Time Lapse in Ixus 870 IS (SD880 in USA) - Script Writing - CHDK Forum  

Time Lapse in Ixus 870 IS (SD880 in USA)

• 5 Replies
Time Lapse in Ixus 870 IS (SD880 in USA)
« on: 20 / September / 2009, 14:17:55 »
Advertisements
Dear Friends:

First I've to request apologizes about my bad English.

I'm trying to do a time lapse video in my city using my Canon Digital Ixus 870 IS (I think that in usa is known as 880). The problem is that I have tried with a lot of time lapse scripts, but only one works, and not very well.

The only one that works is a script called "stb_b_14.lua". I tried with the Car Lapse script, the Night lapse script, and many other, but they didn't work.

As I say, the std_b_14.lua works, but it has a little problem. I takes only 500 frames, more o less, then the camera powers itself off. The battery has enough charge (70%) and the memory card is not full. I don't know why the camera turns off by itself.

And, on the other hand, after 2000 or 3000 shots the camera battery is gone. Im trying to have the camera working a complete day (24 hours), but this seems impossible. I think that the most consuming thing is that the screen of the camera is always on.

It is possible to turn off the camera screen while taking photos?

Thanks in advance.

R. Campos.

PS: my camera firmware is 1.00e

Offline reyalp

Re: Time Lapse in Ixus 870 IS (SD880 in USA)
« Reply #1 on: 20 / September / 2009, 17:52:01 »
The only one that works is a script called "stb_b_14.lua". I tried with the Car Lapse script, the Night lapse script, and many other, but they didn't work.
When you say "they don't work" that doesn't give anyone enough information to possibly help you.
As I say, the std_b_14.lua works, but it has a little problem. I takes only 500 frames, more o less, then the camera powers itself off. The battery has enough charge (70%) and the memory card is not full. I don't know why the camera turns off by itself.
The camera is crashing, hard to say why.

And, on the other hand, after 2000 or 3000 shots the camera battery is gone. Im trying to have the camera working a complete day (24 hours), but this seems impossible.
It is impossible without an external power supply.
I think that the most consuming thing is that the screen of the camera is always on.
Here's some detailed analysis of power consumption http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,3872.0.html
It is possible to turn off the camera screen while taking photos?
You can change the display more (by pressing the disp button or through script) or turn off the back light, or plug something into the video out plug.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 22 / September / 2009, 09:24:22 »
Dear reyalp:

Thank you very much for your answer. I will try your suggestion and turn off the display using a script, because in my camera the DISP button does not turn off the display (I suppose that is because my camera does not have a viewfinder).

And about the Night Lapse Script, the problem is that when I execute it, the script fails and exits because it can not find the fb-lib, but I'm totally sure that the librearies are in the library folder.

I will try with the script that works for me, and I will try to add some code to turn the screen off.

Thank you very much.

R. Campos.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 22 / September / 2009, 19:18:48 »
And about the Night Lapse Script, the problem is that when I execute it, the script fails and exits because it can not find the fb-lib, but I'm totally sure that the librearies are in the library folder.
There should be instructions in the thread you downloaded it from. Once you find the correct fb-lib file, you can put it in either CHDK/SCRIPT or CHDK/LUALIB
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #4 on: 23 / September / 2009, 02:55:44 »
I will try your suggestion and turn off the display using a script, because in my camera the DISP button does not turn off the display (I suppose that is because my camera does not have a viewfinder).

The display can be switched off in record mode by long-pressing the PRINT key (for ~ 1 to 1.5 seconds).
To set this, in the Canon menu (in record mode, menu item "Set PRINT Button...") the PRINT key should be registered to "Display Off".
This can also be used for saving battery lifetime in scripts: to shut off the display in a script a sequenze of

press "print"
  sleep 100
  release "print"

can be used after each shot.
Turning off the display this way in a script can lead to 3 times longer battery lifetime.

-> Beware - this method turns off also the camera's sensor & electronics, the MD (Motion Detection) will not work with this method !

« Reply #5 on: 24 / September / 2009, 05:40:31 »
This information is very usefull for my intentios.

Thank you very much.