (IXUS 130) and maybe point and shoots are better suited to timelapse stuff anyway? no shutter to damage for one thing...

it's been nice getting my old 350d out again anyway, just using an old manual focus 50mm f1.4 esp with the presets i added for storing iso/ev etc. i also added a mini editor so u can name the presets in camera. i'll upload the code and bin file to some sharing site later.

edit: glad u got the card working :)
« Last Edit: 08 / September / 2012, 14:29:52 by zestoi »

« Reply #401 on: 09 / September / 2012, 03:59:31 »
Something "blind" like libble bramper whould be nice for 350D, even if you noted that by using the camera times, aperture and iso settings, you have to round out the exposure to 1/3 stop. Ok anyway without Bulb. A little of flickering will occur, but this may be easily corrected in PP, i.e. with LRtimelapse.

Some trials must be done to find the right parameters, but this is not a problem.

Most important, like in "sunset4", maximum iso and exposure time values should be set so that when the sky is dark, the timelapse will expose correctly and without flickering.

Thanks for your feedback.

« Reply #402 on: 09 / September / 2012, 11:04:01 »
Update: today I've tested a couple of timelapses, but the camera stopped imaging and now, if I try to shot I get Error 99 (a generic code) and the shutter makes a different noise (mirror up but curtain closed).  :( :(  :'( :'(
Since I've installed the chdk yesterday, is this the cause? How to solve?

« Reply #403 on: 09 / September / 2012, 11:48:38 »
Update: today I've tested a couple of timelapses, but the camera stopped imaging and now, if I try to shot I get Error 99 (a generic code) and the shutter makes a different noise (mirror up but curtain closed).  :( :(  :'( :'(
Since I've installed the chdk yesterday, is this the cause? How to solve?

it's probably not the hack itself. i often had error99's on my 350d which is why i stopped using it a year ago or so, before i ever tried the hack. it just stopped doing it when i dug it out the other month which is when i thought i'd try the hack.

from what i remember when i was looking into error 99's before it's related to lens communication, shutter or not enough power to the camera. u can try cleaning battery and lens contacts with a clean/new pencil erasor and make sure your battery is fulled charged.

nothing in the hack is permanent (apart from making it look for the autoexec.bin file, but even that can be reversed) so if it was related to the hack it would go away when u powered the camera off and on again. the times i know that i did something stupid with my own code (null pointer etc) the camera usually gave me an error01 not error99.

which version are you using? i think i based my code off 350D-20101011 and did fix a few things that *may* have caused me some errors sometimes, tho since my camera does sometimes gives an error99 anyway it may just have been my camera being a bit faulty. i bought it 2nd hand from ebay cheap with the AF broken so guess it wasn't looked after too well.

i can upload my version without the ramping stuff in (as it's not finished) if you wanted to try that.

edit: error99 and shutter life is one reason why a point and shoot may be better suited to timelapse stuff anyway
« Last Edit: 09 / September / 2012, 11:50:53 by zestoi »

« Reply #404 on: 09 / September / 2012, 18:03:02 »
Hi zestoi and thank you very much for your reply. Unfortunately I suspect the problem is in the shutter itself and maybe it is broken and must be substituted. Maybe chdk is not responsible for that, even if I cannot exclude.
I've a friend that can change me the shutter with one of a spare 350D. This will need 1+ weeks.

I'm saying that above because I've tried many tests:
-cleaning the contacts and using a very good charged battery. No improvement.
-removing the lens and test, same problem
-trying to clean the sensor chip with the command that opens the shutter. The mirror locks up but the curtain does not open.
-I've tried with another clean CF card, no differences

Some additional info:
-according to chdk, my shutter count is at 158k. Timelapsing requires a little of shots...
-I've installed version 350D-20101011 (latest version found yesterday)
-I've a p&s camera but, even if good, the quality is way worser respect to 350D

If you can upload (or send me privately) a new code to test, I'll try.

Thank you again.

« Reply #405 on: 09 / September / 2012, 18:20:10 »
-according to chdk, my shutter count is at 158k. Timelapsing requires a little of shots...

:o wow... didn't think a shutter would get anywhere close to that...

If you can upload (or send me privately) a new code to test, I'll try.

i'll post a link to my code here tomorrow, in case anyone else wants to try it.

« Reply #406 on: 14 / September / 2012, 15:37:29 »
according to chdk, my shutter count is at 158k. Timelapsing requires a little of shots...
Very likely that it has simply reached its natural end of life. Most three-digit canon models shutters don't even get close to that number.

« Reply #407 on: 14 / September / 2012, 15:56:07 »
Very likely that it has simply reached its natural end of life. Most three-digit canon models shutters don't even get close to that number.

it's a pretty impressive number :) oddly with this firmware hack my 350d reads a very low shutter count which i'm sure can't be right.

« Reply #408 on: 14 / September / 2012, 16:15:12 »
I remember that, back when I was trying to get one of these hack functions to work I managed to fire the shutter without increasing the counter a couple dozen times while testing.

Apart from that the displayed shutter count should be 100% accurate. All it really does is reading out a hidden counter that is included in the firmware by canon.
Maybe canon can reset the counter - was your camera ever repaired?

« Reply #409 on: 14 / September / 2012, 16:23:39 »
i've never seen the counter *not* go up each time i fire it but it just seems oddly low at 2998. i bought the camera cheap from ebay 2nd hand as the auto focus wasn't working so i *assumed* it has been used a lot before i got it. it could be it's right but it's also had intermittent error99's since i got it which i also figured indicated that it had been used a lot. i bought it as backup for my 400d.