SD1200 IS Porting Thread - page 11 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum  

SD1200 IS Porting Thread

• 312 Replies

Offline tillo

Re: SD1200 IS Porting Thread
« Reply #100 on: 26 / May / 2010, 16:28:32 »
Advertisements
Yes AirForceOne but I am not sure that's what I've read and everybody seems to be sure about this, but there's still a small possibility this camera just works in a different way, however it easy to think that it is simply not-possible because the aperture seems to be somehow attached to zooming (when zooming farther aperture is bigger ranging from 2.8 on 1x to 4.9 in 3x optical zoom), I will try to buy an adapter and some lenses for this camera when i have a chance and see the quality of the pictures so I could say if changing aperture manually on an adapted lens is useful or somehow worth the money. I have links to the amazon article if someone is interested on trying (I'm wishing to find more feedback about the adapter and lenses before trying it myself)
if someone has tried them before post what you think of it.

« Reply #101 on: 27 / May / 2010, 03:01:55 »
Oh, okay. How about the shutter? Can we override that?

Offline tillo

« Reply #102 on: 27 / May / 2010, 22:43:14 »
I have been able to override shutter speed trough scripts but the native capability of overriding that setting on CHDK is not working, as scripts work out fine for this I think we may leave that aside by now. I gess that means that in this camera (by now) CHDK can't override anything more than the capability of RAW picturing (at least not natively) as this overrides work under other cameras we would like to work on them too.

« Reply #103 on: 28 / May / 2010, 13:54:08 »
Yes AirForceOne but I am not sure that's what I've read and everybody seems to be sure about this, but there's still a small possibility this camera just works in a different way, however it easy to think that it is simply not-possible because the aperture seems to be somehow attached to zooming (when zooming farther aperture is bigger ranging from 2.8 on 1x to 4.9 in 3x optical zoom), I will try to buy an adapter and some lenses for this camera when i have a chance and see the quality of the pictures so I could say if changing aperture manually on an adapted lens is useful or somehow worth the money. I have links to the amazon article if someone is interested on trying (I'm wishing to find more feedback about the adapter and lenses before trying it myself)
if someone has tried them before post what you think of it.

Pretty sure the camera simply doesn't have an aperture diaphragm.  On the higher end cameras there are like 5 blades that adjust the aperture but this type doesn't have it and is wide open all the time.  Instead this type of camera has a ND filter which is electronically controlled and will pop in place when needed. It is like a pair of sunglasses which darkens the image to reduce the light to the sensor but will not give you any of the effects you get from closing the aperture (such as increased dof). 

The reason the aperture does change has to do with the way the lens behaves when you zoom.  So the F goes up as you zoom which is why I rarely use the zoom. More light = lower iso!

I don't know about those lens attachments, generally they seem frowned upon in the dSLR world for anything more than fun

Offline tillo

« Reply #104 on: 29 / May / 2010, 00:13:16 »
I didn't knew about the filter, however about the adapter I was mentioning I think it is cheap 17$ and a pretty big kit for 60$ (3 filters the adapter a tripod a bag and some other stuff) here is a link for the cheapest kit if you want to check out
http://www.amazon.com/Zeikos-Universal-Telephoto-Accessory-PowerShot/dp/B002USQTAK
the reason it haven't convinced me is because I cant find any feedback of it no owners have posted anything bot it looks really promising even more if I mod an attachment to make sure it becomes isolated from outside light, I'll keep looking for feedback tough.

Offline tillo

« Reply #105 on: 03 / June / 2010, 17:03:03 »
so guys, Have someone find anything about the usb remote we haven't discussed yet? anything may be helpful we just need to know a little more about it.

« Reply #106 on: 08 / June / 2010, 12:34:18 »
Since I got this camera recently, I am interested in making further progress in this port.

I have successfully compiled the code from this thread under latest chdk trunk (903). It appears to be working on camera, with the same functionality as the last version from this thread. The menu is little "narrow" but I believe it's only a matter of some parameter I missed.

I would like to merge this with the main trunk on https://tools.assembla.com/chdk/, but i don't know how to proceed about that, since I don't have any experience with SVN and online collaboration projects.

I think it would be much easier to debug code if we had it under the main trunk.

Any help is appreciated.

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #107 on: 09 / June / 2010, 01:17:04 »
Hello & welcome, Yossar !

I would like to merge this with the main trunk on https://tools.assembla.com/chdk/, but i don't know how to proceed about that, since I don't have any experience with SVN and online collaboration projects.

Post a diff file based on the latest trunk...also a list/table with running/tested/missing/broken features would be fine...

« Reply #108 on: 09 / June / 2010, 09:54:42 »
Apologies if off topic, but has anyone used the intervalometer script for long periods on battery. Wondering if, say, a 2-hour, 200 image capture is too much for the battery (no display of course). Tempted to make an AC supply myself as Canon's is almost as expensive as the camera. Info on the requirements for that would be much appreciated.
Keep up the good work!

« Reply #109 on: 09 / June / 2010, 17:49:21 »
I am attaching a diff file as requested. I made the file using CHDK/Shell. It seems that newly created files are not in the list, so i'm attaching the in-platform folder separately.

As for the list table with working/broken features, the one posted by AirForceOne seems to be accurate, so I will repost it.
The port is still far from complete, but with the scripts working it can be usable at least.

BUGS:
1) Flash - Freezes camera

Overrides:
1) Shooting in RAW, with RAW Average, RAW Sum, and RAW Develop features - WORKS
2) Shutter-priority (Tv) exposure - via shutter value override feature
3) Aperture-priority (Av) exposure - via aperture value override feature
4) Shutter, Aperture, and ISO Overrides
    - Aperture override - NOT POSSIBLE FOR THIS MODEL
    - Shutter override - DOES NOT WORK
5) Ultra-long shutter speeds - up to 64 seconds, and much longer on some cameras.
6) Ultra-fast shutter speeds - up to 1/10,000" and higher
7) Customizable high-speed continuous (burst) Shutter-based (Tv), aperture-based (Av) and ISO-based exposure bracketing (unlimited shots)
8 ) Focus bracketing (unlimited shots)
9) High-speed Flash Sync at all speeds up to 1/64,000 second (even faster in some cameras)
10) Focus Override - DOES NOT WORK

Scripting:
1) Scripts execution - including exposure bracketing, focus bracketing, intervalometer and more)
    - Script execution - WORKS
    - Script zoom - DOES NOT WORK
    - Script aperture - DOES NOT WORK
2) Motion-detection trigger - automatically fires camera on motion detection. (Fast enough to capture lightning strikes.)
3) USB cable remote shutter release - DOES NOT WORK

Interface improvements:
1) Custom user-editable visible Grids for framing, cropping, and alignment
2) Fully customizable CHDK display, info placement, user-colors, fonts in menus, etc.
3) Zebra mode (a live view of over and under-exposed areas of your picture)
    - Using zebra parameters - DOES NOT WORK
4) Battery indicator - WORKS
5) Live histogram (RGB, blended, luminance and for each RGB channel) - WORKS
6) RAW and Video space-remaining gauges with custom low-limit alerts
7) Custom CHDK user menu (for instant recall of up to 10 favorite functions)

Extra Video Features:
1) 99 constant bit-rate and 10 constant-quality video compression levels
2) Elimination of 1 Gig video-size limit
3) Zoom during video function (for cameras without this feature)

Apps and extras:
1) Depth-of-field (DOF)-calculator, Hyperfocal-calculator with instant Hyperfocal and Infinity focus-set, and more
2) File browser
3) Text reader
4) Calendar
5) Some fun tools and games - WORKS
6) Edge Overlay - DOES NOT WORK
7) CHDK Autoboot - DOES NOT WORK