the sx20 porting thread - page 100 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum  

the sx20 porting thread

• 1279 Replies

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
Re: the sx20 porting thread
« Reply #990 on: 01 / December / 2010, 20:43:59 »
Advertisements
@kardan

Check the thread here, it will be helpfull

wim

« Reply #991 on: 01 / December / 2010, 23:02:36 »
Thanks. There is a lot to learn and consume for me there. I am one of those MAC guys in addition, so it is some challenge as I understand...

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #992 on: 02 / December / 2010, 01:15:49 »
I did encounter a problem though: I cannot record video's anymore when I activate CHDK. Recording stops after about one second.
Pls. check your settings in the CHDK "Video parameters" menu, maybe the "Video Quality" setting is to high for your camera/SD card - try a lower value.
Do you see a red ! on the Canon OSD before the recording stops ?

Offline ultimA

« Reply #993 on: 02 / December / 2010, 01:45:00 »
I did encounter a problem though: I cannot record video's anymore when I activate CHDK. Recording stops after about one second. Is this a known issue?

I use the video capabilities of my SX20 often and extensively. The video functionality works fine with CHDK. As fe50 suggested, check the video parameters. If lowering the video quality helps but you are not satisfied with it anymore, you need to get a faster memory card.

« Reply #994 on: 02 / December / 2010, 16:10:44 »
ultimA and fe50, thanks! I'll repartition my SD-card and try again. I tested my SD-card from Ubuntu, and I can write 10MB/s and read 16MB/s. Anybody got any idea about the speeds required for video?

[update]
Ok, I've got CHDK back installed again. When I start recording a video, I very shortly (less than half a second) see what looks like 5 squares on top of each other, a little right of the center of the screen. The bottom 3 are red, the top 2 dark gray. I also see a recording speed, like 1.500kbps. When filming a dull object like a white wall, it records at only 600kbps, for about 3 seconds. The longest I managed to shoot was 8 seconds or 34 MB, that's only about 4.5MB per second. And video quality seems to be the same as with the default firmware (1280x720x30fps)

[update 2]
Ok, using the CHDK menu to reduce video quality to 'normal' I can record video's as long as I want. Thanks for the input, it seems my SD card is indeed to slow for 'quality' video.
« Last Edit: 02 / December / 2010, 16:49:08 by jvdvegt »

Offline SkyWalker9

• SX20 IS (fw 1.02b)
« Reply #995 on: 03 / December / 2010, 10:08:24 »
ultimA and fe50, thanks! I'll repartition my SD-card and try again. I tested my SD-card from Ubuntu, and I can write 10MB/s and read 16MB/s. Anybody got any idea about the speeds required for video?
From what I've read elsewhere, you should use at least a class 4 SDHC card to get quality videos on the SX20.

I ran a test a while ago with my SX20 using various classes of SDHC cards. Although I didn't include video in the test, it should give you an idea of which class of card you might want to try with video. Here is a link to the posting:
http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=5665.0

PS. Be sure to test with more than one card to make sure your problem isn't caused by fragmentation. After a lot of use, the cards do need to be reformattted to regain their "fresh-format" capture speed. If you are using larger partitioned cards this probably won't be as much of an issue to worry about.

*** Update ***
Here is another link that may be of help: http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/articles/digital-camera-memory-cards-finding-the-right-card
« Last Edit: 03 / December / 2010, 10:21:15 by SkyWalker9 »

« Reply #996 on: 08 / December / 2010, 14:55:31 »
I also use video mode almost exclusively... I've found that with my Kingston 4GB Class 4 card, I can get the quality level up to 47 before I start getting buffer bars... And occasionally with objects with a higher range of colors, etc, I have to lower that quality, sometimes down to 40. But truthfully, there's not really too much quality difference in that range, and only a little bit of file size difference in the long run.

Also.. I have a question. Just wondering if it would be possible to enable the full speed zoom mode in video, either by script or by modifying the CHDK build somehow... And I'm not worried about the noise from the zoom. I would assume it's similar to how zoom-in-video was enabled for my SD770, but I really have no clue. I tire of waiting for the lens to just get out there from 0% to 100% when I want it to, haha. So, is this possible, or am I pretty much out of luck?
Canon SD770IS GM1.00A
Canon SX20IS GM1.02B
Canon SX230HS GM1.00C (RIP :()
Canon SX130IS GM1.00B

« Reply #997 on: 11 / December / 2010, 15:38:08 »
I guys... i just install 102d version of autobuild server... I noticed that camera get turned off sometimes...

It turns off too when chdk is initializing and I half-press the shutter button...

Is somebody having the same problems?

thanks a lot

« Reply #998 on: 11 / December / 2010, 22:51:55 »
I guys... i just install 102d version of autobuild server... I noticed that camera get turned off sometimes...

It turns off too when chdk is initializing and I half-press the shutter button...

Is somebody having the same problems?

thanks a lot

I have noticed this little glitch as well using .1001 version....not always..once in a while....but annoying.

Hope someone can help :)
sx20is 1.02d

Offline t50

« Reply #999 on: 13 / December / 2010, 20:33:46 »
Hi all, I'm newbie.

My new Canon SX20is very fast to response when shooting outdoor or no flash, but it's very slow to response when shooting with the flash on.

If I set the flash on, when I point to the subject and haft press... it's very hard to focus the subject, in other words, the camera does nothing/no response. Hence, when i full press, the camera is not responding at all... The first shoot may be easy, but after that.. it's too hard to point and shoot any object with the flash on. If I close the flash.. the camera response very quickly... but as a result.. no flash can be fired.
I have tried with P, AV or TV and event with M modes, but no help.
My old Canon A610 can event shoot faster than this SX20is with the flash on.

Have I done something wrong? What setting should I do to shoot faster with flash?

I have already installed CHDK, but it no help.

Any one have any ideas about this problem?

Thanks in advance.

T50.