NEWB NEEDS HELP - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

NEWB NEEDS HELP

• 5 Replies
NEWB NEEDS HELP
« on: 21 / September / 2009, 16:38:36 »
Advertisements
I have recently applied CKDK 100K to my SD300 and I need some help. When I push the shutter button in alt mode I see the default script start, although none of the bracketing setting that I attempted to set work, actually nothing works. I see when I exit atl mode that the settings that I put in place show up on the display screen. I would like to learn how to do some of the HDR pictures using scripts to change the effects of each picture taken. If anyone could help me it would be great.

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
Re: NEWB NEEDS HELP
« Reply #1 on: 21 / September / 2009, 17:08:46 »
Hello & welcome, t0y0taFJ !
I have recently applied CKDK 100K to my SD300 and I need some help. When I push the shutter button in alt mode I see the default script start, although none of the bracketing setting that I attempted to set work, actually nothing works. I see when I exit atl mode that the settings that I put in place show up on the display screen. I would like to learn how to do some of the HDR pictures using scripts to change the effects of each picture taken. If anyone could help me it would be great.
Pressing the shutter button in <Alt> mode starts the last loaded script, e.g. the "default" script...
Set up your overrides in the CHDK menu, then leave the <Alt> mode.

For scriptless bracketing have a look to this little guidance.

Some more links for you:
- CHDK wikia: CHDK user guide as pdf file
- CHDK wikia: uBasic bracketing scripts

« Reply #2 on: 22 / September / 2009, 08:57:42 »
Thank you so much for you help, and I'm sorry for asking dumb questions.... I can get the bracketing set under the CHDK menu although I 1) cant figureout hose to set the delay and the shot count, and 2) can not get the bracketing to initiate when I push the shutter.

Offline hotvedt

• A540/SX110IS/350D
« Reply #3 on: 22 / September / 2009, 09:58:51 »
You will need to put the camera in continuous drive mode, then press and hold the shutter as usual.
Or use the one that you can choose a number of shots to be taken if you have it (what is the name on this mode?).

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #4 on: 22 / September / 2009, 14:52:25 »
Thank you so much for you help, and I'm sorry for asking dumb questions.... I can get the bracketing set under the CHDK menu although I 1) cant figureout hose to set the delay and the shot count, and 2) can not get the bracketing to initiate when I push the shutter.

Ahhh, sorry, but: IMO the SD300 don't have an custom timer mode, only a self timer mode with 2 or 10 seconds delay...only newer cameras (from the SD400 on) has the additional custom timer mode..

So set up the bracketing in CHDK menu, leave <Alt> mode;
then switch to the camera's continuous mode , now xou should see your CHDK bracketing values on the screen.
Press & hold the shutter until the needed images (3,5,7 or 9) are taken, then release the shutter button.

Offline Michigal

• Lighthouse Lover
    • Lighthouse News
« Reply #5 on: 23 / September / 2009, 10:23:17 »

So set up the bracketing in CHDK menu, leave <Alt> mode;
then switch to the camera's continuous mode , now xou should see your CHDK bracketing values on the screen.
Press & hold the shutter until the needed images (3,5,7 or 9) are taken, then release the shutter button.

Can another newbie give some advice?

t0y0taFJ, you might want to download one of the scripts for bracketing that are available. The reason being that in continuous mode, you have to hold the shutter button down. If you're doing bracketing, that will sometimes cause enough of a camera shake, even if you're using a tripod. In fact, it was the tripod that was moving ever so slightly. At least I found that happening with me. And it's far better to not have to use image alignment afterward if you don't need to.

After I started using a bracketing script, I have been getting much better photos, as my hand leaves the camera as soon as I start the script. And there's no more risk of the tripod moving.  8)
« Last Edit: 23 / September / 2009, 10:25:01 by Michigal »
Sue
Power Shot A630 user (love that camera)