the sx20 porting thread - page 69 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum  

the sx20 porting thread

• 1286 Replies

Offline SkyWalker9

• SX20 IS (fw 1.02b)
Re: the sx20 porting thread
« Reply #680 on: 11 / June / 2010, 23:35:29 »
Advertisements
I have one issue that is not really that important, but confuses me.
All the photographs that are taken vertically are upside down when I open them in image processing program later. Horizontal pictures are ok.
Does the same thing happen when using a SD card that hasn't been setup for CHDK? If so, then it wouldn't be a CHDK issue. Which direction do you rotate your camera to take your vertical shots, 90 degress clockwise or 90 degrees counterclockwise? I have a friend who use to shoot his vertical shots on a tripod rotated clockwise 90 degrees (which resulted in "upside down" photos when displayed on his computer).

Assuming you rotate your camera counterclockwise and the problem happens with only a CHDK SD card, then what image processing program do you use and which platform (Photoshop CS3, Windows, etc.)
« Last Edit: 11 / June / 2010, 23:39:43 by SkyWalker9 »

« Reply #681 on: 12 / June / 2010, 05:28:33 »
This only happens with CHDK SD card, and I didn't really pay that much attention which way I rotated the camera. I'll try both orientations when I take some pictures next time.
I used Photoshop CS5 and ACDSee Pro 3 under Windows. Both RAW and JPG pictures are upside down.

Offline SkyWalker9

• SX20 IS (fw 1.02b)
« Reply #682 on: 12 / June / 2010, 14:58:11 »
This only happens with CHDK SD card, and I didn't really pay that much attention which way I rotated the camera. I'll try both orientations when I take some pictures next time.
I used Photoshop CS5 and ACDSee Pro 3 under Windows. Both RAW and JPG pictures are upside down.
I just ran a test using a CHDK SD card and a non-CHDK SD card and got the following results:

1. CHDK SD card: Depending on which direction you rotate the camera determines if the photo will be right side up or upside down.
     2. non-CHDK SD card: You can rotate the camera either direction and both will be right side up.

So CHDK appears to be directionally sensitive to vertical shots - at least currently on SX20IS cameras. I never tried verticals rotated clockwise on my SX20IS before this, so this was a surprise to me. In this case CHDK acts like a normal film camera when taking vertical shots.

Out of curiosity I checked the horizontals taking photos right side up and up side down. Both CHDK SD cards and non-CHDK SD cards took photos like a film camera - the right side up photos displayed right side up and the up side down photos displayed up side down.

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #683 on: 12 / June / 2010, 15:43:40 »
@SkyWalker9
What's in the EXIF data of the images ?
Normally the images are always stored in one / the same direction, the rotation info is only written to the EXIF meta data; the camera shows the image based on this data and the setting from the Canon menu.

Most imaging applications does it the same way, they rotate the image based to the EXIF data; e.g. the Canon software (ZoomBrowser) works this way.

Could you compare the EXIF data from two images, with CHDK & Canon-only ?
If you remove the EXIF data, how do the apps show the images ?

« Reply #684 on: 12 / June / 2010, 16:45:55 »
Please, is somebody working also on CHDK for FW 1.00F? Or is somebody planning? Neszt did something, but it needs some modifications...
Or is there any way to change (upgrade) FW in camera?
Thanks in advance

Offline SkyWalker9

• SX20 IS (fw 1.02b)
« Reply #685 on: 12 / June / 2010, 17:24:41 »
@SkyWalker9
What's in the EXIF data of the images ?
Normally the images are always stored in one / the same direction, the rotation info is only written to the EXIF meta data; the camera shows the image based on this data and the setting from the Canon menu.

Most imaging applications does it the same way, they rotate the image based to the EXIF data; e.g. the Canon software (ZoomBrowser) works this way.

Could you compare the EXIF data from two images, with CHDK & Canon-only ?
If you remove the EXIF data, how do the apps show the images ?
@fe50
The EXIF Orientation is the trigger for the viewing software being used. IrFanView indicates the EXIF Orientation is Left Bottom or Right Top and ExifPro indicates the EXIF Orientation is 90 degrees CW and 90 degrees CCW respectively on the CHDK photos.

I also checked the photos on the following viewers: Canon on-camera viewer, Picasa v3, ACDSee Pro v3, IrFanView, ExifPro and the Windows Photo Gallery. All but the Windows Photo Gallery displayed the non-CHDK and CHDK SD card photos as mentioned in the previous posting. The Windows Photo Gallery displayed the photos as all horizontal with the 90 degree CCW vertical photo with the top to the right and the 90 degree CW vertical photo with the top to the left.

« Reply #686 on: 12 / June / 2010, 20:45:09 »
Yup, the 90 degrees clockwise taken photos are upside down (the EXIF info is wrong). I just realized that I automatically take vertical pictures that way because my previous camera had a flash on its left side.

Offline SkyWalker9

• SX20 IS (fw 1.02b)
« Reply #687 on: 13 / June / 2010, 20:05:08 »
Since many of the FW versions are still being worked, this might be of interest when you start testing the builds. I wrote a script that generates a "snapshot in time" report of the camera settings using the currently available "get" statements in CHDK uBasic - with the exception of "get_platform_id" and "get_tv".

You can find it here: http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,5326.0.html
« Last Edit: 14 / June / 2010, 09:44:45 by SkyWalker9 »

« Reply #688 on: 14 / June / 2010, 15:31:43 »
Hi
Not trying to be boring or bug anyone, but does anyone know if 1.02D is being worked on ?
Thanks

Offline f_m_b

« Reply #689 on: 14 / June / 2010, 18:07:44 »
Greetings Frank
SX20 (1.02b)