I Installed CHDK on my D630 and now its dead - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum

I Installed CHDK on my D630 and now its dead

• 5 Replies
I Installed CHDK on my D630 and now its dead
« on: 10 / October / 2009, 00:48:33 »
Advertisements
I installed CHDK on my D630 using CardTricks v1.44, selecting "make bootable" option...  When I tried to start the camera with the disk, nothing happened.  I had previously done the Ver.req file trick and it gave me the firmware number, but after installing the rest of the software on the card, it simply refused to power up. 

It no longer works with any card.  I've tested the batteries on my 780 and they are fine...

any ideas what happened?  the camera is completely unresponsive now.

Offline reyalp

Re: I Installed CHDK on my D630 and now its dead
« Reply #1 on: 10 / October / 2009, 01:06:01 »
Do you mean SD630 ? Or A630 ?

Which exact firmware CHDK version did you use ?

What firmware version was reported with vers.req

CHDK will only autostart if the card is locked. If the card is unlocked, your camera should boot normally.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 10 / October / 2009, 02:02:12 »
It is an SD630.  I mistakenly used the A630 software the first time around.  I reformatted the disk, installed ixus65_sd630-100a-0.9.8-813-full.zip and tried it in the camera again.  No luck.

Not sure what firmware was reported when I did the vers.req file trick, but I think I recall GM1.00 or something like that... I never updated the firmware after I bought it.

The camera is simply dead... nothing I do will bring up a screen: different cards from other working cameras, different batteries, no card at all.  Different batteries that work on other cameras.... simply no response at all.

Do you think it might be the battery cover switch is acting up?  that the camera doesn't think the cover is closed?  If so, any ideas how to overide that switch?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 10 / October / 2009, 02:14:01 »
Do you think it might be the battery cover switch is acting up?  that the camera doesn't think the cover is closed?
That seems very likely. The camera should start with no card at all BTW (of course, you can't take pictures, but will boot up and say "no memory card" or something like that). It is very unlikely that CHDK would do this to your camera.
 If so, any ideas how to overide that switch?
Try to find the switch and see what you can see. Maybe it's stuck and you can jiggle it loose or something.

edit:
also take a look at the battery contacts.
« Last Edit: 10 / October / 2009, 02:16:17 by reyalp »
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #4 on: 10 / October / 2009, 02:40:49 »
thanks for your assistance... it was the battery contacts... I blew some cleaning propellant into the battery case, and then the camera woke up OK with the new software...

Wow... I can see some sleepless nights coming now as I play with my new toy.  I am thinking of setting up a camera (or several) at a local nature center to take a 100 year timelapse movie of the ecosystem around the center.  I'm wondering if anyone has used the Eye Fi card http://www.eye.fi/ to download the camera directly to a server?

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #5 on: 10 / October / 2009, 06:34:51 »
I am thinking of setting up a camera (or several) at a local nature center to take a 100 year timelapse movie of the ecosystem around the center.
:lol

I'm wondering if anyone has used the Eye Fi card http://www.eye.fi/ to download the camera directly to a server?
Use the forum's search function, look for   eye-fi ...