the sx20 porting thread - page 60 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

the sx20 porting thread

• 1286 Replies

Offline SkyWalker9

• SX20 IS (fw 1.02b)
Re: the sx20 porting thread
« Reply #590 on: 12 / May / 2010, 16:59:38 »
Advertisements
Skywalker, thanks for the installation tutorial.  It seems very comprehensive.

One question.  I installed to an 8Gb Sandisk SD card.  Contrary to point 21, I found that I had to install the CHDK folder to the larger partition.  The camera only looked there for scripts, grids, etc.

Did I do something wrong?

Thanks

I'm not quite clear what your question is, but I'll try to cover what I think you wanted to know.

"Contrary to point 21, I found that I had to install the CHDK folder to the larger partition." Actually, that is the partition that I recommended. If you copied the CHDK folder during step 21, then you actually copied it to the larger partition and that is the one I use & recommend.

"The camera only looked there for scripts, grids, etc." From what I understand of how the camera is operating, I suspect that it will find what it needs in either partition. The only exception that I'm aware of is the DISKBOOT.BIN file and that needs to be in the bootable partition (in our case the smaller partition).

"Did I do something wrong?" From what I read, you put the CHDK folder on the larger partition, so you did what I'd recommend. Now if your CHDK isn't working, then I'd check one of the following:
 - Make sure your SD card is locked to use it in the camera
 - Be sure that the smaller, bootable partition is the active partition. You can check this with the SDM Installer. When you put the card in your reader the first field of SDM Installer should state that it's (FAT12) (Bootable card!!!). That's what you want it to be for CHDK to autoboot on start up.

If I didn't answer what you were asking about, please let me know. I'll be out of town until Sunday evening, so if you need help before then just leave a reply and hopefully someone can answer your question.
« Last Edit: 13 / May / 2010, 01:15:37 by SkyWalker9 »

Offline henkg

« Reply #591 on: 13 / May / 2010, 07:20:52 »
Do I need a PS.FI2 file?
What I want:
-   Use a FAT32 SDHC card (16 Gb) (use one card for images and movies)
-   Copy images using the USB camera <-> PC connection (I do not want to remove the SD card every time, and swap partitions)
-   Decide between standard FW and CHDK FW on camera startup

The first requirement implies two partitions
The second requirement implies one partition
The third requirement implies the need of one partition and a PS.FI2 file

Is this argumentation correct?
And, if it is, how do I obtain a PS.FI2 file for my SX20 1.02B?
(I tried the SX10 version, but that didn't work of course...)
« Last Edit: 13 / May / 2010, 07:23:46 by henkg »

« Reply #592 on: 13 / May / 2010, 09:54:20 »

There is the software I used to blink out the fw 1.02B :
http://www.mediafire.com/?mczlmm3ntyr
I changed the speed to 4800 bps as the response time of my hw was too slow for 9600 bps.
I used the firmware update method, see http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,4188.msg43701.html#msg43701
The dump shall after be processed with a.exe not dec.exe (file in the decode folder).

Good luck . . .

Ok, I harvested a phototransistor from an old ms-mouse, built the interface with that, hooked it up and recorded part of it.  I don't have an ocilloscope.  After experimenting with which leads to use (the part is not marked in any way), I got the attached waveform recorded in a wave editor.  I'd like to determine a couple of things before I let it run for hours since I don't know if this is a 'light' phototransistor or an 'IR' phototransistor.  I used the ps.fi2 that xavan posted unmodified, so it is running at 4800 bps.

1. Does this waveform look like it should?  It sounds pretty cool....

2. About how long should the whole dump take?  Will a set of fresh AA last long enough, or do I need to set up an external power source?

Thanks again for all the handholding!
« Last Edit: 13 / May / 2010, 10:23:01 by rseery »

Offline xavan

« Reply #593 on: 13 / May / 2010, 12:32:49 »
Firmware dump
It takes close to 140 minutes et 4800 bps to blink out the fw. Fully charged NiMH AA batteries were OK to power the camera during the process. The signal should be square and I used an oscilloscope to adjust the threshold.
The unprocessed dump should also start with a series of "0123456789".

« Reply #594 on: 13 / May / 2010, 14:33:17 »
Firmware dump
It takes close to 140 minutes et 4800 bps to blink out the fw. Fully charged NiMH AA batteries were OK to power the camera during the process. The signal should be square and I used an oscilloscope to adjust the threshold.
The unprocessed dump should also start with a series of "0123456789".

I'm sorry to be such a pesty newbie...

I'm trying to determine if I have a suitable phototransistor, and if what I am recording can be used.

I make a recording with WAV recorder software, and save it as a WAV file.  I can listen to that file and I can 'hear' it putting out 123456789 for a while before it switches to dumping the fw.

I let that recording go for a minute.  I want to process that much to see if it is capturing the data properly.

I think I need to run adc on the wav file to convert it so I can run it through the a.exe program.  But, the adc program just throws up a windows error box.  Perhaps I am calling it incorrectly.  I can find no indication of how to use these programs.  Can someone walk me through the steps?

Offline SkyWalker9

• SX20 IS (fw 1.02b)
« Reply #595 on: 14 / May / 2010, 12:40:26 »
Do I need a PS.FI2 file?
What I want:
-   Copy images using the USB camera <-> PC connection (I do not want to remove the SD card every time, and swap partitions)

Is this argumentation correct?

Correct, when using CHDK with a 16G card.

Not necessarily. You can import movies and JPGs and copy with Windows in a cardreader when using two partitions. After autoboot, the larger partition becomes the active partition, so USB transfers work fine normally (same as single partition). I say normally because there appears to be a 'bug' when enabling the 'place raw in same file with JPGs'. When this option is selected the contents of the folders created are not visible through USB or Windows when using two partitions (I haven't checked this on a single partition yet). If this option is enabled you cannot import via USB or view with Windows when using two partitions. Only the SDM Installer will work in this case.

Photo formats other than JPGs and movies are not recognized by USB yet (per forum comments), so they can only be done via the SDM Installer.

Partially Correct. Without some kind of third party application, the only way I know how you could manually control the CHDK boot process is with the firmware update method. The firmware update method requires a file like PS.FI2. Diskboot.bin and PS.FI2 both contain the CHDK code as well as specify how the boot process will take place. The PS.FI2 file probably won't be available until after folks are confortable that most of the bugs have been worked out of the autoboot process first. Each PS.FI2 file is tailored to the model of camera and firmware it's running.

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: 14 / May / 2010, 18:44:13 by SkyWalker9 »

« Reply #596 on: 16 / May / 2010, 07:27:54 »
New build for 102b

This build should fix the last two bugs I know about:
* Zebra crashing
* Edge crashing

It comes at a price, I've had to remove the games from this build in order to save RAM. I think its a small price to pay though.

I'll give it a week or so and so long as no one has any massive problems I'll make a patch and get this code added to the auto build server. The SX20 102b will then be supported!

Some stuff will need to be changed for the 100f build to be added to the autobuild server, but its fairly trivial (the compile time errors will give it away)

As always the full package is available here:

http://bitbucket.org/acid2000/chdk_sx20/downloads

« Reply #597 on: 16 / May / 2010, 09:03:20 »
It comes at a price, I've had to remove the games from this build in order to save RAM. I think its a small price to pay though.

I would say to the CHDK 'developers' (whoever they are), why not just remove all support for games ?

I cannot believe many photographers want to use-up their batteries with such features.

« Reply #598 on: 16 / May / 2010, 09:18:54 »
I agree, in the case of the SX20 it's a massive waste of space. Easily solved by a few undef's though.

Offline whoever

• IXUS950
« Reply #599 on: 16 / May / 2010, 10:38:50 »
I would say to the CHDK 'developers' (whoever they are), why not just remove all support for games ?
I cannot believe many photographers want to use-up their batteries with such features.

How about, say, cell phones and alike? They play music, games, video, take photos & video, calculate your tax return, etc., etc. If you ask me, the current models only lack electronic backscratchers. Not sure if they are still capable of making phone calls...

In my obviously biased opinion, their developers, whoever they are, should just dump this rubbish.

And you know what? It's just this rubbish that makes these products ever more profitable. It must be in the nature of us humans that makes this happen.