16GB SDHC card, WIN XP cannot see photos in 2nd partition - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum

16GB SDHC card, WIN XP cannot see photos in 2nd partition

• 25 Replies
16GB SDHC card, WIN XP cannot see photos in 2nd partition
« on: 09 / October / 2009, 11:40:23 »
Advertisements
Hi, I love the program! Apart from the ability to shoot RAW, I think the most useful feature is the battery meter, wonder why the camera itself doesn't have one??? When I used CHDK on a regular SD card, it worked great and I could see my photos in Windows Explorer. But now that I am using an SDHC card (PNY Optima) with 2 primary partitions, I cannot see the photos in the second partition using either Windows Explorer (which sees both partitions but not the photos) or the Canon Camera Window utility (which sees only the first, small partition). I can see them fine in the camera and if I look at the card using Partition Magic, I see a couple of GB of data there, so I know the photos are there. How to solve this problem? I have looked at various posts online but have not been able to figure out how to do so. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!
 ???

Re: 16GB SDHC card, WIN XP cannot see photos in 2nd partition
« Reply #1 on: 09 / October / 2009, 13:52:49 »
I cannot see the photos in the second partition

Use sdminst.exe that is provided with SDM.

It is in http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/sdm/file/common_files.zip

It allows you to easily swap partitions.

David

« Reply #2 on: 09 / October / 2009, 15:55:18 »
Hi, thank you for your reply, I already tried that, and it didn't work. Next to "Select SD card drive" there is nothing in the drop-down menu and the rest of the program window is blank except for the heads. I tried it on both the computer on which I originally partitioned the SD card and another computer, and on neither one does it work. In other words, it sees neither the FAT partition, where CHDK is installed, nor the FAT32 partition, where the photos are. I also tried relettering the partitions in Partition Magic, but that didn't do anything either.
 :(
« Last Edit: 09 / October / 2009, 16:05:52 by A650ISuser »

« Reply #3 on: 09 / October / 2009, 16:26:16 »
I read on the Internet that Linux can see all partitions. Windows can see the partitions, it's just that the photos are not visible. If I were to install Linux on an extra laptop that I have, would I be able to access the photos that way? Would I actually need to install it, or could I use a live version on a USB flash drive?

« Reply #4 on: 09 / October / 2009, 16:32:17 »
Did you insert the card before running sdminst.exe ?

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
« Reply #5 on: 09 / October / 2009, 17:16:46 »
Windows can see the partitions

normally Windows will only see 1 of 2 or more partitions on any removable disk;  with a special driver you can change that behaviour, but that has the bad habit of making all your removable devices show up as fixed disks (read: no more plug & play)
so, most (or so it seems to me  ;)) people prefer to use either the CHDK built-in 'swap partitions' (Misc. stuff) or sdminst.exe ...

just my 2c,

wim

« Last Edit: 09 / October / 2009, 17:18:54 by whim »

« Reply #6 on: 09 / October / 2009, 17:17:20 »
Yes, I did. I tried several times, but nothing.

« Reply #7 on: 09 / October / 2009, 17:18:38 »
whim, thank you. Do you mean I should do something with the "swap partitions" while the SD card is in the camera, before I remove it and try to read it in Windows XP?

« Reply #8 on: 09 / October / 2009, 17:20:33 »
Actually, the two partitions do show up as fixed drives. I can see some CHDK folders in the second (FAT32) partition, but not a DCIM folder. If I use a card reader that has not been registered on the computer it shows only the first partition.

« Reply #9 on: 09 / October / 2009, 17:34:43 »
Do you mean I should do something with the "swap partitions" while the SD card is in the camera

Yes, it is a menu option.

I do not use CHDK so cannot remember where it is.