CHDK PTP interface - page 112 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

CHDK PTP interface

• 1241 Replies

Offline reyalp

Re: CHDK PTP interface
« Reply #1110 on: 10 / September / 2014, 21:54:56 »
Advertisements
Thanks. Unless there's objection, I'll check in the above patch (limited to a3200, a490, a495 for now) in a few days.
OK with me.

A495 tests: L, M2 and S size.  Fine and Superfine quality.
FWIW, when testing it's probably a good idea to use a scene with a lot of detail.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #1111 on: 14 / September / 2014, 16:07:56 »
Thanks. Unless there's objection, I'll check in the above patch (limited to a3200, a490, a495 for now) in a few days.
OK with me.
Done: https://www.assembla.com/code/chdk/subversion/commit/3611

« Reply #1112 on: 26 / February / 2015, 15:46:24 »
Hello,

I have a setup where I use a Powershot S110 connected to an Odroid, controlled by the chdkptp code. I activate 'remoteshoot -cont'. I have two cameras. In one camera the 'remoteshoot -cont' works fine. In the other I can use the 'remoteshoot' command but when I try to use it in continuous mode (i.e. with the -cont option) the camera makes noise of shooting two images and then stops. No image is transferred to the Odroid. After half a minute the chdkptp throws the following error message:
ERROR: .../chdkptp/lua/chdku.lua:1339: timed out

Any clue why there would be a difference between the cameras?
I have got CHDK 1.3.0-4029 installed and the latest chdkptp version.

Thanks in advance,
Amit

Offline reyalp

« Reply #1113 on: 26 / February / 2015, 16:58:27 »
Hello,

I have a setup where I use a Powershot S110 connected to an Odroid, controlled by the chdkptp code. I activate 'remoteshoot -cont'. I have two cameras. In one camera the 'remoteshoot -cont' works fine. In the other I can use the 'remoteshoot' command but when I try to use it in continuous mode (i.e. with the -cont option) the camera makes noise of shooting two images and then stops. No image is transferred to the Odroid. After half a minute the chdkptp throws the following error message:
ERROR: .../chdkptp/lua/chdku.lua:1339: timed out

Any clue why there would be a difference between the cameras?
I have got CHDK 1.3.0-4029 installed and the latest chdkptp version.
Are you trying to use both cameras simultaneously, or does one camera always work and the other not?

If cameras of the same model behave differently, it is probably due to differences in CHDK settings, Canon settings, or the CHDK version.

What canon firmware versions are S110? If they are different, it's possible there is a bug in one CHDK port but not the other.

« Reply #1114 on: 26 / February / 2015, 22:16:39 »
Its hard to tell what firmware was on the working camera as it was completely destroyed in a drone crash yesterday :). STICK reports that the non working camera has firmware version 102b. Btw, the jpeg I used (for the determining  the firmware version) was taken while the camera had a CHDK card in it. Can this interfere with the firmware detection?
So now I have only one camera with firmware 102b and CHDK 1.3.0, where 'remoteshoot -cont' doesn't work ('remoteshoot' in non continuous mode works). What CHDK settings can interfere with the operation? And how can I debug this? For example can I change the firmware of the camera and test another port of CHDK?

Thanks,
Amit

Offline nafraf

« Reply #1115 on: 26 / February / 2015, 22:36:22 »
Its hard to tell what firmware was on the working camera as it was completely destroyed in a drone crash yesterday :).
If you have a photo taken with destroyed camera, it is possible to determine its fw version from exif data.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #1116 on: 26 / February / 2015, 22:50:05 »
Btw, the jpeg I used (for the determining  the firmware version) was taken while the camera had a CHDK card in it. Can this interfere with the firmware detection?
No, it won't interfere.

So now I have only one camera with firmware 102b and CHDK 1.3.0, where 'remoteshoot -cont' doesn't work ('remoteshoot' in non continuous mode works).
Out of curiosity, does remoteshoot -quick work?
What CHDK settings can interfere with the operation? And how can I debug this?
I don't know any off the top of my head, my suggestion was that if two identical cameras behave differently, compare the settings in both CHDK and the canon firmware.

If the card from the destroyed camera is still usable, you could copy the cfg files onto the card for the working camera to get identical CHDK settings.

For example can I change the firmware of the camera and test another port of CHDK?
No.

edit:
If you can get the version of the destroyed cam from an old picture as nafraf suggested, that would be helpful.
« Last Edit: 27 / February / 2015, 00:07:33 by reyalp »

« Reply #1117 on: 27 / February / 2015, 08:22:31 »
Thanks for the replies.

'remoteshoot -quick' has the same effect as 'remoteshoot -cont', i.e., the camera makes the sound of two shoots, the camera screen gets stuck on the histogram drawing (black background), about 15 seconds later I get a sign Busy and a second later the camera screen goes back to the 'Play' mode and I get the error I mentioned previously.

I tried the card from the destroyed camera (CHDK 1.4.0) and I get the same behavior.

I used STICK and an image from the destroyed camera to check its firmware: 102b, which is the same as the firmware of the buggy camera.

Regarding the settings of the destroyed camera. I don't remember its settings, but from what I remember the camera dial button was set on 'Tv' (or maybe 'Av'). This is strange as the chdkptp docs clearly state that the camera should be set to continuous mode, which is in the 'SCN' dial mode. Maybe this gives some clue?

Btw, the camera (the buggy one) works correctly in continuous mode (of the camera, not of chdkptp). I can grab several images very quickly into the SD card.

The cameras are used in a drone, due to that they might be subject to physical pressure, especially the usb plug. Can this be attributed to a hardware malfunction (possibly in the usb connection).

Thanks,
Amit
« Last Edit: 27 / February / 2015, 08:26:45 by amit »

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #1118 on: 27 / February / 2015, 15:03:17 »
Regarding the settings of the destroyed camera. I don't remember its settings, but from what I remember the camera dial button was set on 'Tv' (or maybe 'Av'). This is strange as the chdkptp docs clearly state that the camera should be set to continuous mode, which is in the 'SCN' dial mode. Maybe this gives some clue?
Yes, don't use that scene mode. There is a problem with the terminology, we use the word "mode" for many different things. What we call 'continuous mode' is actually available in many camera modes, including Av, Tv, M, P. The manual calls it "Continuous Shooting", press SET when the camera is in shooting mode and find it in the menu that appears.

« Reply #1119 on: 28 / February / 2015, 10:11:20 »
Thanks a lot, that solved the problem :-)

I have another question regarding a different model, the Powershot N. We are considering buying it also for the drone. I have posted a question on the 'Powershot N porting thread' but got no reply. Does anyone have experience with this camera? i.e. I need to know if it is possible, with 'chdkptp', to:
1) Control the focus (no manual focus in the camera)
2) Control the exposure (no manual mode in the camera)
3) Use it with 'remoteshoot -cont'

Thanks in advance,
Amit