the sx20 porting thread - page 64 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum  

the sx20 porting thread

• 1279 Replies
Re: the sx20 porting thread
« Reply #630 on: 26 / May / 2010, 07:49:06 »
Advertisements
Has a 1.02C beta been created? Ive been watching this thread for sometime.

Not that I know of.  I recently was able to dump the f/w for 1.02c and post a link ( http://drop.io/sx20_102d/asset/primary-sx20-1-02d-bin ) on the page for the SX20.  I (and many others) am waiting and hoping that a developer will go to work on it soon.  

Unfortunately  ;) , at about the same time, other users used the same procedure I did and were able to dump the f/w for 1.02d.  I say unfortunately because this adds another porting job and we still don't have anyone working on the port for 1.02c.  Perhaps others waiting for a 1.02c port can speak up and possibly convince a developer to go for it.  Nothing against those with 1.02d, of course!!  It's just that I think that more users would be served by a port for 1.02c than 1.02d.  (And of course that includes myself!)  But right now, no one is working on either.  If I had a copy of IDA that supported ARM, I'd try to learn to do it myself, but I don't and that stops me at step 1.  So I am forced to wait, and contemplate bribery......
« Last Edit: 26 / May / 2010, 19:18:55 by rseery »

Offline SkyWalker9

• SX20 IS (fw 1.02b)
« Reply #631 on: 27 / May / 2010, 15:08:00 »
How do I do a 5 step eposure bracketing? Noob but please help or poin in a right direction.
Normally, Canon only does 3 exposure shots when bracketing. The nice thing about CHDK is that you can now expand that range (as long as you don't exceed the specs of CHDK & the SX 20 IS). Here's the method I use:

- Set your camera to Manual mode
 - Press Func Set and navigate down and set Continous Shooting mode
 - Go into CHDK
      - Disable RAW
      - Go to the Extra Photo Operations menu
           - Set Disable Overrides (Disable)
           - Go down to Bracketing in Continous
               - Set Tv Bracketing Val (...) to the amount you'd like
               - Set Bracket Type (...)   +/- seems to work the best for me
               - Set Clear Bracket Values on Start (...)    your choice
 - Exit CHDK
 - Adjust your camera until you have the best starting point by adjusting ISO & aperture
 - Press the shutter half way to check your focus
 - Press and hold the shutter button fully and the camera will continue to take photos until you release the shutter button - just count the number you want ( five in your case)

Tip: Recommend using a tripod for this sequence (depending on how high the Ev is set)

« Reply #632 on: 27 / May / 2010, 16:57:53 »
@ACID2000 mentioned he/she would attempt to port a version for the 1.02d FW if a dump could be provided

I'm a he.

I'll look into porting other cameras when I've got some free time. I think I deserve a rest at the moment.

Offline f_m_b

« Reply #633 on: 27 / May / 2010, 17:43:24 »
Hello everybody

my camera uses the firmware 1.02b and so i am one of the lucky people :D who can use the CHDK Beta 1.02b with a 8GB card and two partitions.

:)  Thank you ACID2000 and all others who helped for the realy great CHDK Beta 1.02b.  :)

This is the first time i use CDHK and so i studied the "User Quick Start Guide V.1.8.0".
Great features.

Theire are only a view points i miss or don't know how to handle:

1) Normaly i use Windows and so its realy annoying to swap always the partitions and lock/unlock the card. I checked with linux (ubuntu), this works realy nice because you have access to both partitions whithout swapping.

By reading the manual i found two solutions for this (Windows) problem:
a) transfer the pictures over USB
b) using the swap mechanism of the camera itself

->a) works fine with jpg, but i can't transfer dng.
In the manual on page 46 are a menupoint "DNG visible via USB" but i can't find it in the beta version. Not implemented yet?
In RAW-options are the possibility for renaming CRW or SND Files to a transferable format (for example jpg). But i have no program which could read this format.

->b) Swap the partition in the camera and read the card in the computer. That's ok.
Put the card back into the camera (active partition is win32 and has no autoboot). Start the CHDK manualy and swap back the partition.
How could i start CHDK manualy? Do i need a PS.FIR file? How can i get this file?

2) For reading dng y use "RAW-Therapee" and "UF-Raw".
About 50% of my dng-files are not readable with this programs.
Is this a problem of written dng or the two programs i use?
For "Bad pixel removal" i use RAWconv and no "RAW buffer cached"... OK?

3) I have reboots with the camera. Reboots means: The camera is not operable, after a timeout i hear a "klick" and the camera reboots and starts up again. Most i have this problem when pressed half shutter. Is this a known error? Or a configuration problem (i have changed a lot of options ;) )?
Is there a way to write crash-dumps?

4) Feature "auto DR" (page 20) is not implemented yet. Because the 12bit Sensor? SX20 has a 12bit Sensor?

5) "Use zoom buttons for MF" (page 43) is not implemented yet.

6) With activated MF and then pressed <ALT> the cursor-buttons and zoom have no function (page 6).

Next i will try IR-remote handling and some of the posted scripts by SkyWalker9.

Bye, Frank

I hope you understand my poor english. Sorry.  :(
Greetings Frank
SX20 (1.02b)

Offline SkyWalker9

• SX20 IS (fw 1.02b)
« Reply #634 on: 27 / May / 2010, 18:57:29 »
@ACID2000 mentioned he/she would attempt to port a version for the 1.02d FW if a dump could be provided

I'm a he.

I'll look into porting other cameras when I've got some free time. I think I deserve a rest at the moment.

Amen on the rest! All of us with the 1.02b appreciate all of the work & time you had to put in!

Hopefully, someone that has a camera with the other FW can step up and take the lead for their FW porting. Since you were one of the FIRST to port a FW for the SX 20 IS, I would expect other's with different FW's could use your results when porting their FW - they'd have a working example to compare for similarities. Should be easier than you had it.

Thanks again @ACID2000 !!!
« Last Edit: 27 / May / 2010, 22:54:34 by SkyWalker9 »

Offline SkyWalker9

• SX20 IS (fw 1.02b)
« Reply #635 on: 27 / May / 2010, 22:30:03 »
« Last Edit: 27 / May / 2010, 22:34:56 by SkyWalker9 »

« Reply #636 on: 28 / May / 2010, 03:25:48 »
Since you were one of the FIRST to port a FW for the SX 20 IS

whoa, sadly not. Check the start of this thread. I used the existing 100f beta, ported it and fixed it's bugs. FYI my plan for the sx20 is this:

*get the 102b supported and in the auto build server. This will cut down a lot of work I do for each new chdk revision
*examine the 100f port and see how difficult it is to make it supported
*work on other cameras

« Reply #637 on: 28 / May / 2010, 06:44:04 »
Since you were one of the FIRST to port a FW for the SX 20 IS

whoa, sadly not. Check the start of this thread. I used the existing 100f beta, ported it and fixed it's bugs. FYI my plan for the sx20 is this:

*get the 102b supported and in the auto build server. This will cut down a lot of work I do for each new chdk revision
*examine the 100f port and see how difficult it is to make it supported
*work on other cameras

Does the 100f port supports RAW ? sorry I'm a total noob ;$ and the SX20 is my first camera ;$

« Reply #638 on: 28 / May / 2010, 10:31:04 »
When I run the script to create badpixel.bin, shouldn't I have 0 bad pixel count?
I got some number above 3000, and although the test pictures the script took had some overexposed bits, I definitely don't have any physically bad pixels.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #639 on: 28 / May / 2010, 20:34:30 »
When I run the script to create badpixel.bin, shouldn't I have 0 bad pixel count?
I got some number above 3000,
That's low, if anything. Any multi-megapixel consumer sensor will have bad pixels. Typical numbers for all CHDK supported cameras are in the thousands (or maybe 10s of thousands for some)
and although the test pictures the script took had some overexposed bits, I definitely don't have any physically bad pixels.
You won't see them in the jpeg, because Canon interpolates over them (and the debayer/jpeg process would hide them pretty well anyway). The badpixel.lua script is used to capture the pixels canon knew were bad from the factory.
Don't forget what the H stands for.