Memory always full - I think it's running CHDK on the small partition - page 2 - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum

Memory always full - I think it's running CHDK on the small partition

• 31 Replies
Re: Memory always full - I think it's running CHDK on the small partition
« Reply #10 on: 25 / September / 2009, 21:55:55 »
Advertisements
Thanks for the help! For me, the autoload is just a convenience, for I can certainly load CHDK manually when I need it.  Now, I just have to figure out how to find (or write) and run a script to cause the A710 to capture an image every <x> seconds -- that's what I actually need to do.

« Reply #11 on: 26 / September / 2009, 06:06:49 »
sazmazm,

Since you're using a 2GB card, I would recommend that you format it using a single partition.

The multiple partition support is really only required for >4GB cards. It can be kind of a pain to work with when you put your card into a Windows-attached card reader, since Windows only wants to recognize the first (i.e. small) partition. This forces you to remember to go into the CHDK menus and swap the partition order before popping the card into your reader, then go back into the CHDK menus when you put the card back into your camera to get CHDK to run from the proper partition.

sd100indc,

This applies to you too! Follow reyalp's advice and do what you can to get your 4GB card formatted with a single FAT16 partition.
SD800IS (IXUS 850)
S3IS

« Reply #12 on: 26 / September / 2009, 11:31:03 »
Okay, here's where we are...

I followed the instructions on this page, specifically the section entitled: SD Card >4GB
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ/Mac

I was able to partition the card into a small partition of 9megs of so, FAT16, and a large partition of the rest, FAT32

I edited Bootsector.bin with 0xED, and loaded it back on the SD card.

I then copied the DISKBOOT.BIN and the PS.FIR files to the small partition, as directed.

I then copied the CHDK folder and the vers.req file to the large partition.

I ejected the card, locked it, inserted it in my camera, and had the same problem - it worked, it loaded CHDK, but it told me I only had 8 megs available in memory (the same size as the first partition).

Now, the very interesting part, I think.  When I load the card back into my reader, and use my Mac to look at what files are in the partitions - lo and behold, there is now a CHDK folder in the FIRST smaller partition.  I didn't put it there.  I even deleted it, loaded the card back in my camera, CHDK launched, and it put the folder back in the first small partition.

Is that why it thinks I only have 8 megs of memory - because for some reason it's loading CHDK in the first small partition?

And if so, why, and what do I do about it?

Thanks guys for helping on this.

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
« Reply #13 on: 26 / September / 2009, 12:27:32 »
@sd700indc

I still don't understand why you insist on partitioning... since your card has 4 GB it should work
if you use the instructions for cards <= 4 GB on the page you linked.
Also, are you sure your card is compatible with your cam ? I checked a manual and it never
said anything about SDHC cards, does your cam properly work with this card without CHDK ?

hth,

wim

« Reply #14 on: 26 / September / 2009, 13:41:51 »
I think I tried not partitioning at the very beginning, and it gave me that error, and I didn't know to ignore it and just continue.

This time I went ahead anyway, regardless of the error, and it didn't work.  But, I remember somewhere else in the forum someone talking about having to "remove the flags" - so I tried that, even though I dont quite understand what it is - and it worked.  It now shows all the gigs.

Oh, and I have an SD card, not an SDHC (on this cam), and I've had the camera and card for 3 years.  Though that's moot now - thanks guys for all the help.

Offline whim

« Reply #15 on: 26 / September / 2009, 14:09:52 »
glad you got it sorted  :D
hang on to that card (non-SDHC 4 GB are rare these days)

have fun with CHDK,

wim

« Reply #16 on: 26 / September / 2009, 14:16:00 »
Thanks Wim. Why would I want that card?  I figured it was old!  Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with raw CRW files to see them in Photoshop, Bridge, or wherever....

Offline whim

« Reply #17 on: 26 / September / 2009, 14:29:03 »
I meant, the 4 GB cards that are for sale now are all SDHC, the largest
non-SDHC are 2 GB these days. So you'll want to check if > 2 GB cards
are compatible with your cam before buying them.
For the CRW, check the RAW forum board, i rarely shoot RAW, and
when i do i use the save as DNG option, most programs can read those;
i use RawTherapee (freeware/donationware) to post-process.

cheers,

wim

« Reply #18 on: 26 / September / 2009, 14:58:28 »
Yeah, I tried the save as DNG option and it gave me an error, and a file directory listing, it was rather odd.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #19 on: 26 / September / 2009, 16:49:19 »
Yeah, I tried the save as DNG option and it gave me an error, and a file directory listing, it was rather odd.
Perhaps you should actually read the error message. You need to generate a badpixel.bin file before you can use dng. See http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Badpixel_removal
Don't forget what the H stands for.