supplierdeeply

uv/ir

• 18 Replies

Offline a710is

• A710 IS
Re: uv/ir
« Reply #10 on: 01 / February / 2008, 07:55:30 »
Advertisements
I once saw some incredible pictures with "white" trees that looked absolutely amazing and the guy said that he had the camera taking pictures in infrared by just basically pulling out some cable from inside some A-series camera. maybe CHDK could "pull that cable out" in software.
« Last Edit: 01 / February / 2008, 07:57:35 by a710is »

Offline zdravko

• [ S3 IS ]
« Reply #11 on: 01 / February / 2008, 08:49:36 »
... and the guy said that he had the camera taking pictures in infrared by just basically pulling out some cable from inside some A-series camera. maybe CHDK could "pull that cable out" in software.

Maybe this guy did not explain well. Every digital camera has a tiny glass in front of the sensor. This glass is an infrared blocking filter - the goal is to block most of the infrared light, because the camera gets confused by it and cannot reproduce the visible light as we see it on the photos taken.
Some peoples are deliberately pulling the IR blocking filter out of their cameras and then using a filter similar to R72 (blocking most of the visible light and passing the infrared) they can take nicely looking infrared photos even with fast shutter speeds.

Here is an example for such a modification:
http://geektechnique.org/index.php?id=254

But it is not for the faint hearted  :D

Regards,
Zdravko

« Reply #12 on: 03 / February / 2008, 21:25:27 »
If you want handheld IR photos you can take the IR cut filter off of some camera's sensors. One of my students is taking the filter out of a kodak m753 for a school project.

Offline jetzt

• [A710IS,(SD200)]
« Reply #13 on: 10 / March / 2008, 13:50:46 »
I tried that one today:   Create your own IR filter ||| Photocritic blog
found a rest of unexposed, but devellopped film, but I think I got the wrong type, there is only a color drift to red,
and that's it. However there are some nice / funny effects in b/w.
(You get the effect of high iso films, perhaps lower contrast, photos look like the old self-developped b and w photos,
an alternative to post processing, with the same better or in that case worse results.)

Any other experiences with that?

Edit: Thanks, had negatives. So dia should be right?.
« Last Edit: 11 / March / 2008, 12:47:37 by jetzt »

« Reply #14 on: 10 / March / 2008, 16:21:58 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 14:14:23 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

Offline dzsemx

• [SX40HS][A650][A630]
« Reply #15 on: 14 / March / 2008, 15:46:23 »
i tried to make IR images with canon.
the bad news is that canon generally has a real good ir blocking filter :(
even professional ir pass filters doesn't solve situation, u get black image or something brown

my sony ericsson k800 does ir images... so i could make some puple ir pictures on a sunny day with black film (u need 2-3 layers of it, to get ir only image) :)
so you need to remove the ir block filter :) like here:
Canon A70 IR mod
canon350d filter removing

btw... i removed ir filter from my shitty webcam so i made some very very very poor quality pictures with white grass, white trees and purple sky... something like this(not mine, just i didn't keep any of those shitty pictures): IR by ~Fynal666 on deviantART
if you wan't to make a real good quality ir shots, you need to remove ir block filter, use F11-F22 for sharpness, and shoot raw...
« Last Edit: 30 / March / 2008, 15:04:45 by dzsemx »

Offline jetzt

• [A710IS,(SD200)]
« Reply #16 on: 15 / March / 2008, 05:13:12 »
Did you also try with long expusures? I think with 15 sec or something like that there should be some results.
(I expected the need for long exposures cause of that.)

BTW. Your Webcam seems to be a good one, mine isn't that fine!

« Reply #17 on: 02 / May / 2009, 23:47:55 »
But is there a way to change CDD IR capacibility to on just in firmware ?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #18 on: 03 / May / 2009, 00:22:47 »
But is there a way to change CDD IR capacibility to on just in firmware ?
No, of course not. The color response of the CCD is determined by physical filters, not software.
Don't forget what the H stands for.