the sx20 porting thread - page 50 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

the sx20 porting thread

• 1286 Replies
Re: the sx20 porting thread
« Reply #490 on: 21 / April / 2010, 04:22:15 »
Advertisements
WHY!!! Ahhhh im not a software developer

Because porting CHDK is non trivial and infact quite hard, even for an experience programmer. You need to be able to understand the output of a dissasembler which many people just cannot do. In addition CHDK is written in a computer language that most new software developers are not taught. All of this is compounded by the fact that testing it up to a point is performed by blinking an LED, a slow and tedious process.

Any person with the skills, or who wants to try aquiring them really should have your model of camera, otherwise everything has to be done blind. At the moment not many people do. All this is compounded further when you think that no one is paid to do this.

Look at how long it has taken to get this far with the SX20:
100f - October - December last year
102b - April
100c - ?

Your not the only one who has been in this position, in another thread some members were trying to buy a camera for some so that they could port it. The good news is that the work that is done on the SX20 means that other SX20 revisions become easier to port - a lot easier.

I hope all this answers your question.
« Last Edit: 21 / April / 2010, 04:26:13 by acid2000 »

« Reply #491 on: 21 / April / 2010, 09:32:50 »
Lectrichead,

Try deleting all the files on the card apart from DISKBOOT.

If it still doesn't work can you tell me if any folders do actually get created?
Have you tried a different memory card, I have one card that CHDK just doesn't seem to boot of - in any camera.

No luck - tried a different card, tried deleting all files off the card except DISKBOOT.

I will get back to you on the folders created (and also I have to try the other tip suggested - taking the batts out).

« Reply #492 on: 21 / April / 2010, 10:52:55 »
******** CAPTURING DNG IN CAMERA ***********
ok, just follow these steps,
1- take one raw image with camera and export it to a folder

2- Download show_bad_b.exe from the link and copy it to above folder:
http://chdk.wikia.com/index.php?title=Special:Outbound&f=Badpixel_removal&u=http%3A%2F%2Fewavr.nm.ru%2Fchdk%2Fshow_bad_b.zip

(you can give some information about this in the forum, http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Badpixel_removal#Links)

3-in command line type this string, with the name of raw file in step 1:
show_bad_b.exe <CHDK_RAW_FILE_NAME>

4- in same folder after this process you can find the file :   badpixel.bin

5- copy it to CHDK folder inside the  memory card

6- now you can adjust the DNG format in chdk menu and take DNG photos   :)
I downloaded this and extracted to same folder as my RAW image, but the prompt window opens and closes immediately. Don't get a chance to do anything...

« Reply #493 on: 21 / April / 2010, 12:12:35 »
I downloaded this and extracted to same folder as my RAW image, but the prompt window opens and closes immediately. Don't get a chance to do anything...

Try this: Start - Run - Cmd
Now you should have a (black) window to work in. If you try the command here you can see any messages that may turn up.

« Reply #494 on: 21 / April / 2010, 17:15:46 »
Can anyone with the 100f tell me if you can see the script console output -- see this image for example:

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/File:Work_of_script.jpg

For those in the know you don't need LUA support for this, you can use the DEFAULT.BAS file.
« Last Edit: 21 / April / 2010, 17:19:34 by acid2000 »

« Reply #495 on: 21 / April / 2010, 19:54:31 »

Try this: Start - Run - Cmd
Now you should have a (black) window to work in. If you try the command here you can see any messages that may turn up.
Thanks..that got it. Had to remember how to do change directory in cmd...getting old..lol
All set now :)
Going to compare superfine with RAW and see what the diff is.

« Reply #496 on: 22 / April / 2010, 08:16:36 »
Lectrichead,

Try deleting all the files on the card apart from DISKBOOT.

If it still doesn't work can you tell me if any folders do actually get created?
Have you tried a different memory card, I have one card that CHDK just doesn't seem to boot of - in any camera.

Wiped the card, tried from scratch with just DISKBOOT and making it bootable and switching on write protect tab.  Still no luck (stuck on the CHDK screen - just the text with a red box behind it, no logo graphic).

Tried a different card, same.

Switching the write protect tab just returns the camera to normal.

The folders it creates have no files in any of them.  They are; BOOKS, DATA, EDGE, FONTS, GRIDS, LANG, LOGS, SCRIPTS, SYMBOLS.

« Reply #497 on: 22 / April / 2010, 10:19:59 »
Well it's started the main task then which is good.

Try resetting your camera to factory defaults. My guess is that its reading a value that it expects to be within a certain range and its not.

« Reply #498 on: 22 / April / 2010, 14:39:09 »
Lectrichead,
When you get the red box with the text in it, did you press your shutter button halfway. I see the same thing until I press the button, then normal screen appears with new stuff like battery charge status, etc.

« Reply #499 on: 22 / April / 2010, 15:41:33 »
Lectrichead,
When you get the red box with the text in it, did you press your shutter button halfway. I see the same thing until I press the button, then normal screen appears with new stuff like battery charge status, etc.

Ah, there we go.  Yea, that does it, thanks!

I hope that the "shutter button halfway" after it's powered on is something that can be changed so it doesn't have to do that, at some point? 

The OSD menu seems to stay on the screen when I bring it up, unless I mes around with a few of the settings that seems to update the screen.

Now to try all of the other functions.   Great job so far guys.